The Ultimate Duffus trap & (D)Evolution Of The Duffus Trap

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very true Tiercel...   I have always faught shy of educating folk about any form of trapping,.more so, the activities that earn't my wages. Many times, I have been asked by reps and suchlike, to g

I was gonna, but i thought i had pushed things too far tonight. I didnt want a rambo style attack, as you would have no doubt, broke a nail or two   If this project comes off, i can see a bright fu

As i understand it, prototypes should be available within weeks. As for production, i suppose that all depends on if the prototypes need any alterations done and everyone is happy with them.   The

Old trap collector.

Do you know if the Tinsley trap was made at Tinsley wire steel works in Sheffield ??

IWM.

No, it wa smade by Eliza Tinsley (e Tinsley & Co), Cradley Heath, Staffs (now West Mids)

I think trap collecting could be something i could get in to. I found myself stopping at a car boot this morning to look around !!!!!.

iwm

• Like 1

I am no engineer but I do understand the logic of the pivot/lever - the setting pin is fixed at one end obviously, but where the pressure of the sprung loop strikes it will directly influence the pressure applied at the other end (the trigger). If the loop is closer to the fixed end the pressure at the trigger end will be less - I wonder if modification or experimentation in this would permit an easier to set trap, with a more sensitive, and more easily fired trigger?

Also, and I don't fully understand why, the setting pin on the original traps is a much higher diameter than the setting loops - it might be to save the wire bending when set, but it could have an equally valuable purpose I cannot deduce ... ?

I think trap collecting could be something i could get in to.

:toast: Be careful - before you know it, you start to dream about them and others can consider your interest in rust and chains to be quite unhealthy!

Most think pest control is a strange job so a few more strange looks is water of a ducks back.

iwm

My mate went and got out bid on the box, he had a word with the guy who brought and said would you want to sell the mole trap he said take it, so he got genuine duffus for nothing,

So, the old ones stamped "duffus" are collectable?

Yes. :thumbs:

Here is the Fenn double loop trap - flat, not curved, perhaps it is why it wasn't around for so long? Anyone got one that they could donate to my museum??

IMG_8282.jpg

errrmmm a little bit of wee has just come out :icon_redface:

thats a bit sexy isnt it...see if it was mine i would want it in the ground! imagine catching a double in that PHWOOOARR! :laugh:

• Like 2

I can't see any modern manufacturer going back to the 'laced wire' method of attaching the catching loops to the springs :no: (sadly).

It would be too time consuming and fiddly....

I think I now know why those holes have got bigger :yes:

Matt - why do you think the holes have got bigger? To accommodate the bigger loops perhaps?

The gap between the spring coils has also decreased to allow for the longer wires to fit on the same size base, it appears.

I do think there is value in adjusting the setting pin pivot, as explained in an earlier post though - worth them considering that if they don't already in the new manufacture - a reliable trap that can be safely set, but retains its sensitivity has to be a positive improvement IMO

Matt - why do you think the holes have got bigger? To accommodate the bigger loops perhaps?

It's to do with the assembly process :yes:

The hook and the bend which engages the hook wire are preformed (that loop is now stainless) and the holes have been made bigger to allow them to pass through prior to joining them together and squeezing them up :yes:

The gap between the spring coils has also decreased to allow for the longer wires to fit on the same size base, it appears.

Again, I think that's something to do with the assembly process. If those springs are pulled tightly down over the barrel they effectively give a gap between the catching loops when in the unset position :yes: If you look closely at a modern trap, the springs sit level rather than parallel with the barrel.

I do think there is value in adjusting the setting pin pivot, as explained in an earlier post though - worth them considering that if they don't already in the new manufacture - a reliable trap that can be safely set, but retains its sensitivity has to be a positive improvement IMO

You've hit the nail on the head there OTC :thumbs: A reliable trap that retains it sensitivity and outlasts everything else :yes: Utopia :thumbs:

I've got the single catch version, but never seen that one.

Is that single catch one you've got stamped 'Fenn' ??

If so, it's worth a bit :yes: well, I'd buy it anyway............ :laugh:

It's a genuine Fenn, but bl00dy useless IMO. I inherited all my mate's stuff and there is some real junk amongst it; scissor traps that you can't set because of the retaining link and some old tunnel traps that are similar in spec' to the Duffus Mk.2 that was included. There's a couple of Fenn Mk.IV rabbit traps too that I'll never use. I'll keep them just for the sentimental value.

It's to do with the assembly process :yes:

The hook and the bend which engages the hook wire are preformed (that loop is now stainless) and the holes have been made bigger to allow them to pass through prior to joining them together and squeezing them up :yes:

Again, I think that's something to do with the assembly process. If those springs are pulled tightly down over the barrel they effectively give a gap between the catching loops when in the unset position :yes: If you look closely at a modern trap, the springs sit level rather than parallel with the barrel.

You've hit the nail on the head there OTC :thumbs: A reliable trap that retains it sensitivity and outlasts everything else :yes: Utopia :thumbs:

I think, i like the sound of all this,...lol The more "technical" among you, seem to have alot of ideas,about how the trap,can be improved.I suppose the next step, would be to get some 'consensus' on it all,amongst those interested ? This can then be presented to the "manufacturer",for further consideration with him ? Maybe then we will know, what can be achieved,practically. Then with final agreement (with all), proceed,....I must say, its exciting stuff, & i hope it comes to 'fruition'.

Edited by earth-thrower