The Ultimate Duffus trap & (D)Evolution Of The Duffus Trap

I'm no mole catcher but I've been following this topic with interest,..

In all honesty I think most of its contributors don't appreciate how little work goes into producing things such as the body of a duffus trap.... If there is a hole that happens to be a couple off mm too big then the time it takes to correct is a matter of seconds and the cost minimal....

You have to consider just how far modern manufacturing has progressed over the last few decades....

If manufacturers aren't inclined to change things such as hole diameters then it's possible that they just don't want too...

Heritage, I know you're not into the moles, but really appreciate your input with your engineering background :thumbs:

As I understand it, there is some financial outlay needed to change the current set up and produce new tooling.

But..... the tooling currently in use will need to be refurbished before too long anyway, so any changes required could be incorporated into that refurbishment.

Anyway, we're not that far down the road yet. What's being suggested is that some copies of the original design could be made to see about the feasibility of offering them as an option within the current range of products on offer :yes:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very true Tiercel...   I have always faught shy of educating folk about any form of trapping,.more so, the activities that earn't my wages. Many times, I have been asked by reps and suchlike, to g

I was gonna, but i thought i had pushed things too far tonight. I didnt want a rambo style attack, as you would have no doubt, broke a nail or two   If this project comes off, i can see a bright fu

As i understand it, prototypes should be available within weeks. As for production, i suppose that all depends on if the prototypes need any alterations done and everyone is happy with them.   The

I'm no mole catcher but I've been following this topic with interest,..

In all honesty I think most of its contributors don't appreciate how little work goes into producing things such as the body of a duffus trap.... If there is a hole that happens to be a couple off mm too big then the time it takes to correct is a matter of seconds and the cost minimal....

You have to consider just how far modern manufacturing has progressed over the last few decades....

If manufacturers aren't inclined to change things such as hole diameters then it's possible that they just don't want too...

Heritage, I know you're not into the moles, but really appreciate your input with your engineering background :thumbs:

As I understand it, there is some financial outlay needed to change the current set up and produce new tooling.

But..... the tooling currently in use will need to be refurbished before too long anyway, so any changes required could be incorporated into that refurbishment.

Anyway, we're not that far down the road yet. What's being suggested is that some copies of the original design could be made to see about the feasibility of offering them as an option within the current range of products on offer :yes:

if a VERY few are made to see what they end up like i would very much like to try one....

and as for the priceing i for one would be happy with a increase in price ime currently paying a LOT for duffus type traps just because i think their the best i can find but with the prices nearly on par with the talpex its a bit much...

• Like 2

I couldn't really comment on the process used by the likes of flatpack to produce a duffus body as there are so many variables but as a guidline I'll tell you that I currently run a trumph cnc punch press with the programmes being written using radan software.....

If I were producing the trap bodies at work a change of hole diameter would take around 30 seconds ant the tooling cost would be around £100.....the tooling would be capable of punchin millions of holes before needing even the slightest amount of attention.

I'm not geared up to make this particular type of product but it is still well within my capabilities & if any one can supply the relevant dimensions I will gladly show you just how easy and effortless it can be with the use of modern technology.....

It would be bloody boring though :)

• Like 3

I couldn't really comment on the process used by the likes of flatpack to produce a duffus body as there are so many variables but as a guidline I'll tell you that I currently run a trumph cnc punch press with the programmes being written using radan software.....

If I were producing the trap bodies at work a change of hole diameter would take around 30 seconds ant the tooling cost would be around £100.....the tooling would be capable of punchin millions of holes before needing even the slightest amount of attention.

I'm not geared up to make this particular type of product but it is still well within my capabilities & if any one can supply the relevant dimensions I will gladly show you just how easy and effortless it can be with the use of modern technology.....

It would be bloody boring though :)

matt you know when i was asking about buying a few dozen springs...well ive just found my trap bodies :whistling:

• Like 1

Went to have a look at a game farm auction today and tucked away in a box of junk was an original duffus stamped the lot, little bit of rust but could clearly see the name, springs in tacked, the auction is tomorrow but I can't get to go :( not good at all

Went to have a look at a game farm auction today and tucked away in a box of junk was an original duffus stamped the lot, little bit of rust but could clearly see the name, springs in tacked, the auction is tomorrow but I can't get to go :( not good at all

phone the auction house and leave a bid with the auctioner or get them to ring you and do it over the phone ;)

• Like 1

As promised, here are a few pics of the Duffus variations

The early traps have the J Duffus & Sons name along with the Patent on the side of the barrel

IMG_8157.jpg

IMG_8158.jpg

The wire attachment of the choker loops shown here

IMG_8161.jpg

In the years of development, I cannot be sure whether before or after the sale of the company and tooling to Mr Jolly, there were other variations made -

One trap, stamped FARMQUIP on one side is a match for design, materials and size/weight as the JD&S traps so I can only summise it was produced by them

IMG_8164.jpg

Another variation has the turned up edges that cover the ends of the spring coils - none of these are marked but it is a similar trap

IMG_8163.jpg

This trap has got metal clips to fix the choker loops to the springs but is an original variation

IMG_8166.jpg

The four known types are shown here, note how the fixing for the springs/choker loops has altered but the base/barrel part remains identical to the original dimensions

IMG_8167.jpg

Later, more modern fabrications often have the makers names etched or embossed on the side of the barrel. These photos show the Flatack and Duffus side by side for comparison.

IMG_8171.jpg

IMG_8169.jpg

Trap Man and ALBI

IMG_8155.jpg

AB Country Products (Springer)

IMG_8152.jpg

TINSLEY - a very heavy, well made trap, and much more like the original

IMG_8154.jpg

Fenn and Springer also made their own versions of the double loop traps but I do not have these to photograph.

This last trap, in its original box was sold by George Wilkinson of Burnley, but probably not made by them

IMG_8149.jpg

I hope that these are of some educational use to you

OTC

• Like 3

Yes, the McPherson was a rabbit trap. David Imrie trialled it for MAF

If you need any dimensions of the JD&S traps etc, just ask while I have them out

Thank you.

Imrie definitely refers to a MacPherson mole trap. I wondered if that was between JND and Jolly? I'll copy the passage out in two ticks :thumbs:

This is the passage I was on about, from Lakeland Gamekeeper (1949):

There are three main types of mole trap; the wooden barrel, the pincer, and what used to be known as the McPherson trap. The latter was evolved about Blairgowrie, Scotland, I believe by a McPherson. It acts after the fashion of a mouse trap, now rarely seen, which was made of wood, and had several tunnels. A wire sprang up when the mouse touched the bait and pinned it to the roof of the tunnel.

This mole trap which works on the same principle is a half tunnel of galvanised metal. There is a loop of wire at each end. Two moles can, therefore, be caught in it. The loops are pulled upwards by springs, when the moles press forward the triggers.

Certainly sounds like the Duffus?

Imrie may well have got confused; but I would expect him to get something like this, about a fellow countryman, right.

It's also worth considering that JND was born in 1864 and was already in his sixties when he and his sons invented their trap.

Interesting stuff :yes:

Sorry, yes, the McPherson mole trap was a full barrel wooden tube, that acted the same as a Duffus, there is one illustrated in the Rural Reflections book, incorrectly attributed to being an early Duffus

Ahh, that explains it :yes:

Again, thank you :notworthy: At times like these your knowledge is second to none :thumbs: