The Ultimate Duffus trap & (D)Evolution Of The Duffus Trap

I wonder how long it would take for them to modify, test and market them? Can we expect to see them available for sale in the next few months or next year, do you think?

As i understand it, prototypes should be available within weeks.

As for production, i suppose that all depends on if the prototypes need any alterations done and everyone is happy with them.

The trouble is, you cannot send a prototype to everyone who may be a potential customer, it will have to "do the rounds" everyone involved agree, then get the go ahead.

I would hope to see them in production over the summer.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very true Tiercel...   I have always faught shy of educating folk about any form of trapping,.more so, the activities that earn't my wages. Many times, I have been asked by reps and suchlike, to g

I was gonna, but i thought i had pushed things too far tonight. I didnt want a rambo style attack, as you would have no doubt, broke a nail or two   If this project comes off, i can see a bright fu

As i understand it, prototypes should be available within weeks. As for production, i suppose that all depends on if the prototypes need any alterations done and everyone is happy with them.   The

A friend of mine went over to Yorkshire last month and smuggled back 10 stainless Flatpack traps bought direct from the company. There is a story there, but I won't go into that now. I got chance to look over the traps today and compare them with those I bought a couple of years ago and some more recent purchases. Just to remind those who have been following this thread I got a batch of Flatpack Ultimate Stainless traps about three years ago, another batch 6 months later and a third batch last year. The traps from each batch are different and in my opinion, they are progressively getting worse.

Batch 1; 65m across, heavy gauge stainless body, springs and loops.

Batch 2: 65mm across, less heavy gauge body, similar springs and loops.

Batch 3: 74mm across, thinner still body material with slightly grey powder coating and slightly weaker wire used in the loops.

The ones my friend bought are even worse than my third batch. They are still 74mm across the body which is far too wide for my liking. Remember the original Duffus traps are 60mm wide. When setting them I could feel that the spring was not as strong as my other traps and when I got some of them out of the van to compare it was obvious that the springs on the new traps were weaker than my three year old traps and each of the other type. It gets worse! The trigger loops travelled so far back before triggering the trap that they were almost touching each other, I got my small pliers out to bend them forward as I have done with all the Flatpack traps and again it was noticeable that the trigger loops were of a softer material to the older traps. Same with adjusting the trigger latches. Soft as putty compared to the hard work needed to adjust the older traps. Something definitely changed in the wire work. I fettled all the traps and also squashed them down to 65mm wide as I have done with my newer batch of Flatpacks. But whereas I needed a vice to squeeze the older traps, the new ones could be done by hand. The metal is much thinner than the older traps as is evident by the stamping of the Flatpack name showing through the reverse side of the trap body.

The only good news is that the traps do run smooth and can be fettled in a lot less time. However, it does raise questions about the longevity of these traps. Maybe my first batch are over engineered and traps don't need to be made as strong as these? Talking of questions though; when I asked Flatpack if they had changed their design or materials after receiving my third batch they denied it. But the evidence is there for me to see. The new traps are the same prices as before, but they ain't the same quality as before.

• Like 2

can I add my tuppence worth here... bear in mind this is the first time I have read this thread.... I had one (and have still got) one of FP's original SS traps, it's the bollocks,think it was 3 yrs ago I had it, This year.. After waiting 6 weeks for the 50 I ordered,(and said I needed them urgently) with no apology other than we got your address wrong (hmm, bit of a cop out... as some others had waited the same amount of time) the batch I have are much inferior thinner guage ss, making them a bit flimsy to say the least, I have at least 10 of the new traps on the floor in the back of my van because the up and over pins ( I dont know the name-nor can I be bothered to look it up) have fallen off, there may even be one or two in the hedge somewhere, I chuck my traps into heavy duty plastic feed bags, have never had a problem with them before (all are FP) this batch of 50 are not up to the standard of the galv ones I bought in 2011, and I will be asking for some replacements, I have never tried anyone else's.. ... So .... here goes!!! Stick my neck out, FP aren't the only engineering firm that can produce these traps in the UK... so if Matt, OTC, Nicepix can send me Exact diagrams, measurement of the perfect trap, I'll get a price for punching them out, forming them and getting quality springs fitted... I can't blow smoke up FP's arse, they haven't done me any favours !!

• Like 2

FPT have gotten a bit too big for their boots. I too am awaiting a quotation for tunnel traps from elsewhere. SS and to a truer dimension. Swanseajack, they had me waiting only 28 days, so i guess i was fortunate, however, one of the springs have already popped off the body, this was with the first mole! :cray: not good.

• Like 1

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed that the current 'Ultimate' trap isn't as 'ultimate' as the 'Ultimate' traps sold for the same price three years ago. Thanks Swansea Jack for the confirmation.

As I understand it Flatpack started out making traps for Bethel Rhodes. Well, would you believe that now Flatpack are out sourcing their mole traps to John Binns (Springs) Ltd just down the road at Skipton. That is where my friend went last month to collect his traps. So, as John Darcy correctly points out, Flatpack seem to have got too big for their boots and can't handle the business. Or don't want to.

Give me a few days and I'll try and borrow a micrometer to check the thickness of sheet and wire being used on the old and new traps. I can tell from eye that the body is a hell of a lot thinner than the original 'Ultimate' and from feel that the wires are softer.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 2

now...if someone could invent a talpex that could catch doubles....hhmmmm.....

Its already here, its called "two taplex traps"

No, it isn't. I'll tell you what it's called when I name it once I've finished testing it. :thumbs::yes: :yes:

Oh, and guys, don't be in a rush to put any big orders in at FP....there might just be a better, cheaper SS on the market at the end of summer......

• Like 3

now...if someone could invent a talpex that could catch doubles....hhmmmm.....

Its already here, its called "two taplex traps"

No, it isn't. I'll tell you what it's called when I name it once I've finished testing it. :thumbs::yes: :yes:

Oh, and guys, don't be in a rush to put any big orders in at FP....there might just be a better, cheaper SS on the market at the end of summer......

I'd be interested in buying thirty traps later this year. I can get Flatpacks brought over, but am reluctant to order any more unseen given their deteriorating quality.

Well interesting discussion, I ain't got any of the flat packs that I am aware of, one thing that I have found with a lot of barrel type traps is there is a tendency for the trap spring arms to be too close together, painful on the fingers on occasion, but dependent on the quality of materials if there is any brittleness in the wire they smash which renders the trap useless, if folks look at the original there is a reasonable gap as in the pic's at the start of the post, had a couple of UK manufactured traps do this.

Well interesting discussion, I ain't got any of the flat packs that I am aware of, one thing that I have found with a lot of barrel type traps is there is a tendency for the trap spring arms to be too close together, painful on the fingers on occasion, but dependent on the quality of materials if there is any brittleness in the wire they smash which renders the trap useless, if folks look at the original there is a reasonable gap as in the pic's at the start of the post, had a couple of UK manufactured traps do this.

:yes: I would agree with you there ...

It ain't no joke, catching your fingers/hand, twixt the spring arms,.on a cold and frosty morning... :laugh:

Very interested if someone can produce a similar trap as i'm just sick of waiting and waiting after you place an order .

Orederd some spare hooks they even took 2 weeks to arrive.

My friend who was in Keighley phoned up asking about buying ten traps and they told him to go to Binns Springs at Skipton and pick them up next day. No problem.

• 3 weeks later...

jim!! i have finaly got you onto the hunting life!