The Ultimate Duffus trap & (D)Evolution Of The Duffus Trap

I haven't got a micrometer and to be fair, the old Duffus has suffered a bit of corrosion on the wires but I'd wager that the loops on the modern S/S Flatpacks are a tad thicker and of a harder temper than the Duffus. I form this opinion based on filing the burrs off the trigger latches and bending the trigger wires. On a FP I have to use pliers to hold the top of the loop while I push the bottom of the loop forward. And it is a hard push. With the old trap I can do it just using my thumbs. I'm only talking about the stainless wires on the FP. I found the regular version of the FP traps had more malleable loops though so S/S is the way to go and squeeze the bodies in.

The version I mentioned earlier with the stronger body is also smoother to set than the other types of FP traps. With the S/S versions of FP traps I would tune them so they were like Arkwright's till and sometimes they would go off when placing them, but I put up with that. After a couple of weeks they settled down and after a month or so I tuned them again and that was that. they never needed touching again. And I didn't have to do that little trick with the triggers after placing the traps either.

I'm driving over in Oct / Nov and might just pop over to Skipton with the versions of S/S taps and ask them about them. I know I'm only small fry but they advertise sets of three traps and so should be geared up for us Mickey Mouse outfits.

That's interesting Nicepix :yes:

To be fair, I've never actually seen one of the stainless versions up close and personal; as I posted earlier, the problems I had with my original batch of Flatpacks put me off ordering any more :yes:

I'd ask, nay beg, anyone reading this with an interest in the subject to get hold of Flatpack ASAP and ask them to read what's been written here :yes:

Here's a link to their contact page :thumbs:

I still believe the half barrel trap, overall, is the best 'design' of mole trap, but the only way the manufacturers might address,concerns, is if sales of the trap started to plummet ? However, i know this isnt going to happen,because theres alot of reliance,on this type.The challenge for me now, is to carry on without them,.....cause i could be doing with a good number of new ones, but i refuse to buy anymore,the way things are ? The last new traps i had, were a small number of "bethels", from a member on here, who very kindly,sent me them.I tried to adjust the 'loops' on one,with pliers, and the wire snapped !! ,.....never had that before (with a new trap),so that was the last straw !,.....lol Virtually, all my old stock, arent fit for purpose,anymore,......ha ha

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very true Tiercel...   I have always faught shy of educating folk about any form of trapping,.more so, the activities that earn't my wages. Many times, I have been asked by reps and suchlike, to g

I was gonna, but i thought i had pushed things too far tonight. I didnt want a rambo style attack, as you would have no doubt, broke a nail or two   If this project comes off, i can see a bright fu

As i understand it, prototypes should be available within weeks. As for production, i suppose that all depends on if the prototypes need any alterations done and everyone is happy with them.   The

The Duffus is 150mm long by 60mm across. Same as the 'regular' Flatpack is now that I've squashed it. The stainless FP is 150mm x 65 after squashing, 150mm x 74mm prior to being altered.

Regards tuning; Using a Dremmel with a grinding wheel and small pliers I can do a Stainless FP in under two minutes. Then about 30 seconds to a minute a few weeks later. After that it doesn't need touching. The regular FP was a matter of seconds. Just push the loops forward with thumbs. But I haven't used them for long enough to know whether they will need a re-tune.

" using a Dremmel with a grinding wheel,....." , well, thats getting rather 'technical' for me.Im not that 'handy', so im never going to have alot of tools, a vice, workshop,etc,....ha ha.Usually got by, with a few pair of pliers,though,.....lol

Edited by earth-thrower

One of the problems is that anything of quality manufactured in the UK will cost more than a similar item imported from the Far East. And while anglers and shooters will happily pay over the odds for an item of tackle mole catchers seem reluctant to spend a quid more than they have to.

200 stainless Flatpacks would cost in the region of £1300 and would probably last over five years of hard use. That's just over £250 a year some of which could be wrote off against tax. Its a packet of fags a day for a month.

Edited by Nicepix

The Duffus is 150mm long by 60mm across. Same as the 'regular' Flatpack is now that I've squashed it. The stainless FP is 150mm x 65 after squashing, 150mm x 74mm prior to being altered.

Regards tuning; Using a Dremmel with a grinding wheel and small pliers I can do a Stainless FP in under two minutes. Then about 30 seconds to a minute a few weeks later. After that it doesn't need touching. The regular FP was a matter of seconds. Just push the loops forward with thumbs. But I haven't used them for long enough to know whether they will need a re-tune.

" using a Dremmel with a grinding wheel,....." , well, thats getting rather 'technical' for me.Im not that 'handy', so im never going to have alot of tools, a vice, workshop,etc,....ha ha.Usually got by, with a few pair of pliers,though,.....lol

I'm useless at DIY. I used to file them manually, but Lidl were selling power tools at €17 so I use that now. The vice was a tenner.

Just bending the wire doesn't solve the problem of swarf from the cutting machine causing the trigger to hang at the last point of contact.

Bethels are shit IMO....I said that 4 years ago on a thread and many disagreed. the wire was like putty, to soft and the mole would probably bend the wire if it wanted to. I do like the FP, though they seem to have put their prices up. I've got a few stainless and I really like them, but they';re expensive too and I think that the spring strength is maybe just a tad on the strong side....I've had lots of success with them though...now...if someone could invent a talpex that could catch doubles....hhmmmm.....

I'm useless at DIY. I used to file them manually, but Lidl were selling power tools at €17 so I use that now. The vice was a tenner.

Just bending the wire doesn't solve the problem of swarf from the cutting machine causing the trigger to hang at the last point of contact.

I like your thinking,there,...

Bethels are shit IMO....I said that 4 years ago on a thread and many disagreed. the wire was like putty, to soft and the mole would probably bend the wire if it wanted to. I do like the FP, though they seem to have put their prices up. I've got a few stainless and I really like them, but they';re expensive too and I think that the spring strength is maybe just a tad on the strong side....I've had lots of success with them though...now...if someone could invent a talpex that could catch doubles....hhmmmm.....

Ha ha, dont hold back, now,..

Ha ha, dont hold back, now,..

i have it all in my head as to how that could be done!! just got to put it into action....

Stand by your beds :toast:

I've had a reply from Flat Pack via e-mail..... :yes:

I'll report back to you all later this week, but I suspect we may have made some progress :thumbs:

Really? I am surprised. But hey, if they are willing to listen to thier customers and perhaps make a few wee changes, then they could be on course to be the best manufacturer of half barrels anywhere.

• Like 2

I'll report back to you all later this week, but I suspect we may have made some progress :thumbs:

I've been waiting almost two weeks to have my Flat Pack order delivered. Please don't do anything to distract them! :laugh:

• Like 1

i too have send them a e-mail but as yet no reply...

i do look forward to any progress thou,see i would like to like duffus traps but as it stands i just cant get on with them and i fear now its going to take a lot to get me to move from talpex,