My Northern Goshawk

sean goshawk

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi ive been flying birds or prey for ten year and I had a female harris I had for many years.and then got myself a female gos this is a andy hunter breed bird and only this year bird ive only took 60

more

Well after spending a good few weeks on rope pulls me and the mate went out for a rook to see if she'll get one and seen this grey back sitting close to a hedge and let the Gos see it and took off aft

Posted Images

Hi Sean

Its nice to see some rabbits for a change.

They are few and far between over here.

Its also good to see the use of a hood, not many people use them nowadays which to me is a mistake and shows a lack of skill.

Thank you.ive got to use the hood as I wouldn't trust her around other hawks as I think she will nail them as I was out with a mates gos and mine and she was bating like mad to get at his bird.so for safety reasons I use the hood.

Hi Sean

Its also good to see the use of a hood, not many people use them nowadays which to me is a mistake and shows a lack of skill.

how do you work that out? ive never used a hood, I like my gos bomb proof, its each to their own, nothing to do with skill

Hi Sean

how do you work that out? ive never used a hood, I like my gos bomb proof, its each to their own, nothing to do with skill

Unfortunately a lot of guys don't know how to hood a bird.

It has nothing to do with making a hawk bombproof, - manning them does that,

But hooding does have a lot of advantages. Whether you choose to hood or not, that is your choice.

I wouldn't have a hawk if I couldn't hood it.

That's just my humble opinion and I'm not entering into a debate about it. :icon_eek:

Hi Sean

But hooding does have a lot of advantages. Whether you choose to hood or not, that is your choice.

That's just my humble opinion and I'm not entering into a debate about it. :icon_eek:

I agree with you David some people can't hood a bird .as ive always trained my hawks to the hood as I had a Harris that was never bought up with dogs and every time she seen one she bates like mad to get away from the dog or fly to the nearest tree.and I'm lucky I can make my own hood to save hassle sending hoods back that doesn't fit right.

Hi Sean

Oh go on david.....enter into a debate about it.......that's what we lack on the falconry section!

I with you in principle........ But there's a way round everything, as I found out......I even done all my imping unhooded & never cast my gos either, with very little manning....

Edited by Accip74

Oh go on david.....enter into a debate about it.......that's what we lack on the falconry section!

Sorry mate, but I can't be bothered. Life's too short to argue about such things :boogy:

I do what works for me and my hawks,though I can't think of a single reason not to hood [or at least learn how to do it ].

I flew a Pere x saker at crows and gulls and I always used the hood to get into a decent position and range and allowed me to pick and choose the slips and I do the same with the gos when hunting crows.

It also makes equipping the bird or coping etc somewhat easier.

I agree, everyone has their own way of doing things, its just I'm always right.................LOL

• Like 1

Hi Sean

Do you know if Andy Hunter has sold that young female gos yet?

Hi David I was speaking to Andy a few weeks back and had a good few people asking asking about it and I mate was thinking of buying it.but never got it.so I think its still there as I still see the ad up on it.as I know hell delivery it to Scotland and Ireland.as that bird came out of the pen at 3lb 2oz its a lump of a bird Edited by sean goshawk

Sorry mate, but I can't be bothered. Life's too short to argue about such things :boogy:

I do what works for me and my hawks,though I can't think of a single reason not to hood [or at least learn how to do it ].

I flew a Pere x saker at crows and gulls and I always used the hood to get into a decent position and range and allowed me to pick and choose the slips and I do the same with the gos when hunting crows.

It also makes equipping the bird or coping etc somewhat easier.

I agree, everyone has their own way of doing things, its just I'm always right.................LOL

Who said anything about having an argument??

This section is pretty dull at best, so it's good to hear any debate from experienced people like yourself & I mean that genuinely........rather than the usual 'nice hawk mate' or ' my hawk caught this.....'

I'd always assumed hooding was a 'must' for a falcon & somewhat easier.....

But I think there are advantages to not hooding a gos as well........imping for example can be done stress free & equipping as well without need of hood or casting......just my opinion...