Mole Trapping Prices

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£10 per mole wouldn't get me out of my own garden by the time you pay for the traps, time, travel, public liability insurance (hope you have it?) advertising costs, accountants fees, running costs for

Whatever you charge is your own business but now you have declared yourself a professional prepare for the knock on the door late at night . Or maybe a group of hooded, velvet gloved enforcers from on

But for your £70 you will need to go back at least once more maybe 3 so then its £35 or £ 23 per visit!! or is it £70 visit   I also do a local school playing field, but do it for free, my children

Posted Images

Was looking at mole prices online, a chap in Surrey charges "just £90 for the 1st mole" and a discount for any others caught for domestic gardens

That is serious dosh.

I had a guy phone up last year asking for the rate to clear his moles. I didn't want the job as it involved 90 minutes travelling each way and was nowhere near anywhere else I regularly visit, so I quoted €300 after explaining the reasoning. He booked me and I took one mole out of his garden. Same again this year.

Was looking at mole prices online, a chap in Surrey charges "just £90 for the 1st mole" and a discount for any others caught for domestic gardens

That is serious dosh.

Ive heard it can vary between £40 to £90, for a single mole, in a garden ?,.....up and down the UK ?,.....(personally, i wouldnt be all that comfortable, charging £90, for just one ,....lol,.....but 'well done', too anyone, who does, & gets it !) Ive had a recent one (guy with one field, & his garden, bordering it), where the customer wanted too pay, the same rates, for two caught in his garden, as what i was charging, for the moles, in his field !,.......ha ha

Edited by earth-thrower

The garden / field conundrum? :hmm:

It happens quite a lot out here. Given that land is so cheap people end up buying a house that comes with up to 3 hectares that they can't do anything with, and so either fence most of it off or more usually just cut the grass where it matters to them and leave the rest wild. I'll get a call to do the moles in the garden area and invariably they don't want to pay for clearing the field area. We all know that if you just did this, as soon as your back is turned the ones outside the garden will invariably find their way inside. I give a guarantee that if there are new molehills in the week after I've finished I'll return FOC and clear the new infestation. But when the customer will not pay for me to clear the obvious activity in the field area that guarantee is null and void. If the neighbouring land is mole infested and owned by someone else I'll often leave a couple or more old Putanges that are coming to the end of their usable life in suitable commuting tunnels and seal up the trap site leaving them to do their dark deeds un-noticed by the customer, and hopefully warding off any in guarantee recall :ninja:

There is no easy answer and I would imagine that there are all sorts of factors that might affect some mole trappers and not others.

It happens quite a lot out here. Given that land is so cheap people end up buying a house that comes with up to 3 hectares that they can't do anything with, and so either fence most of it off or more usually just cut the grass where it matters to them and leave the rest wild. I'll get a call to do the moles in the garden area and invariably they don't want to pay for clearing the field area. We all know that if you just did this, as soon as your back is turned the ones outside the garden will invariably find their way inside. I give a guarantee that if there are new molehills in the week after I've finished I'll return FOC and clear the new infestation. But when the customer will not pay for me to clear the obvious activity in the field area that guarantee is null and void. If the neighbouring land is mole infested and owned by someone else I'll often leave a couple or more old Putanges that are coming to the end of their usable life in suitable commuting tunnels and seal up the trap site leaving them to do their dark deeds un-noticed by the customer, and hopefully warding off any in guarantee recall :ninja:

There is no easy answer and I would imagine that there are all sorts of factors that might affect some mole trappers and not others.

Very interesting, mate,..."if the neighbouring land is mole infested and owned by someone else I'll often leave a couple or more old putanges that are coming to the end of their usable life in suitable commuting tunnels and seal up the trap site leaving them to do their dark dees un-noticed by the customer, and hopefully warding off any in guarantee recall",..........i understand, why you do this, ?,.... but its a step too far, for me personally(intercepting moles from neighbouring land),.......just too be sure,of a 'guarantee', in situations like that ? Its bound to end in a programme of continued, 'ongoing control', anyway,...is it not ?,.....for the clients lawn, to remain 'mole free'.

Very interesting, mate,..."if the neighbouring land is mole infested and owned by someone else I'll often leave a couple or more old putanges that are coming to the end of their usable life in suitable commuting tunnels and seal up the trap site leaving them to do their dark dees un-noticed by the customer, and hopefully warding off any in guarantee recall",..........i understand, why you do this, ?,.... but its a step too far, for me personally(intercepting moles from neighbouring land),.......just too be sure,of a 'guarantee', in situations like that ? Its bound to end in a programme of continued, 'ongoing control', anyway,...is it not ?,.....for the clients lawn, to remain 'mole free'.

I get a lot of repeat business and referrals from clients now days. As long as they are 'mole free' or more accurately mole hill free for the week after I've finished I can be satisfied that I have trapped all the moles in the land I was paid to clear. But if there are tunnels leading from neighbouring areas that obviously have moles then there would be a god chance of a neighbouring mole travelling into the garden. If that mole has to repair or extend a tunnel and throws up a molehill I would have to return and start putting traps down again. Dependent on the location - distance and likelihood of me being back in the same area the following weeks, I might opt to swing the odds a bit in my favour. I might be back in a few month's time or the following spring, but at least I've done what I promise to do.

An increasing number are now opting for the contract work where I leave several pairs of Putanges out permanently and check them several times a month. It is surprising how many moles are trapped in these permanent traps with no signs of there having been a mole in the garden.

There's lots of different pricing methods

My preference is ... Fixed price for the first mole + £xxx for any other mole or moles. ( domestics)

I see other mole men near me charge

A one off price covering everything

£xxx trap set up fee + £xxx for every mole caught

20 - 40p per mile from home to job... Then set up fee , then... No mole no fee + £xxx per mole

£xxx call out + " no mole no fee + £xxx any other mole

+ lots of variables of the above

Hourly rate: £30. Tax: 1/3=£10, Business costs: 1/3=£10, Income: £10.

Sitting in a car for an hour driving 40 miles, say charging 50p/mile= £20 so working for £20/PH gross, income is 1/3: £6.66, less than minimum wage.

Sitting in a car for an hour driving 40 miles, say charging 50p/mile= £20 so working for £20/PH gross, income is 1/3: £6.66, less than minimum wage.

Agree with you, but that is for one job in one area! I personally would not drive over 25 miles for any job, (for I am a part timer who works else where as well)

But if you have say 3 jobs all fairly close by then your income is nearer to £15-£18.

I try and combine work with other things I need to do, eg shopping

I get a lot of repeat business and referrals from clients now days. As long as they are 'mole free' or more accurately mole hill free for the week after I've finished I can be satisfied that I have trapped all the moles in the land I was paid to clear. But if there are tunnels leading from neighbouring areas that obviously have moles then there would be a god chance of a neighbouring mole travelling into the garden. If that mole has to repair or extend a tunnel and throws up a molehill I would have to return and start putting traps down again. Dependent on the location - distance and likelihood of me being back in the same area the following weeks, I might opt to swing the odds a bit in my favour. I might be back in a few month's time or the following spring, but at least I've done what I promise to do.

An increasing number are now opting for the contract work where I leave several pairs of Putanges out permanently and check them several times a month. It is surprising how many moles are trapped in these permanent traps with no signs of there having been a mole in the garden.

Yes mate, the 'contract' option, too me, would seem to be more appropriate, overall ?,......offering 'guarantees' with mole catching, is always 'tricky',....lol,.....which is why, i generally dont !,...lol (but i understand, your approach) cheers, (good stuff, this)

Agree with you, but that is for one job in one area! I personally would not drive over 25 miles for any job, (for I am a part timer who works else where as well)

But if you have say 3 jobs all fairly close by then your income is nearer to £15-£18.

I try and combine work with other things I need to do, eg shopping

That's basically what I try and do; arrange my week so that the jobs are in the same sector and then fit in the contract job checks amongst those. I've just finished a block booking where one former client with a pocket handkerchief garden and only ever one visiting mole from next door, booked me to do her garden, her parent's garden 5 minutes away, a friend's nearby and another friend just up the road. So instead of her paying travelling fees plus the trapping fee, they all paid the trapping fees (x4) plus a quarter of the travelling fee. Saves them money and me time and diesel hacking about the countryside. And as I have three contract clients in the same postcode everyone's a winner.

If someone enquires about me clearing a holiday home garden when they are due to arrive out if a few weeks time, I'll suggest that I do the work before they come out and have it clear by the time they arrive. That way I can fit it in around my other constraints and save myself a bit of time and travelling costs.

Everybody's situation is different and you have to make it fit your own circumstances.

Edited by Nicepix

If you're paying a third of your gross bud I would change your accountant!!

• Like 2