What Deer Calibre For First Deer Rifle.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From reading this it's clear you know little about shooting deer as well The vast majority of deer legal rounds i.e. .243 .308 etc will pass "right through and some"

Absolutely mate. But the way I see it if I apply the same safe shooting practices I do now with .22lr, .22-250 etc I should be alright. I know they will be an extremely greater bullet weight/velocity

Not pedantic at all, and no technically about it, either it is correct or not, and in this case I am 100% correct, so now you know, it will save the embarrassing silence, when you are corrected at a B

If you like/get on with, your 22-250 you will probably like the .270. :thumbs:

Personal choice and all that but I don't like/rate either particularly.

Versatility wise you will not do much better than a .243, the ammo choice leaves it as a superb longer range foxing tool (you don't need it for 50 yard foxes) and all deer capable as well. There are no minimum Boar regulations, only suggestion, and when you have an Open FAC with AOLQ you can do what you want.

My .308 was bought with the main objective of Boar, but it gets some target/zeroing use and very occasionally on deer (I have never found my .243 lacking on any UK deer).

There are a lot of calibres/guns out there, everyones situation/land/objectives/preferences are different, if it works for you that's all that matters!

Hi all just spoke to the feo and he said I can have my first deer calibre. He suggested a .308 although I was thinking a .270, 6.5x55 or my favourite a .30-06.

What do you guys think?

Regards

Dan

I'm sure you know that .243 is the minimum legal caliber for deer but so many other things to consider like the distances you re looking to shoot at given the vastly different trajectory of a .243 v .308. Added to that the type of quarry you are looking to shoot. But if wild boar is something you are looking to hunt then 30-06 sounds plausible but good luck getting a ticket for that!

Hi all just spoke to the feo and he said I can have my first deer calibre. He suggested a .308 although I was thinking a .270, 6.5x55 or my favourite a .30-06.

What do you guys think?

Regards

Dan

I'm sure you know that .243 is the minimum legal caliber for deer but so many other things to consider like the distances you re looking to shoot at given the vastly different trajectory of a .243 v .308. Added to that the type of quarry you are looking to shoot. But if wild boar is something you are looking to hunt then 30-06 sounds plausible but good luck getting a ticket for that!

Actually .243 is not the legal minimum, on large deer, it is .240.

What do you guys think?

Regards

Dan

technically correct but rather pedantic.. .243 is the normal calibre most would use IMHO

some countries have a "thing" about civilian use of military calibres, so 30-06 maybe a more sensible choice

its a necked down .30-06

.30-03 Charlie.

Still a big cartridge though.

No Alsone the .270 winchester is derived from a necked down .30-06 not the earlier, very short run .30-03 which was considered underpowered, so was altered and became the .30-06, the .25-06 .270, are simply necked down versions of the .30-06, parent case.

• Like 2

What do you guys think?

Regards

Dan

technically correct but rather pedantic.. .243 is the normal calibre most would use IMHO

Not pedantic at all, and no technically about it, either it is correct or not, and in this case I am 100% correct, so now you know, it will save the embarrassing silence, when you are corrected at a BDS meeting or such like, and why would getting a .30-06 be difficult? I know plenty of stalkers using one and bigger :icon_eek: pal of mine uses .338 win mag.

• Like 4

I spoke to the feo Friday and he said I can have either I want. I've decided on the .30-06 as a do it all cartridge feo said I can have a dedicated deer and a 2nd dedicated boar calibre but decided have 1 for all occasions so I think the .30-06 is for me.

After a 320 yard head shot crow yesterday with my zastava .22-250 I've also decided to get another zastava chambered in .30-06 as I love my zastava.

Thanks all for helping me decide a pleasure as always to have some sound advice

• Like 1

Again I disagree, it was more assisting him given he was quoting .270 or .308, most people will go for .243, throwing in .240 when there are limited calibers at that in the UK could merely confuse, hence .243.. as for embarrassing silences, not concerned about them.. I know that technically it is .240 but who uses it in the UK, it is a guide which most follow to go to .243 or .270? Why confuse the guy when .243 is the most used & widely recognised or higher..

Let's drop it we clearly have a different perspective on this.

What do you guys think?

Regards

Dan

Not pedantic at all, and no technically about it, either it is correct or not, and in this case I am 100% correct, so now you know, it will save the embarrassing silence, when you are corrected at a BDS meeting or such like, and why would getting a .30-06 be difficult? I know plenty of stalkers using one and bigger :icon_eek: pal of mine uses .338 win mag.

My 300rum was conditioned deer boar fox and aolq made a mess of magpies I can tell you lol I didn't have any worries getting it

• Like 3