What Deer Calibre For First Deer Rifle.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From reading this it's clear you know little about shooting deer as well The vast majority of deer legal rounds i.e. .243 .308 etc will pass "right through and some"

Absolutely mate. But the way I see it if I apply the same safe shooting practices I do now with .22lr, .22-250 etc I should be alright. I know they will be an extremely greater bullet weight/velocity

Not pedantic at all, and no technically about it, either it is correct or not, and in this case I am 100% correct, so now you know, it will save the embarrassing silence, when you are corrected at a B

I had a feeling someone would have said that lol. I've grown an attachment to my little .22-250 :(

not put many rounds through it only just run in lol.

Do big calibre rifles barrels wear like a .22-250 or am I better getting 1 new?

Would love another Mauser action and would part with the .22-250 for an all round rifle :(

Although I will cry haha

That's exactly what I love about my .22-250 the flattness I know I'm not going to get a deer calibre to shoot anything like it. Although muzzle flip is harsh as I haven't yet got a mod.

Do you know if 6.5x55 is ok to shoot boar?

.308 min I believe for boar. The 6.5x55 would do a job, but you would never get a variation for it on boar on your ticket

I believe 30-06 is granted for boar and it's a more powerful weapon that .308.

Note I didn't say better, I'll let others argue that one, but it's my friends chocie of calibre for deer and he likes it.

Here's a nice visual comparison:

308-30-06-1.jpg

Edited by Alsone

Thanks lads. I never realised that trenchfoot ill check on ammo availability and rifle choice. I'll want a traditional mauser action rifle and would love a full stutzen stock although a screw cut barrel would be more practical I've always said my stalking rifle I want to put some decent money into and look for a beautiful A grade stock sturdy mauser action and a Schmidt & Bender 8x56 on top. That's the dream anyway

For Deer I go down the bigger is best road, I shoot a .270 and a 7x57 (.284 / 7mm), I have yet to lose a deer and I've shot a few,

my mate swears by his .243 but we have seen a few 'runners' with this, although we picked them all after a search.

A boiler room hit with either a .270 150gr Sierra SPBT or a 7mm 168gr Sierra HPBT always works for me, most just fall like a

lightening strike.

Ammo costs are much the same, I reload all of mine but 'factory' .270 and 7x57 are easy to source, that said so are .308 & 30.06.

Not that I know f**k all but seeing as you have a quarry list as varied as a bag of pick n mix its probably worth remembering the yanks have killed just about everything in north America with their beloved 30-06 springfield.

But f**k it, get with the movement and buy a 25-06! And supplement that with a 375 H&H magnum. LOL LOL

Edited by Born Hunter

Cheers lads lol. But was thinking more along the lines of a .450 nitro express haha.

That's what's made me think the .30-06 as it's a very proven round on various game.

I was however surprised at the price of .270 and 6.5x55 at my local being as cheap as my .22-250. Where the .30-06 is much more expensive. To be fair though if the round cost £5 each if your dropping a big buck with it to me it's well worth it. So price of ammo isn't much of an issue to be fair.

I'll look into the 7x57 as I have to admit I've never come across it whilst researching