What Deer Calibre For First Deer Rifle.

some countries have a "thing" about civilian use of military calibres, so 30-06 maybe a more sensible choice

its a necked down .30-06

.30-03 Charlie.

Still a big cartridge though.

No Alsone the .270 winchester is derived from a necked down .30-06 not the earlier, very short run .30-03 which was considered underpowered, so was altered and became the .30-06, the .25-06 .270, are simply necked down versions of the .30-06, parent case.

Not according to the Complete .270 Reloading manual (2004) or the Wiki:

While it is true that a .270 Winchester case can be formed from a 30-06 Springfield case, the case length of a 30-06 is 63.3 millimetres (2.494 in) while the case length of a .270 is 64.5 millimetres (2.540 in), the same as a .30-03 Springfield. It is recommended that .270 Winchester brass be formed from .35 Whelen or .280 Remington cases.[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.270_Winchester#cite_ref-loadbook_3-1

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Reloading-Manual-270-Winchester/dp/B000WZPRUQ

Whilst it's true the 30-03 was superceded by the 30-06 within a couple of years of it's launch, the .270 case is said to be actually based on the .30-03 case not the .30-06.

I wasn't trying to be pedantic btw, just correct the thread for posterity.

Edited by Alsone

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From reading this it's clear you know little about shooting deer as well The vast majority of deer legal rounds i.e. .243 .308 etc will pass "right through and some"

Absolutely mate. But the way I see it if I apply the same safe shooting practices I do now with .22lr, .22-250 etc I should be alright. I know they will be an extremely greater bullet weight/velocity

Not pedantic at all, and no technically about it, either it is correct or not, and in this case I am 100% correct, so now you know, it will save the embarrassing silence, when you are corrected at a B

Again I disagree, it was more assisting him given he was quoting .270 or .308, most people will go for .243, throwing in .240 when there are limited calibers at that in the UK could merely confuse, hence .243.. as for embarrassing silences, not concerned about them.. I know that technically it is .240 but who uses it in the UK, it is a guide which most follow to go to .243 or .270? Why confuse the guy when .243 is the most used & widely recognised or higher..

Let's drop it we clearly have a different perspective on this.

You can disagree all you like, however if you were filling a test sheet in and put down .243 as the legal minimum, you would be wrong , not technically wrong, wrong, end of, and your answer would receive a cross instead of a tick, he never mentioned .243 as one of his choices, and has, as you can see for yourself been granted a .30-06, stroke of luck there then eh? :hmm:

Again I disagree, it was more assisting him given he was quoting .270 or .308, most people will go for .243, throwing in .240 when there are limited calibers at that in the UK could merely confuse, hence .243.. as for embarrassing silences, not concerned about them.. I know that technically it is .240 but who uses it in the UK, it is a guide which most follow to go to .243 or .270? Why confuse the guy when .243 is the most used & widely recognised or higher..

Let's drop it we clearly have a different perspective on this.

.240 is the minimum calibre laid down in the Deer Acts as being all deer legal (various other energy etc provisions also apply) , it isn't a technicality and it isn't a guide, it is the Law.

The fact that .240 is about as easy to find as Rocking Horse **** is neither here or there.

Most people end up with a .243 simply for that reason, it doesn't change the law.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Just some info for you, the 30-06, .308 and the 6.5 X 55 are all "military calibres" though with the 30-06 & 6.5mm not recently.

I have shot boar with the 6.5mm and they dropped perfectly well.

The .308 replicates approximately the same performance as the 30-06 but does so more efficiently.

The recoil from the 6.5mm is kinder than the others and in scandinavia the hunters have been using the round for over a century to take moose. It would appear that in the hands of someone competant it is adequate for significantly larger game than boar. Whichever you go with, bon chance!

I can't this side of the border mate. And am planning on going to Poland and Russia with foreign friends to do some boar and possibly bear hunting so a .308 fits the bill perfectly. Just unsure on the .308 for bear lol

From the little I know about big game, (about everything I've written here!), .308 is on the light side. .338 lapua or .375 mag much more suited to bear. Problem with these is both are severe overkill on deer and likely to pass through and then some, so only answer might be to get the .308 and borrow a rifle for bear shooting when over there.

(Cross posted with SS)

Edited by Alsone

22-250 and a .270, in both cases they could be described as relatively noisy and vicious to use!

My .308 Rem 700SPS is a pussycat to shoot, it is remarkably easy and restrained and relatively quiet. That said, it rarely comes out for ANY deer, my .243 does just fine, and the .223 for the smaller ones!

Deer calibres are personal choice/ability/situation and FEO of course.

Obviously get what you want, but bear in mind there is good reason why the common calibres are common!

:thumbs: