Cotton Bands

ianrob

I was looking through Harold Wymans' book, and noticed how critical he was about tying the top and bottom bands to the end pegs, a thing I have always done. In theory it makes your bottom band about a foot shorter than the top band. If the bands are nylon as mine are 5mm braid, they stretch 10 feet in a hundred yards and this means your top band is stretched 10' and your bottom band 9', and I have never had a problem with my bottom band being too slack. I appreciate that cotton bands would have very little give in them, has anyone used them, and how do they handle. Also does anyone know where I might get some to try it for myself. Also is twelve patent hemp still available, I've never seen it advertised.

Hello Ian

when you talk about bands im taking it you refer to the running lines? correct me if im wrong. Now im NOT trying to start an arguement or have a go at a mans methods but what you have said has me a little confused. I was wondering if you could put me right on a few things?

1, you say in his book he talks about tying his top and bottom lines, would this be tied running lines direct to the pin or spliced so you have a free running cord?

2, if so how would this make your bottom line a foot shorter?

3, to combat the stretch in your running lines would a braided line of say 1.5mm to 2.mm not be better as a running line?

4, as most if not all modern twines come from a fishing based background, where most twines are pre stretched, why would you want to go back to the twines that the old school netters used, not because it was better but because it was all the could either find, beg, borrow or steal?

like i said im not showing disregard to your post or your views, just curious :thumbs:

Hello Ian

when you talk about bands im taking it you refer to the running lines? correct me if im wrong. Now im NOT trying to start an arguement or have a go at a mans methods but what you have said has me a little confused. I was wondering if you could put me right on a few things?

1, you say in his book he talks about tying his top and bottom lines, would this be tied running lines direct to the pin or spliced so you have a free running cord?

2, if so how would this make your bottom line a foot shorter?

3, to combat the stretch in your running lines would a braided line of say 1.5mm to 2.mm not be better as a running line?

4, as most if not all modern twines come from a fishing based background, where most twines are pre stretched, why would you want to go back to the twines that the old school netters used, not because it was better but because it was all the could either find, beg, borrow or steal?

like i said im not showing disregard to your post or your views, just curious :thumbs:

Yes I mean running lines, and this may be the correct term for them. I was taught to call them bands, and I feel this was the common term for them at one time and that the term banting was probably a corruption of that term, as people tended to use old bands for cording in a field. I have 5mm cord as the running line on one net and use 2mm on others, it just happened that a spool of braid I got from KP&s nets was heavier, and no I don't find 2mm or less any less stretchy.

As I said, Harold Wyman has his running line a continuous loop looped through the eyes of his pins but not tied to them, and is extremely critical of tying the running line to the pins. I tie mine, but because of the inherant stretch in nylon don't think it causes a problem. Mr Wyman used cotton which has practically no stretch, so if it was tied to the pins, because the top line has further to go, the bottom line would slacken off.

Lastly I fancied trying cotton on my hemp nets as I fancy it would not be as slippy and this might be useful in an end wind

I did'nt have the bottle to reply to that post !!! why you may ask !! simple !! coz i aint got a clue what hes talking about!! Cotten bands ?? youve got me there !! now if you said cotten running lines i may be able to help you out !

regards...

Yes I mean running lines, but as you'll see from my previous reply, they were always refered to as bands where I live. :)

Yes I mean running lines, and this may be the correct term for them. I was taught to call them bands, and I feel this was the common term for them at one time

Hello Ian

differant places have differant terms i suppose, you say potatoe, i say potartoe kind of thing.

You also say about the grip of cottton on your nets whilst working an end wind, have you thought about a problem that may happen such as the following. A few yrs ago i had a net with the bagging tied in, where the cotton thread held the nets mesh to the head line a balled up mess allways happened when working an end wind. You would get meshes pass through others that were held by the stitching and at night this was a real pain. If the cotton lines were to cause friction and cause a mesh or 2 to stick could there not be the chance of the same happening? just a though as ive never used nets with cotton runing lines

hello Ian

differant places have differant terms i suppose, you say potatoe, i say potartoe kind of thing.

You also say about the grip of cottton on your nets whilst working an end wind, have you thought about a problem that may happen such as the following. A few yrs ago i had a net with the bagging tied in, where the cotton thread held the nets mesh to the head line a balled up mess allways happened when working an end wind. You would get meshes pass through others that were held by the stitching and at night this was a real pain. If the cotton lines were to cause friction and cause a mesh or 2 to stick could there not be the chance of the same happening? just a though as ive never used nets with cotton runing lines

Good point, I've had that happen . I'm also going to try tailing in an end wind, ie set like an L with the wind blowing down the long part and the bottom out possibly 20 yards.

Hi all...the reason that Wyman is critical of knotting the running lines to the end pins is because the runners should initially be just the one line...spliced together in one place. Obviously as the net gets used and rabbits bite through the bottom line, then additional joins will be made. There-in lies the reason for not tie-ing to your end pins...each join takes up a short length of line, which, with a free running line through the pins becomes self adjusting, with both lines being the same length...but with the knotted to pins method you have to add additional pieces of line to make up the length or re-adjust the top line...both time consuming when one join will do. With the pre-sets it,s a case of add in a piece or shorten the top line.

Regarding "tailing" or "dog-legging" the net...I routinely start and finsh with a slight..bend...more than a tail, for the simple reason that some rabbits will keep testing the net and I,ve seen them run along the nets many times only to finish up in the end section. It,s all dependent on the particular drop, of course, but it certainly adds to the catch.

Hi all...the reason that Wyman is critical of knotting the running lines to the end pins is because the runners should initially be just the one line...spliced together in one place. Obviously as the net gets used and rabbits bite through the bottom line, then additional joins will be made. There-in lies the reason for not tie-ing to your end pins...each join takes up a short length of line, which, with a free running line through the pins becomes self adjusting, with both lines being the same length...but with the knotted to pins method you have to add additional pieces of line to make up the length or re-adjust the top line...both time consuming when one join will do. With the pre-sets it,s a case of add in a piece or shorten the top line.

Regarding "tailing" or "dog-legging" the net...I routinely start and finsh with a slight..bend...more than a tail, for the simple reason that some rabbits will keep testing the net and I,ve seen them run along the nets many times only to finish up in the end section. It,s all dependent on the particular drop, of course, but it certainly adds to the catch.

All good points, thanks everyone.

Edited by ianrob