Poacher Caught

I guess I'm alone in thinking he should have been done for armed trespass, poaching and lying to police. Should have lost his license and had his guns taken for his previous at least.

If you think this is unreasonable wait til your own permission starts getting raped by people like this and see how understanding you are. Sums up what a bunch of left wing pussies the justice system is made up of now.

get a grip of yourself....your obviously not from up here mate.......so you dont know how things work, all that bile will ruin you.

• Like 2

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

good luck to the owd lad,

raped by people like this lol get a life pal , hes feckin 70 yr old hes not a transit van full of scoats , hes a guy who has probably forgotten more than you will ever know !!! sounds to me like your

See the difference is i wouldn,t class wild animals as anyones property...

So because I have a sense of right and wrong I'm obviously upper class and pay for all my shooting - Yeah right. Like most places ground is hard to come buy, I pay in kind by mole catching, hedge laying, tree clearing etc as well fulling butchering an animal when they want it... So irrespective of whether it's some toe rags in a transit van or some old salt-of-the-earth king of the hills he's out of line to poach.

As for a bit of venison for the freezer stop making excuses for him - that's bollocks, that would have been straight down the dealers and everyone knows it.

Matt, I normally enjoy your posts, and you are obviously an intelligent man, but in this case I have to disagree,if it was my permission, and there were loads of deer, as the lads who know the ground are saying, I can honestly say, hand on heart, if I caught some old boy, 70 years old, with a deer grassed, I would find it amusing, I would sit down and watch him gralloch it, in the hope of learning something ;) I would enjoy talking to him, about his shooting/poaching life, and enjoy being in the company of one of a dying breed, I understand your point, having your ground poached is not pleasant, but sometimes,just sometimes, its best to grin, and realise that things dont always quite fit our way of thinking, cast your mind back, can you honestly say you have never been on ground you perhaps should not have?Poached a rabbit with your airgun, or caught a trout in a river belonging to somebody else, I am sure you have read many sporting books over the years, how many if not all of the sporting greats of years past, have admitted to a spot of poaching, it is not the norm now especially in the stalking community, to see the romanticism in poaching, but an old rogue like the one here is to be is to be commended, in my book.

• Like 10

Matt, I normally enjoy your posts, and you are obviously an intelligent man, but in this case I have to disagree,if it was my permission, and there were loads of deer, as the lads who know the ground are saying, I can honestly say, hand on heart, if I caught some old boy, 70 years old, with a deer grassed, I would find it amusing, I would sit down and watch him gralloch it, in the hope of learning something ;) I would enjoy talking to him, about his shooting/poaching life, and enjoy being in the company of one of a dying breed, I understand your point, having your ground poached is not pleasant, but sometimes,just sometimes, its best to grin, and realise that things dont always quite fit our way of thinking, cast your mind back, can you honestly say you have never been on ground you perhaps should not have?Poached a rabbit with your airgun, or caught a trout in a river belonging to somebody else, I am sure you have read many sporting books over the years, how many if not all of the sporting greats of years past, have admitted to a spot of poaching, it is not the norm now especially in the stalking community, to see the romanticism in poaching, but an old rogue like the one here is to be is to be commended, in my book.

As sure as shite smells, I don't think I know anyone, who be it air rifle, dog, ferret or even firing a catty, didn't start off by poaching... :yes:

Edited by RossM
  • Like 7

From what I've seen on other forums this "old lad" has six previous convictions for poaching, makes his very good living selling poached venison and has done for years, has a jag with private registration "5TAG" all bought and paid for with the deer he's poached for years !!

Is this the truth, is he a professional poacher playing the "I'm just an old man " card ..... or his he in fact just an old timer

You know what Charlie - I agree with the sentiment of what you say and appreciate the way you put it. He's probably a great bloke with a lot of stories and, despite our age difference I'd probably get on brilliantly with him over a bottle of scotch... irrespective of the fact i'm obviously a posh southern trophy hunter......

In the situation you describe i'd probably do much the same. I would stress that I wouldn't want to be in this situation again with him but i'd be happy to have him along as a guest IF there was some reciprocation. I'd even enjoy helping him drag it to the car, load it and then see about a swift nip and a yarn on the way home. Buts that's not what happened - he was caught red handed by that law who even went so far as to blow the budget on DNA testing the bloody hind!..... and the, 'penalty', if it can be called that is nothing more than pathetic; what kind of deterrent is that supposed to be?

From another site, he's apparently not just "an old boy after one for the pot" but a professional poacher that's made a good living out of what is effectively stealing, seems he's a career criminal !

So everyone seems to know this chap, he had poached the area all his life, been caught and prosecuted six times, made a fortune out of it, bought a house, a jag , bought the number plate stag,

Is he still the good guy in this, What you reckon ?

So because I have a sense of right and wrong I'm obviously upper class and pay for all my shooting - Yeah right. Like most places ground is hard to come buy, I pay in kind by mole catching, hedge laying, tree clearing etc as well fulling butchering an animal when they want it... So irrespective of whether it's some toe rags in a transit van or some old salt-of-the-earth king of the hills he's out of line to poach.

As for a bit of venison for the freezer stop making excuses for him - that's bollocks, that would have been straight down the dealers and everyone knows it.

i always sell all of mine cant stand the stuff .i was just thinking to myself ive got widespread ground to go on and if your wanting a bit of sport you are welcome to use any of my land . its quite easy to find .its called england scotland and wales .only thing i ask is just keep the vehicle of the road try and get it in to a bit of cover or the like :thumbs: :thumbs:

It's a hard one to call.

Was he breaking the law?, yes.

Was he in the great scale of things doing any great harm?, no.

The highlands are awash with red deer, many places are over run and we now have contract stalkers shooting anything they can get close enough to purely to reduce numbers and protect forestry/crops etc.

For me, he got off his arse and went and shot a deer while folk half his age are sitting on theirs.

He took from a plentiful non endangered species many of which will die of hunger and exposure on the hill this winter.

I don't know the guy but I'd think with his need to go as unnoticed as is possible he would be unlikely to have a quad/argo etc and it would be for the most shanks's pony and a fair bit of dragging.

Anyone who wants a bit of venison that bad has earned it in my book, even if it is to sell to afford other things.

Fair play to him, if there were more like him this country would be better for it and have fewer fat fcuks.

• Like 2

How very true mate, I just hope if I make it to his age, I am still fit/strong enough to drag a red carcass, there is an old boy lives round the corner from me,similar age late 60s possibly just 70, feck me, he is fitter than many many blokes less than half his age, rock climbs, cycles, rides a sports bike like a nutter, runs about 10 miles 3 times a week, I rather admire him, as I do the old boy referred to here :thumbs:

Perhaps less folk in that area would poach if the estates allowed locals to shoot every now again instead of leaving deer on the hills because not enough folk are willing to pay £250 a day to shoot hinds that they don`t even get to keep.

Greed. They would rather see the SNH guys in helicopters eh ?.

• Like 9