Mole Traps In The Frost

intresting stuff! would something like a talpex work? or would they just abandon a run that has been "filled" in?

PK, I haven't tried a Talpex yet, just putanges and duffus. Rat taupiers aren't using their tunnels as worm traps in the same way as moles do, they're targeting existing roots, from grass to garden vegetables to trees in commercial fruit orchards, so I'm not sure how they'd react to a filled run. Worth a try though.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well there here, the traps from France. delivered within 6 days They are strong, glad i have to tool to open them with, be very time comsuming and trapped fingers with out   Will try them out on Th

Simple.....just build a mole hill on top of the trap, the soil will protect it from a freeze-up and it won't effect firing.....job done.....   I also use this set when trapping public places such a

Pms sent to Socks and Nicepics. I will make sure you get them back with hopefully a few more. Left the trap sent by Mr muddy with Jon ,He will make the jig on monday and then try one or two for me to

Posted Images

I used Torchey's method of setting Putanges on their side the other day. Got back to check them today and one had a nice clean capture; chest and spine. It's nice to know that it didn't have the inconvenience of having to turn sideways to take its last breath.

Cheers Torchey.

• Like 1

These traps have been used for decades over here and most French pro's use nothing else. The way they do it is very different to how you and I trap moles. For a start their spades are more like shovels and they don't bother probing relying on taking out a huge solid clod from between the molehills. The clod is kept intact and Putanges are placed in the exposed holes either side of the excavation so that they are almost totally inside the tunnel. Next a long orange rod of around 2mm wire is put into the eyes of each trap and the clod is lowered back into place leaving the orange wires sticking up through the surface.

How do they check the traps? Usually a dog is used. Typically a dachshund or similar breed indicates whether there is a mole in the traps. If they haven't got a dog it means lifting the clod and checking the traps.

As well as the Putange for moles there are similar traps designed for other pests such as rats, lerots (garden dormice) and the rat taupier, a strange animal that burrows like a mole, but eats plants and bulbs.

Only recently has the garden centre chain Gamme Vert started selling the type of traps we would use. I can get Talpex off the shelf at €9.99 each. That's £7.42 in your coinage. Their tunnel traps are cheap Chinky crap though. When I go round on my jobs I see all sorts of traps that have been used by customers. Some are antiques, most are crap, but I've seen enough redundant Beagle traps to build a small wall.

"but ive seen enough redundant Beagle traps to build a small wall" ha ha & theyve been endorsed by a "master molecatcher" from the "guild" too,....lol

• Like 1

These traps have been used for decades over here and most French pro's use nothing else. The way they do it is very different to how you and I trap moles. For a start their spades are more like shovels and they don't bother probing relying on taking out a huge solid clod from between the molehills. The clod is kept intact and Putanges are placed in the exposed holes either side of the excavation so that they are almost totally inside the tunnel. Next a long orange rod of around 2mm wire is put into the eyes of each trap and the clod is lowered back into place leaving the orange wires sticking up through the surface.

How do they check the traps? Usually a dog is used. Typically a dachshund or similar breed indicates whether there is a mole in the traps. If they haven't got a dog it means lifting the clod and checking the traps.

As well as the Putange for moles there are similar traps designed for other pests such as rats, lerots (garden dormice) and the rat taupier, a strange animal that burrows like a mole, but eats plants and bulbs.

Only recently has the garden centre chain Gamme Vert started selling the type of traps we would use. I can get Talpex off the shelf at €9.99 each. That's £7.42 in your coinage. Their tunnel traps are cheap Chinky crap though. When I go round on my jobs I see all sorts of traps that have been used by customers. Some are antiques, most are crap, but I've seen enough redundant Beagle traps to build a small wall.

"but ive seen enough redundant Beagle traps to build a small wall" ha ha & theyve been endorsed by a "master molecatcher" from the "guild" too,....lol

Obviously the power of marketing confirms that there really is one born every minute. People want to believe and this guy knows how to present something they think that they need even if it turns out to be a crock of schite. He guarantees the traps and will replace any where people complain. But when you imagine how much profit he's making at fifteen quid a trap he can afford to massage a few disgruntled egos.

Pms sent to Socks and Nicepics. I will make sure you get them back with hopefully a few more.

Left the trap sent by Mr muddy with Jon ,He will make the jig on monday and then try one or two for me to look at next week, although i wanted him to stay at work and do them now , he told me to :censored: off. Some poeple just dont understand how important somthing like this is!!!

iwm

Any news on the possibility of having these traps made ??? .......

Pms sent to Socks and Nicepics. I will make sure you get them back with hopefully a few more.

Left the trap sent by Mr muddy with Jon ,He will make the jig on monday and then try one or two for me to look at next week, although i wanted him to stay at work and do them now , he told me to :censored: off. Some poeple just dont understand how important somthing like this is!!!

iwm

Any news on the possibility of having these traps made ??? .......

Had the jig made. Tried a couple of traps with the wire we had but the spring in the wire would not hold after moving the trap about. I have ordered a small roll of a heavy duty wire and we are going to try to heat it as it goes into the machine.Not as easy as just putting the wire through and a trap comes out, maybe the french website is the way to go but i will try one more time.

Have set my first batch of the putanges, will report back how I get on.

Dont think they will be my main stay, as havent quite got the knack of setting them quickly, but in sensitive areas think there be good addition.

Got them from Laboratories Roman in France 18 traps and 1 x setting plier for 43.76 euro delivered about £32.00

I wouldn't use them as my mainstay traps. They are useful in shallow runs where the turf has been pushed up and in tight spots like patios or path edges when concrete gets in the way of conventional traps. You can set them prior to going out and carefully lay them in a box ready set. I use an ice cream tub and sometimes have a dozen or so ready for use. The trigger has to be pushed back to operate the trap so if the traps are carried so they don't slide about they'll stay set. Make sure the triggers are tied on though and mind your fingers when you pick them up.