Mole Traps In The Frost

Best of luck & I'm really interested to hear how they work out. From the look of the design, they look like they could be pretty much indestructible, but prone to losing the small square "trigger". They also seem to live mostly underground, so they might be very useful in places where there lots of rather light-fingered passers-by...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well there here, the traps from France. delivered within 6 days They are strong, glad i have to tool to open them with, be very time comsuming and trapped fingers with out   Will try them out on Th

Simple.....just build a mole hill on top of the trap, the soil will protect it from a freeze-up and it won't effect firing.....job done.....   I also use this set when trapping public places such a

Pms sent to Socks and Nicepics. I will make sure you get them back with hopefully a few more. Left the trap sent by Mr muddy with Jon ,He will make the jig on monday and then try one or two for me to

Posted Images

If the ground is frozen solid I would wait for better conditions, if your setting traps in a large numbers..But on certain occasions I've just got on with it, the best way I find is to dig the sod out, bed the trap in, use the sod to cover and pack then using the spade slice the top of a nearby mound, and just place the frozen mound on top, it doesn't hinder the trap firing and keeps the surface frost off...

Best of luck & I'm really interested to hear how they work out. From the look of the design, they look like they could be pretty much indestructible, but prone to losing the small square "trigger". They also seem to live mostly underground, so they might be very useful in places where there lots of rather light-fingered passers-by...

. For the trigger I just tie them with a bit of builders string line it's strong and thin also if you do lose any of the squares you can make your own out of metal coat hangers.....very good traps

This type of simple wire trap has been used for a long time in France, nearly a hundred years, and were colloquially known as 'Aurouze' traps after the Paris manufacturers of that time. I have not used them, but I have handled many different versions over the years and find that the temper leaves the copper ones faster than the iron ones, and that they can be improved in use by the addition of a flat round washer with small cut outs at the edge in place of the wire square 'setter'. This can be attached by means of a small string or wire to the trap so it is not lost.

Don't follow the photo in a certain Mole Trapping book where the author mistakenly :whistling:places the setter in the entirely wrong way either ... :toast:... they are meant to be set flat or longways along the run - the curved-up parts kill the mole not the long legs

• Like 3

This type of simple wire trap has been used for a long time in France, nearly a hundred years, and were colloquially known as 'Aurouze' traps after the Paris manufacturers of that time. I have not used them, but I have handled many different versions over the years and find that the temper leaves the copper ones faster than the iron ones, and that they can be improved in use by the addition of a flat round washer with small cut outs at the edge in place of the wire square 'setter'. This can be attached by means of a small string or wire to the trap so it is not lost.

Don't follow the photo in a certain Mole Trapping book where the author mistakenly :whistling:places the setter in the entirely wrong way either ... :toast:... they are meant to be set flat or longways along the run - the curved-up parts kill the mole not the long legs

could they not be made from say 3mm high tensilesteel wire?

For what you pay they're very good, very humane traps (a bit fiddly though); but they're not copper - just copper plated - so I carry a scythe stone with me to scrape the rust off before I set them in the ground.

I'd also buy a couple of the setting pliers, or you'll have a job setting them without a pair, and they're bloody easy to misplace.

Edited by Mr Muddy

I have use of a machine at a relatives work place that bends tensile steel wire to any size/shape if i could get hold of one of these traps i am sure he could make them here.????

Cheers

IWM.

I have use of a machine at a relatives work place that bends tensile steel wire to any size/shape if i could get hold of one of these traps i am sure he could make them here.????

Cheers

IWM.

It would be very interesting to see what price he could produce them for .......

Cheers

IWM.

It would be very interesting to see what price he could produce them for .......

I will talk to him this weekend but he will need a profile to work from. It must be the sameprice as the ones from france or no one will buy them??

iwm