Rustic Rabbit Pie With Cider

With the cold weather upon us, you can't beat a bit of comfort food. With rabbits easy pickings during the summer, I made up a freezer draw full of rabbits pies and have been munching through them since the first frosts. Having requests for more from friends, it was time to get busy in the kitchen again this week.

shM1nMO.jpg

This was my recipe http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/rustic-rabbit-pie-with-cider/

• Like 10

I usually bake from frozen. I've got a lot of foil pie cases and freeze them in those, then remove the cases and store flat in poly bags, getting half a dozen in a bag. The one in the pic was the reward for an afternoon making a load for the freezer, this one going straight in the oven. The cider makes a big difference to the texture and flavour. Homemade dry cider too.

• Like 3

The same method works well for all those. I call it hunter's pie then. Pigeon, pheasant and rabbit mix well and make an interesting pie. I never seem to get enough squirrel to make cooking worthwhile and I haven't got the calibre for deer. Rabbit is my main quarry, hence a freezer full of pasties and burgers.

• 2 weeks later...

I failed to shoot any rabbits yesterday, but shot two squirrels and a pigeon. Today cooked up the squirrels as per the recipe above, sliced and diced the pigeon breast, lightly turned it in hot oil in the pan, then added to the dish for the last half hour of cooking. Tried a tester in a bowl, it was really tasty. There was enough for two pies, one for tomorrow night's dinner. Never cooked squirrel before, but will again.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like you have been busy making jam too. I shot a rabbit under a bramble, went over to pick it up, to see massive black berries. Picked about 4 lb of them, then went round to the next farm, where she had trees full of bramley apples. My wife was a bit cheesed off. More work, so I made 13 lb of

blackberry and apple. My job in future apparently. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/blackberry-and-apple-jam/ Time to make more cider too, then sloe gin. It never stops! What were the jams, I can make out apple and something?