Won't Walk To Heel On The Lead??

What methods do people use to keep their spaniels at heel whilst walking with a lead?

I've been trying for weeks by snatching the lead back shouting heel etc but within 20 yards there is tension on the lead again, so then repeat snatching again but after about two miles it gets a bit tedious, tried changing direction etc but no signs of improvement

Try chaining the heel exercise as a prelude to something positive

If your yanking on the lead and shouting heel there is no flow for the pup in the command

Pups started with commands that have to be enforced such as recall and heel and stay have a real issue seeing the positive in it

If a pup can see a positive in the exercise it can start controlling itself , a recall that leads to getting to chase a ball or dummy or a heeling exercise that leads to similar , short distances to start with and gradually build it up ,

In general try keeping the pup engaged with you while walking , if Ya can get the pup shitting and pissing in one spot, don't let pup sniff about too much while out,

Chain it with a positive , even before getting to hop up in the car can be a heeling exercise .

But the dog must be doing the exercise first then introduce the command

Have the dog at your left hand side.Use a rope slip lead with a rubber stopper on it. Put the lead over the dogs head infront of its left ear and behind its right ear. Pull the stopper down tight on top of its head. The dog will then walk to heel.

Edited by jessdale
  • Like 1

Depends on dogs age, and it's intended use when fully trained, you need to expand your question.

Personally I get my spaniels hunting first and just use the lead as a means of attaching the dog to myself, it's only later in its training once I'm happy with the hunting and the dog is older and physically stronger that I correct the lead training technique .

If you are consistent and use the command at the correct time that you apply pressure when required you will get results, firm but fair, gentle tugs don't work but equally you don't want to hurt or instill fear!

I use squares, either imaginary or put up posts to walk around, 15 paces and then turn to the left, applying pressure with knee to the dogs head, you will notice it only takes a couple of turns before dog settles to correct position alongside your knee. At that point you can then turn to the right, spinning on your heels snatching the lead as you go and giving praise, again this only takes a couple of turns before the penny drops and you get the desired result if you have applied the technique correctly, it really is easy but just takes practice, and consistency.

Spaniels unlike retrievers don't naturally walk at heel and won't be as sticky at heel but should walk with respect alongside with practice. The only piece of equipment you require is a slip lead, no fancy halti type products or any other gimmicks, consistency is the key word along with correct timing, good luck !

• Like 1

Have a longish lead (not a slip lead for this method) Keep a loop of lead spare in your hand.

Walk off with the dog, as SOON as you feel tension, turn around and let go the 'spare'. Say absolutely nothing to the dog ;)

The dog will obviously feel the tug on the collar and will turn to follow you.

Without breaking stride gather the loop again. Repeat as often as needed. Changing direction abruptly each time. Ignoring sniggering onlookers.

The dog will start to look at you as if you have gone completely mental. Still say nothing.

I can almost promise that within 10 mins of this, having given up on predicting where the hell you are going, the dog will be walking on a slack lead :)

once you get here, the slightest pop of the lead BEFORE the lead gets taut and the dog will be checking with you to see what you want. THAT is the moment to start dropping in the command word heel/side/close whatever, and also the time to start praising (you can't praise before that cos the dog is confused as to where the stoopid human is taking it!)

Edited by Donna Wildwood
  • Like 1

When the dog goes ahead of you or pulls change direction.

Turn 180 or 90 degrees. You look like a right prick zig zagging all over the streets but the dog should hopefully see that you choose direction not them.

Also stopping every time they go ahead and making them come to heal and sit etc.