Lurcher Training

I think he maybe pulling our pissers

no honestly not man. im not an expert its obvious im keen to get advice though i appreciate it all i really do. im just saying that dog i had was really hard to get to hunt and i gived up eventually. of course i didnt know enough of what i was doing. but im asking for future reference

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Listen up young man,...training a lurcher is not hard....   Unless you are keen to get into some kind of competitive aspect of the running dog game,.racing, coursing,.sit and stay comps, kinda thing

You would take money from the boy to take him out ?

You want her bringing then to you a live if possible..something for me to be working on also.at lease the retrieve enyway..

Best off buying a puppy in 9 times out of 10 if you get a rescuer lurcher its not going to be nothing more than a pet. And make sure you are in a position to get a dog and keep it. Too many lurchers get past from pillow to post nowdays.

yeah i need think hard about it. i have heard of a 4 year old lurcher who already works and is good for rehome. do you think that would work out in your opinon

personally I wouldn't go for it but like I said nine times out of ten its going to be nothing more than a pet lurcher what has most likey been spolit be its last owner and most likey the reason why its being rehomed from a rescue centre.

Edited by luke ferret

personally I wouldn't go for it but like I said nine times out of ten its going to be nothing more than a pet lurcher what has most likey been spolit be its last owner and most likey the reason why its being rehomed from a rescue centre.

its not coming from a rescue center though if that makes any difference. the owner does work it i haven't seen it but i have heard about it from a friend. i do get what your saying its better to have a pup but are they not quite a lot of hard work and not a lot of watching ?

Ferreting man, you seem to want a finished,all singing and dancing hunting dog but not willing to commit the time and energy into training one. I don't believe they are available off the shelf and ready to go.

i appreciate with any dog you have to put the time in i do. i just need to think long and hard on whats the best option for me and of course the dog. just trying to find out as much as i can before making my decision. its a big commitment. ideally i want to end up eventually with a good working dog. either raised from a pup or rescued it will have to be trained alot.

Ferreting man, you seem to want a finished,all singing and dancing hunting dog but not willing to commit the time and energy into training one. I don't believe they are available off the shelf and ready to go.

i appreciate with any dog you have to put the time in i do. i just need to think long and hard on whats the best option for me and of course the dog. just trying to find out as much as i can before making my decision. its a big commitment. ideally i want to end up eventually with a good working dog. either raised from a pup or rescued it will have to be trained alot.

read up has much has you can then read some more get perdys progress and any other lurcher training dvds pm mr pit for theses and use youtube also and try and get out with some lads with lurchers if i was you get a pup you will bond better and you will put more effort in when things are not going eactly has you wuld like make sure what you get is of parents that do what you want and think about the kind of land it will be running and try and get something that suits theses needs and dont just rush and buy a pup from the first litter you see advertised do your home work on any litter and ask lots of questions if you can take someone experienced with you all the better good luck ;)

get out on the fens coursing with some o the lads it will be an expierence for you ,or get out on ferreting courses run by basc if i had more time i would take you out for a day or two you would learn alot about dogs hunting in general

• Like 1

read up has much has you can then read some more get perdys progress and any other lurcher training dvds pm mr pit for theses and use youtube also and try and get out with some lads with lurchers if i was you get a pup you will bond better and you will put more effort in when things are not going eactly has you wuld like make sure what you get is of parents that do what you want and think about the kind of land it will be running and try and get something that suits theses needs and dont just rush and buy a pup from the first litter you see advertised do your home work on any litter and ask lots of questions if you can take someone experienced with you all the better good luck ;)

Thank you very much some great advice. I will not rush into anything. Try to find out as much I can. Thank you again :)

• Like 1

get out on the fens coursing with some o the lads it will be an expierence for you ,or get out on ferreting courses run by basc if i had more time i would take you out for a day or two you would learn alot about dogs hunting in general

Yeah I would love to get out with someone who can teach me about it all it would be great