Gutted

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you pour the thorn it in you will be surprised how far it will migrate in the ear canal ... For the sake of a few quid what have you got to lose ........

Your right nothing to loose I will give it a go cheers kev.

Why can't the ear be packed with cotton wool and then sealed with Vaseline on working days ... Easy to take out and clean at the end of a day ......

Thanks for the input lads,he has just turned 7 year old now so he has probably urnt an early retirement the problem he hasn't got any eardrum left in his ear so I carnt risk him jumping in a ditch or a pond it would course much bigger problems the reason I asked the questions was to find out if this is a more common problem than I ever realised or is it just a case of bad luck ?

Cheers kev.

The only way to keep water out of his ear would be to put some kind of bung in it and instead of doing what he is supposed to be doing he would be spending most of the time trying to get said bung out of his ear.iam truly pissed off cos the dog dose love to work but at the end of the day his welfare comes first and I carnt risk water getting down there with no ear drum he would be in more trouble than he is now.dont worry he will not be getting thrown on the scrap heep I will just have to take him for worlks where there is no water I.e ditches/ponds and let him work the field and rough and get hold of another dog that I can take to my hunting land and just use that dog for hunting with the bird cheers kev.

That was the reason for the questions,before I even think of getting another dog is there things that I can do ? Or ask the breeder ? Or even things I could do with a new dog to help this problem happening again ?

Dogs have a remarkable ability to adapt, I agree with socks. Pack it when not working get him used to it.. Problem solved ;)

Tbh you seem adamant that his working days are over and very quick to call it the end, what's that about :hmm:

For one I haven't called it a day with the dog already I have tried my best and at great expence to do right by him and if it is the case that I have to bung his ear up all the time and keep my fingers crossed that the bung doesn't come out when he jumps in a pond to shift some duck I would rather not take the chance thank you very much and I am not taking any decision lightly and carnt really see what your problem is.I have already stated that I can still give him some work where there is no water he just won't be taken to my permition where there is a lot.I could understand your comment if I had said I was just going to shoot him or something.and it would probable be best to read the posts properly first before having a pop at me.i would be greatfull if othere members only ad to this thread if they have anything constructive to say and don't just see a very weak oppurtunity to try and make someone look bad for no reall reason cheers kev.

My sprocker dog is suffering from a bad infection in his ear and may be finished as a working dog. The vet has told me that spaniels have a long iner ear canal and can suffer from iner ear infections and he has to be kept out of the water which we all know is no good for a working dog. He has been on strong anti biotics for some time now with not much improvement so he is going to get is ear flushed to see if that will help. If not he will have to have his iner ear canal taken out ( not good ) I have had three spaniels over the years and apart from the usual problems you get with a hard working dog going through cover and ponds and ditches I haven't had any problems with ear infections has anyone else had issues with there spaniels?

Cheers kev.

I have a bedlington terrier bitch been plagued with ear problems all her life got told same thing off vet long ears yet have a beddy dog and he has never had any probs.

Thanks for the input and that is something I may have to try but I carnt help thinking if water dose get past or it dose fall out he would be in a lot of pain and discomfort plus strait back to the vets for god knows what they would whant to do to him then.its a lot of risk and worry in the hope that nothing goes wrong just so I can get a little bit more work out of him I have had 6 years + good hard work with him, so in my opinion is it worth playing russian roulette with the dog every time I take him out to my permition.i hope you can see wear I am coming from and that you understand that I am trying to put the dogs best interests first and not a selfish one on my part in just trying to get more work from him cheers kev

There was a lad on here a long while ago who had the same problem as you, he made up his own ear cleaner and was so made up with the results that he put the recipe on THL some were, maybe a mod could pluck it out for you, or do a search. I used it my old GSD and I thought it worked well, pissed all over the Canaral crap the vet gave me.

If someone could find a link for me ?i would be greatfull I have been advised to use a salution to clean and massage his ear to carry on getting any badness out and that seams to be helping with the infection.with him having no ear drum left am I right in thinking that it will never grow back? Or can it ?

Cheers kev.