German Wirehaired Pointer

Just remember they take A long time to mature they will still be like big puppys till around two and a half if this is your first one be patient as they are completely different to labs and the likes i find there very loyal and protective of the family would give there life I needed working side of it there how a proper dog should hunt away there's just something about them compared to other gun dogs when there working your more connected to the dog your in control but it's free it's a hard one to explain lol you will maybe feel it one day lol feel like yoda saying that haha anyway good luck hope it turns out good

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friend like to hunt with this dogs, he has 3 dogs in his kennel   Hi hunt with GWP for: snipe, quail, partridge, pheasant, duck ....   All dogs in his kennel like to retrieve and no problem w

Mine is 18 months old now and is turning into a decent animal ....I have never been so frustrated with a dog but I know its already been said but they really do need to be left as pups and I found whe

Very well made animal with some bone on him and lots of drive ....still quite puppyish but he knows what his purpose is now

Posted Images

Thanks Barry it's al good advice.ye she is my 1st wirehaired but I grew up with gsp and esp my father kept them,and like you said they were the most loyal friendly dogs but when it came down to business they knew what they were there for.im looking forward to it al and have a good bitch at the end of it al.

Time and effort if your wanting them to point as pups encourage it at a young age with a feather on a piece of string they will play with it then just before they go to grab it take it away don't do it all the time as the dog will give up make it a game eventually he/she will point at the feather lots of praise and fuss made that's what this breed loves I had one who I thought was never gonna make anything decided to give it lots of cuddles and roll around with it when it done well the soft bugger I've became lol well Christ it worked a treat dogs one of the best in the kennels now there all different I suppose but nearly all the same at the same time I will never have another dog again don't give up on him/her like I say time and effort i said they mature slowly so two and a half years seems forever but the day it all falls into place your going to be amazed at these dogs and the ability to turn there paw will we say to anything good luck again and welcome to the mad world of gwp haha

Well lads I got my gwp at the weekend,she's a real clinker I'm delighted with her have only got her of the lead this last too evenings wanted her too settle in and get used to me.so she's working well loves to hunt and has great obidence and recall but she just isn't fond of retrieving,she's like a dog that got to much of it (i think)and is just sick of it, I even put the dummies away and got a tennis ball out last night but still not that keen,I just let her run in for it I didn't sit her down first.any ideas what I could try with her????

They are new to me but I think in general they are known to be a good enough retriever,it just seems funny.il have to shoot a rabbit for her and see what she makes of it.

• 3 months later...

Well lads I'm back looking a bit of advice about my gwp,as iv said in previous posts about trouble with her retrieving.at the very start I just took it that she was a dog that got to much retrieving as a pup and was sick of it but slowly but surely she came good and started lifting dummies and dummies with wings then I introduced her to a cold duck that she wasn't over keen on but eventually she came around and then we started the real deal,but my problem now is that she won't lift anything unless it's coming out of my hand . today we went for a walk on the river and up got a mallard and I shot it,so send lexi ot for it and out she goes picks it up and drops it again and no way would she go back for it but when I got it picked up and throw it for her let it be land or water it's no problem.could really do with some good advice to get her back on track,it's very disheartening her bad retrieving for a good dog otherwise.cheers lads

Well lads I'm back looking a bit of advice about my gwp,as iv said in previous posts about trouble with her retrieving.at the very start I just took it that she was a dog that got to much retrieving as a pup and was sick of it but slowly but surely she came good and started lifting dummies and dummies with wings then I introduced her to a cold duck that she wasn't over keen on but eventually she came around and then we started the real deal,but my problem now is that she won't lift anything unless it's coming out of my hand . today we went for a walk on the river and up got a mallard and I shot it,so send lexi ot for it and out she goes picks it up and drops it again and no way would she go back for it but when I got it picked up and throw it for her let it be land or water it's no problem.could really do with some good advice to get her back on track,it's very disheartening her bad retrieving for a good dog otherwise.cheers lads

Let me be blunt here. Force fetch. Or just learn to live with it.

Maybe get to a gun dog trainer for the day/evening or however long it takes. He may iron out any other problems you may have. Lovely dogs them mate...good luck.

cheers chap ye there top class in my eyes to.i think she will make it yet,she's not gone by it. u know when u just have them this far and you know it's in them it anoying.but thanks mate
  • Like 1

not sure if ive missed it but how old is she ?

ah found it 15/16 months ! back off and chill a while ,she is probably still WAY to young !one thing is they are no labs to train ! like has been said previously they are slow to mature and need to want to do it themselves first !