19 replies to this topic

#1 flynndog

flynndog

Trotters independent Trading

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:12 am

Had little male harris out last night lamping wouldn't fly for bunnys moving but missed a sitter as it got up and jinked him the fu***r kept hitting partridge from the outlines of the lamps spot .

Edited by flynndog, 11 January 2015 - 10:29 am.

#2 j j m

j j m

No2 on the Thl welcoming committee.

• Donator
  • 19,477 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:58 pm

well done bud

• flynndog likes this

#3 flynndog

flynndog

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:46 pm

He nailed 3 partridge

Attached Files

• bullet, pointer and bunny tickler like this

#4 j j m

j j m

• Donator
  • 19,477 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:26 pm

nice pic mate

• flynndog likes this

#5 Hywel

Hywel

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:23 pm

Out of curiosity (as I don't hunt BOP) how difficult is it to train them to the lamp?

• flynndog likes this

#6 flynndog

flynndog

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:34 pm

Not that hard really just feed the in the dark using a torch to show the bird the meat then use a dummy dragging it with torch on it .. They soon get the hang of it quicker than any dog I've started off lamping

#7 Longers7

Longers7

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:18 pm

Not that hard really just feed the in the dark using a torch to show the bird the meat then use a dummy dragging it with torch on it .. They soon get the hang of it quicker than any dog I've started off lamping

I just can't seem to get my red tail going at night, done loads of training with him at night, lure, dummy bunny, carcass etc etc, will chase and catch them all, but put a live rabbit down the lamp and it's like he hasn't got the confidence to fly at them, he goes to fly then just clings on to my glove and drops to the ground, very annoying! I've managed to walk right up to squatters and he still won't fly them!!pickled my head a bit! Any ideas??

#8 j j m

j j m

• Donator
  • 19,477 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:30 pm

normally the reds are good on rabbits ,have you had it from a young bird mate

• Longers7 likes this

#9 youcanthide...BANG

youcanthide...BANG

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:49 pm

I just can't seem to get my red tail going at night, done loads of training with him at night, lure, dummy bunny, carcass etc etc, will chase and catch them all, but put a live rabbit down the lamp and it's like he hasn't got the confidence to fly at them, he goes to fly then just clings on to my glove and drops to the ground, very annoying! I've managed to walk right up to squatters and he still won't fly them!!pickled my head a bit! Any ideas??

My male Harris wouldn't fly them on the lamp at all mate. Totally refused any but would smash them in the day
  • Longers7 likes this

#10 Longers7

Longers7

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:06 pm

normally the reds are good on rabbits ,have you had it from a young bird mate

no took it on as a sortve rescue bird mate

#11 Longers7

Longers7

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:08 pm

My male Harris wouldn't fly them on the lamp at all mate. Totally refused any but would smash them in the day
It's so annoying mate, he will chase rabbits all day when out ferreting, yet at night just won't leave the glove!! It's a not good really, as I rarely have time to get out in daylight hours, so was hoping he would be ok on lamp, so I could get him out flying more and keep his fitness up

#12 Accip74

Accip74

Hardcore Belgian Ale Drinker, so there..

• Members
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:51 pm

It's so annoying mate, he will chase rabbits all day when out ferreting, yet at night just won't leave the glove!! It's a not good really, as I rarely have time to get out in daylight hours, so was hoping he would be ok on lamp, so I could get him out flying more and keep his fitness up

Have you tried dropping his weight? It can always be raised again.....but careful weight control is often the answer to get things moving......

#13 Longers7

Longers7

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:12 pm

Tried him up and down mate but no joy, he will watch them and Bob his head round, if he does leave the glove, then he will literally fly 30ft then just drop to the ground, he will fly at a lure, dummy bunny, pulled carcass and nail it from long range, this is what's so frustrating about it.

#14 Accip74

Accip74

Hardcore Belgian Ale Drinker, so there..

• Members
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:25 pm

Tried him up and down mate but no joy, he will watch them and Bob his head round, if he does leave the glove, then he will literally fly 30ft then just drop to the ground, he will fly at a lure, dummy bunny, pulled carcass and nail it from long range, this is what's so frustrating about it.

Fair enough mate, haven't experienced it myself, but I haven't flown a red......so just a stab in the dark (pardon the pun)
I know what I would try......

Edited by Accip74, 29 January 2015 - 09:34 pm.

#15 bullet

bullet

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:47 pm

sound like lack of confidence, try using a lamp with a wider beam

maybe it been lamped before and had a bad experience, who knows without knowing its history

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users