I'm Not Proud Of Myself But.......

So on Wednesday I got a new perm (thanks to mattybugeye for the introduction), lovely perm probably a few hundred acres, overrun with rabbits, crows, magpies and a bit of a fox problem.

I wanted to make a good impression so I thought I'd go up the next day and hit the rabbits hard. I meant to get up at first light and drive across but I ended up celebrating a bit hard (this is my first perm thats nice and easy to get to, my other is 30 miles away) and unfortunately didn't get up until 11am and didnt get to the perm until half 1. Anyway, i thought the nice walk and the fresh wind would do me good so I got well wrapped up, unpacked the falcon, filled my pocket with pellets and off I went.

I love horses and used to ride as a kid, I entered the first field with about 8 beautiful, big powerful horses in it. Still feeling rough and definitely not interested in the company of these horses i tried to walk briskly away from them but here in yorkshire the weather hasnt been great and the entrance to the field was a mud bath! Every step I could feel the mud which was above ankle deep trying to suck my wellies off (ooer) and every time i turned to look behind me all 8 of these horses were stood perfectly still looking at me as if to wonder what I was looking at. I plodded on slowly through the mud until i eventually found some harder ground.

I walked the perimeter of the perm which was a fair old walk, found a nice pond, more horses and a couple of magpies that were either out of range or too close to the horses to take a safe shot. I carried on walking feeling worse and worse and looking for a tell tale sign of rabbits so i could stop and have a rest......nothing! This place is overrun with rabbits and i can't find a single shit, dig or warren???? I carried on walking back now round the other side of the perm when I noticed an embankment which I was told (by TomBurras) that thats the hotspot for them. I walked over and I could see definite signs of rabbit activity and literally 25-30 yards away a fallen tree.....perfect cover.

I walked round behind the tree and there was an old tyre there which was fairly obvious had been used as a seat so someone had had the same idea as me, perfect. I laid my falcon on its bipod in a nice little gap and got comfy on top of the tyre and my padded gunbag and waited..........

40 mins later I woke up to the sound of magpie chatter, shot the magpie and went home.......really hoping the farmer didnt see me!!

Moral of the story is if youre gonna get pissed the night before a shoot, you'll probably make a better impression by not going :)

• Like 9

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So on Wednesday I got a new perm (thanks to mattybugeye for the introduction), lovely perm probably a few hundred acres, overrun with rabbits, crows, magpies and a bit of a fox problem. I wanted to m

Heres Matty at 2am after a few sherbets.....

time to stop drinking when your waking to a turd in the bed

Posted Images

I was feckin freezing pal. Mrs was in a mood because she'd gone to bed the night before alone at 11pm and i staggered into bed at 3.15am. Id left all my empty cans and bottles all over the table downstairs along with the crumbs from the cheese and biscuits that apparently I ate(?) and then disappeared out hunting.....

Daren't tell her anything when I got home so just went back to sleep on the sofa!

• Like 2

Quality lol. We'll done on the magpie tho! I'm sure you will see rabbits out and about in a few months, there is plenty of rabbits on there. I'll meet up with you some time with the ferrets and bolt a few. At least you woke up before it got dark - that would have been confusing!

• Like 1

Probs the best 40 mins sleep you will have had.

iv done it loads of times when lay,d up waiting on the little feckers coming out ,in the summer when the sun is beating down on your back and just a little breeze lol

nice read bud

atvbmac :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1