Whistle Training

This is my 6 month old lab,

Most of her basic commands ie. sit,stay,heel,and recall are almost spot on and I was looking at starting whistle training,

Is it to soon and should I wait till all commands are perfect before moving on all tips are welcome thanks!

post-96941-0-64071400-1420648773_thumb.jpg

Nice looking Lab.

Its never too soon to start introducing the whistle, start with something simple like the stop whistle, walk the dog nicely to heal on the lead, a single peep on the whistle and stop/ stand still, small tug on the lead to make the dog sit....simple exercise, wait about 10 seconds then move off with the "heal" command. Continue this until the dog gets it 100%

This not only helps to introduce the whistle but it also tells the dog that if you stop/ stand still he should sit at the same time....

You must make sure your methods are consistent...

Please also consider training should be fun for the dog and in short bursts, say 10-20 mins at a time, too long and the dog will lose interest and become bored and disobedient....and always try and finish the session on a positive note.....happy happy happy

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Couple of important points: when you teach your dog always keep whistle in your mouth get used to it in there and be able to talk as well, teach sit means sit and stay, break the stay with a command "heel" is usual. so in the garden anywhere you say sit just blow once, and if possible as you say sit, blow once and put your hand out at him. so you will have 3 command all meaning the same and he will learn all 3 mean sit, you can drop any one and use 2 commands and rotate which you use.

The reason sit means sit and stay will become apparent in later life but an exercise you try when you have the sit is to walk in a line, as you walk blow whistle you keep walking the dog should sit, as you walk off do a circle and walk past your dog and say heel.

The key to this no matter where you are and only after your dog sits to whistle every time can I say that again as its important. Now you can introduce the recall, face your dog say sit and or blow whistle dog sits, you walk backwards hand out from 5 paces to 10 paces to start and at any point your dog moves take him by his collar and put him back on the spot he was on, do not say a word to him make him sit blow whistle do it again but not as far. but in 10 times you walk away 6 times walk back to him. when you face the dog sitting at 10 paces normally you would call him and he would come to you but as you do it blow 2 short pips on the whistle, as he comes to you put him by your side in sit then make a big fuss and loads of praise when he does it right.

do not do anymore than 10 mins in any one session, do not do it in a field where there are loads of distractions, smell, other dogs etc.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the advice mate I've given her a couple weeks on the stop whistle and she sits and stop every time the whistle blows no matter how far away she is

Her recall is also coming a lot great

post-96941-0-10865900-1425230158_thumb.jpg

You've evoked some beautiful memories. Kate, a wonderful companion, fearless, tireless and utterly obedient.Even though she's been gone a long while I remember her training like it was yesterday. 'THE WHISTLE'? We worked tirelessly on basic commands with the help of 3 local gundog clubs, including the National Retriever Club. The little girl won at Canwell Show which was a tear jerker. THEN. Into the first field dog trial, held up at Barton on Humber. She was given a retrieve on a woodcock. Heaven forbid I had no idea that they omitted the same scent as a starling which I gather is scant. She ran over it like a freight train. As you might imagine I engaged brain and 'WHISTLED' like a madman to stop her. Stop she did. Hand signals and back she came to the retrieve. Straight over the thing. 'WHISTLE' like crazy. Stop you little git. Go back. Pick the damned bird. Judges pulled Kate off the retrieve and offered it to another entrant. Result. Clean retrieve. End of trial. Speaking to the judges later, I discovered that the reason for the pull was unnecessary use of the whistle. What a bummer. Anyway. Reading your and others comments really brought back memories. That little dog was whistle brilliant. Did'nt take a lot of training either. Methodical, single pip, hand and eye control with the whistle. Jumping fences was a scream. She would really enjoy going for a retrieve and with me giving the whistle to 'Get OVER'. When you get your little dog to enjoy all of this then you will be one very satisfied individual. Look forward to your future comments. JOK.