Recommend A Good Book?

bobkizzyhugo

To the op, whatever you get, avoid like the plague, Harris Hawks, by Lee William Harris, it is utter rubbish in my humble opinion, whatever else you get, you MUST get complete Rabbit and Hare hawk, by the above gentleman, it is a peach.

I totally agree the bit about lee Harris Book - not my cup of tea.

I must admit if you are flying a Harris's Hawk, Martin Hollinshead writes some decent books.

• Like 1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it strange when I see posts saying " buy a good book " because the Internet contains far more information than any book ever could.   The problem with the internet is there is so much garbage

I'd second that, plus anything by Martin Hollinshead are good reads...

Holinshead "the complete rabbit and hare hawk"

Hi Martin , I am lucky enough to say that I have all of your books and signed , I made a point each year of coming to find you at the falconry fair , thanks for putting up with me.

Hi Rowan,

Me putting up with you? More you putting up with me – the poor hopelessly obsessed author!

I haven't done any of the fairs for quite a while – something I should perhaps rectify because there is nothing nicer than someone coming over for a chat and to get a book signed.

Anyway, glad you have enjoyed the books over the years.

All the best,

Martin

Has anybody read the Coulson book?

I've seen it reported that its the Harris Hawkers bible but it's not cheap and I do wonder what can be taken from it. They are obviously vastly knowledgable on the subject but hunt different land, different quarry and I believe are into that mass pack hunting with a load of Hawks which isn't practical or necessary in Britain. Still Id buy it if its packed full with previously unpublished thoughts and ideas on how to get the best out of a Harris.

Hi all, had a read through the topic because im in a similar situation to Bobkizzyhugo and from what ive read was going to get The Complete Rabbit and Hare Hawk, as just mentioned, and also Falconry and Hawking: Philip Glasier, since Martin is in the forum I thought id get his first. So was basically wondering if its worth getting the second one too? is there any different content or is it mostly covered in The Rabbit and Hare Hawk?

Matt

Personally I'd buy martins book and nick Foxs "Understanding birds of prey".I also feel that other books are useful to the Harris Hawker that will use dogs and ferrets. I still think Plummers "ferrets" is a good read as is "the versatile gundog" by Guy Wallace.(There will be good spaniel books I'm sure if you prefer them to HPRs).

If your new to hunting I would get your local library to order you in all kinds of books on Falconry, the better ferreting and dog books(avoid the Bezzant rubbish ) and a few shooting books could be helpful. Where to find quarry to shoot is much the same as where to find quarry to fly a hawk at.

Okay, thanks for the advice pointer! I will order martins now and have a look at the other after that and hopefully join a library soon, our uni one doesn't have any hunting books in surprisingly :laugh:

On top of that...if you fancy trying a nice piece of literature that's truly inspiring, then look up The Rites of Autumn by Dan O'Brien......it won't teach you anything about Harris hawks, but will illustrate what one man, a hawk & pure passion can achieve....Atb

cool, thanks Accip, ive ordered that too :thumbs: wont get them until i go home in about 2 weeks, but found out my dad also had the Parry-jones booked mentioned, but also Emma Ford Falconry art and practice, anybody know if that ones good? he kept a HH about 20 years ago so hoping he can help me along the way too!

I liked the Emma Ford book, its basic but I used it when building my hawks aviary and the food and health care section is good. I also handed it over to the engineer who made my two bow perches. However like a lot of books if you take away the housing,feeding and basic care the hunting part is small.

Okay, thanks for the advice pointer! I will order martins now and have a look at the other after that and hopefully join a library soon, our uni one doesn't have any hunting books in surprisingly :laugh:

On top of that...if you fancy trying a nice piece of literature that's truly inspiring, then look up The Rites of Autumn by Dan O'Brien......it won't teach you anything about Harris hawks, but will illustrate what one man, a hawk & pure passion can achieve....Atb

Yep I loved this as a book to read

ATB

Lee