I am wanting to buy a mamba scope or my .22 rimfire.

it will be used mostly at night with low power torch and add on nv.

has anyone tried both 50 and 44 mm mamba swith nv and what was the LIGHT GATHERING DIFFERENCE IF ANY?

I would prefer the 3-12x44 for the fov advantage but if the 50mm objective makes a big difference with night vision then will prefer a 4-16 x 50

anyone tried both with nv?

Edited by riflehunter583

for nv the 3x12x44 is excellent for close range rat shooting .used in daylight with hmr out to 150 yds no problem. also with a 44 scope you don't need such high mounts , scope should end up nearer the barrel and scope should be slightly less weight. there is a misconception that 50 mm lscope always ets in more light as I read in an article that an adult eye pupil is around 7 mm diameter for max light gathering hence scopes 8 x 56 ,6 x 42 etc ( divide the 2 figures gives you = 7 ).so a 44 scope to transmit max light divide 44 by 7 and mag setting would be 6.28 mag.50 divided by 7 =7.1 mag .so if you use a bigger scope eg the 50 mm one and it is set less than 7.1 it will not let the eye pupil see more light than a 44 set at 6.28 .the clarity is different due to the lens inside.a rubbish lens will degrade the light .

I have a Nikon 3-12 x 42 and its is one of the best scope I have used for low light work so I can see that its not all about the objective. and a lot to do with quality of glass. in fact I have had many 50mm scope that have been rubbish in low light.

one thing I have noticed is although the human eye might be 7mm if you look only using human into cover near dark you see no much, but a good scope /good binos looking in the same place at the same time you see much more lighter picture, so I think there is an improvement to be had on the human eye of 7mm either way on your 6.28 and 7.1 ratio.

by using good optics you can see more than the human eye in low light. perhaps the human eye should be 10mm like an owls lol. joke! but you can see my point that the ratio is a little flawed.

the only drawback I can see with the 4-16 so far then is the loss of 3x mag / and extra weight and extra height above the bore.

• Like 1

Deffo get a Nikon mate, MTC are overrated crap in my opinion, a Nikon prostaff is in a totally different league.

Very true charlie, I have both. The pro staff is miles ahead and not prone to whiteout like MTC

• Like 1

I have the 3-12 * 42 monarch already on another rifle. flawless with gen 1 I can see out to 200yards with a laser illuminator. very impressed with Nikon kit. so impressed I brought some nilon 10 x 50 binos and they are excellent.

only reason for interest in mtc is for the Christmas tree reticule for use with .22lr holding over true mill dots.

Deffo get a Nikon mate, MTC are overrated crap in my opinion, a Nikon prostaff is in a totally different league.

Very true charlie, I have both. The pro staff is miles ahead and not prone to whiteout like MTC

I agree with the above, I'd suggest the MTC scopes are ok for rimfire and air rifles but I wouldn't put one on my centrefire rifle. I had the MTC Viper on my HW100KT and it also suffered with 'white-out' in certain lighting conditions, namely at dusk when the sun is low - usually when you need them most!

If you can afford it, stretch the budget a bit and buy something better :thumbs:

Edited by Elliott

hello Elliott

I brought the rifle off you. funny enough I have a Nikon monarch 3- 12 x 42 bdc on it and its shoots great and looks great too. light as a feather.

chaps

I'm after a nice scope for my .22 rimmy and cannot find a decent one that I like. must have brought and sold 12 and nothing fits. needs to have holdover points like the mtc but as good as the Nikons for low light mill rads and keep zero

hello Elliott

I brought the rifle off you. funny enough I have a Nikon monarch 3- 12 x 42 bdc on it and its shoots great and looks great too. light as a feather.

chaps

I'm after a nice scope for my .22 rimmy and cannot find a decent one that I like. must have brought and sold 12 and nothing fits. needs to have holdover points like the mtc but as good as the Nikons for low light mill rads and keep zero

Sorry pal, I didn't register with your username for some reason! How you getting on with the HMR?

How much do you want to spend on a scope for the rimmy? If I could afford it I'd get another Vortex for my .22LR, maybe 2.5-10x44: http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/viper-pst-25-10x44-with-ebr-1-mrad-illuminated-reticle-105.aspx

its got the 223 bdc reticule its a flawless scope. so light, well made and crystal clear and not bulky. I believe the Nikons are made in the same factory as the nightforces scopes.

local magpies better watch out. that vortex looks good never tried one will have to get the wallet out as my little .22 deserves it being one of the best 22 rim fires made of all time ;)

P1070442_zpsdb8f67ab.jpg

• Like 1

its got the 223 bdc reticule its a flawless scope. so light, well made and crystal clear and not bulky. I believe the Nikons are made in the same factory as the nightforces scopes.

local magpies better watch out. that vortex looks good never tried one will have to get the wallet out as my little .22 deserves it being one of the best 22 rim fires made of all time ;)

Now you have a matching pair :thumbs: