Any One A Sparky?

as an electrician of 35 years i can honestly say that as long as the correct breaker is used to supply the cable [i.e. 20 amp for 2.5mm] and it is protected by an rcd there is nothing wrong with using flat twin and earth to supply a shed or garage. it has to be installed properly using a catenary wire or conduit etc. to support it and the length of the run has to be taken into account to keep volage drop to an acceptable level. it should also have an rcd mains [garage kit] installed at the shed as this is a detached building. as for just using an extension , this is fine you just need to make sure it is plugged into an rcd protected socket. it isnt the best method but isnt a danger to life so long as its protected. Thousands of older houses still have old rewireable fuse boxes so check yours has an rcd if not buy one of the plug in types[powerbreaker]

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am an electrician and no you cant use 1.5 3 core you must use 2.5 minimum. 1.5mm will take i think ul to 26 or 36 amps before it starts to break down but once you start to plug things in the 1.5 mm

Current is what kills correct but considering it will blow the fuse before killing you or trip the switch as thats what the cnuts are designed for, the worst that will happen is a bit of burning, musc

Mate work away, what your doing will be fine, you'll have a 13amp fuse in your plug top and the socket you plug the lead into in the house will be protected by a 16 or 20amp mcb so you will have no is

robbo, on 05 Jan 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

as an electrician of 35 years i can honestly say that as long as the correct breaker is used to supply the cable [i.e. 20 amp for 2.5mm] and it is protected by an rcd there is nothing wrong with using flat twin and earth to supply a shed or garage. it has to be installed properly using a catenary wire or conduit etc. to support it and the length of the run has to be taken into account to keep volage drop to an acceptable level. it should also have an rcd mains [garage kit] installed at the shed as this is a detached building. as for just using an extension , this is fine you just need to make sure it is plugged into an rcd protected socket. it isnt the best method but isnt a danger to life so long as its protected. Thousands of older houses still have old rewireable fuse boxes so check yours has an rcd if not buy one of the plug in types[powerbreaker]

my kennels are powered from my C.U on a 32a mcb, on a split load board, protected with rcds.... the cable is 6mm t+e in metal conduit underground, then continued in metal conduit up the kennel wall and terminated into a small C.U .... it powers 1 fluro :laugh:

• Like 1

robbo, on 05 Jan 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

my kennels are powered from my C.U on a 32a mcb, on a split load board, protected with rcds.... the cable is 6mm t+e in metal conduit underground, then continued in metal conduit up the kennel wall and terminated into a small C.U .... it powers 1 fluro :laugh:

i think you might have overegged it there mate. :laugh:

• Like 1