Nice bit of ground. Got my first woodcock for eating from this Saturdays shoot. I didn't shoot it mind you... that bugger still eludes me! LOL. Just not the ground for them around me. You should take advantage of Irelands woodcock jiggy.

Even harder to catch with a hawk!......only ever managed one & deep down I don't even count it, as it was struggling to get out of cover when I slipped the gos. Truly a masterful quarry.....

I once flushed one that the gos refused, only to see a spar take it instead!

Having missed many dozen with hawks.....a shotgun seems second rate.....

• Like 1

Nice bit of ground. Got my first woodcock for eating from this Saturdays shoot. I didn't shoot it mind you... that bugger still eludes me! LOL. Just not the ground for them around me. You should take advantage of Irelands woodcock jiggy.

we flushed 2 today while out with the terriers,i have no interest in shotty hunting other than id like to do some pigeon decoying some time.When I get a few shell decoys I will defo get out for a pigeon hunt

we flushed 2 today while out with the terriers,i have no interest in shotty hunting other than id like to do some pigeon decoying some time.When I get a few shell decoys I will defo get out for a pigeon hunt

Was in a beating line the other week and shouted one over the line ,it got shot and after looking at it lying dead amoungst the other normal game and thinking to myself it's probebly flown a long way to get here i sure felt guilty about it :icon_redface::cray: and now i keep quiet and let the guns spot them for themselves and one drive i watched 5 go by without a single bang following them :boogy::laugh:.A wonderfull looking bird that i see a lot of as it goes and only looking i will allways be :victory: .

• Like 3

i must admit i thought the same fireman,you'd hardly make a sandwich from one......,the poor buggers fly thousands of miles from god knows where and get flattened by some sureshot intent on having them for dinner lol......shur thats what its all about i suppose

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else been seeing good numbers as on 3 different shoot days in the last week,in Norfolk,Suffolk and Essex i recon i've seen a 100 woodcock easy.Will add just asking from a bird lovers point of view and not a shooters :laugh:

Edited by fireman

Anyone else been seeing good numbers as on 3 different shoot days in the last week,in Norfolk,Suffolk and Essex i recon i've seen a 100 woodcock easy.Will add just asking from a bird lovers point of view and not a shooters :laugh:

I doubt I have seen 100 woodcock in my entire life! :laugh:

• Like 1

To put up a Woodcock is a treat and to drop it is a bigger treat.

Then to eat it is the icing on the cake, BUT, I do have to admit that when I do shoot one I probably spend a minute or two looking at it in my hand admiring him.

But I wouldn't pull on one if it got up looking weak and tired, he'll be there another day.

• Like 4