Variation For A Foxing Riffle

Very true Alsone,makes you wonder,still think the most dangerous calibre is the subsonic .22lr,sounds like a pop gun with a mod and bounces like crazy,and thousands are fired compared to c/f rounds.

........and how many accidents/injuries/deaths do you hear about the .22lr? :hmm:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I still get surprised with the knock Down power and accuracy of the .22-250

Out of curiosity, do you actually need to shoot out to 300 very often?   On the foxes I tend to find it is only the odd opportunist shot I have to take anything much past 200 yards, the vast majorit

A hornet is a bloody good fox round, mine (a cz 527) would group a ragged one hole group with homeloads, and that is the key to the hornet, however get yourself a .222 and you will have one of the mos

Posted Images

Very true Alsone,makes you wonder,still think the most dangerous calibre is the subsonic .22lr,sounds like a pop gun with a mod and bounces like crazy,and thousands are fired compared to c/f rounds.

........and how many accidents/injuries/deaths do you hear about the .22lr? :hmm:

There was at least one last year if i remember correctly, didn't a bloke shoot himself in the head with one whilst rabbiting.

I must admit I've come with a guestimated 6ft of being shot in the head by one thanks to a ricochet off a path after the bullet had passed clean through a rabbit (not me taking the shot). All I heard was the wind in front of the deformed bullet and then it passed somewhere over my right shoulder quite close in. Needless to say I wasn't too pleased with the shooter for taking a shot whilst I was out in front of them (albeit well to the side and out of sight - they did however know I was on the land ahead). It was the ricochet that took the bullet out to the side, although the shot should never have been taken for obvious reasons.

The only reason I personally went for a .22-250 Is its flatness making range estimation at night not much of an issue. I zero at 200 yards and that gives me a 4" drop at 300 yards. Where as a .223 with similar bullet is nearly 6" drop. Just thought for me personally it was definitely the best choice

Dan at 200 yards do you zero point of aim

I ask this because ratmanwan shoots 22 250 and we zero about 1 and a half inch high at 150 yards

This then gives a 2 inch drop at 300 yards

So between 0 and 300+ yards the bullet will strike 1 1/2 inch high or 2 inch low at most

Thanks abarrett Yeah that's point of impact mate. I will have to try that 1 1/2" high at 150 yards as that sounds very efficient. Do you know what ammo he uses as I'm currently using Hornady superformance vmax 50g. Thanks for the info

Edited by shropshire dan

There was at least one last year if i remember correctly, didn't a bloke shoot himself in the head with one whilst rabbiting.

Not a direct result of it being a .22lr, that could/does happen with any and all calibres, and not unheard of with shotguns either! :thumbs:

I must admit I've come with a guestimated 6ft of being shot in the head by one thanks to a ricochet off a path after the bullet had passed clean through a rabbit (not me taking the shot). All I heard was the wind in front of the deformed bullet and then it passed somewhere over my right shoulder quite close in. Needless to say I wasn't too pleased with the shooter for taking a shot whilst I was out in front of them (albeit well to the side and out of sight - they did however know I was on the land ahead). It was the ricochet that took the bullet out to the side, although the shot should never have been taken for obvious reasons.

Precisely, so blame the idiot behind the trigger, not the calibre!

The .22lr is by far the most popular/widespread civilian calibre in the world, of course there are accidents, as with any rifle/shotgun and I personally do not have a statistic source of accidents/injuries/deaths by calibre in the UK/anywhere.

But I have been in this business since I was a boy, I get around a lot, meet a lot of people and visit a lot of sites/ranges, and I could relate far more incidents with other guns than with a .22lr, even back in the pistol days!

Somehow, many people have a misguided concern about the .22lr, the calibre has well known/documented issues, so don't blame the calibre if the shooter is a plonker. If it was the dangerous/killer some appear to suggest, do you not think the litigation culture of the US (etc, etc) would have seen it off years ago.

...and not your everyday foxing rifle choice for many people anyway! :thumbs:

Deker :

Yeah no doubting he was an idiot for taking a shot without knowing where everyone on the land was, no argument.

However, if the calibre hadn't been prone to passing through and then ricocheting, the bullet wouldn't have been coming at me in any event. So 50% calibre, 50% idiot.

Only real saving grace with LR that no doubt keeps those accident figures down, is it's limited range.

Edited by Alsone

Deker :

Yeah no doubting he was an idiot for taking a shot without knowing where everyone on the land was, no argument.

However, if the calibre hadn't been prone to passing through and then ricocheting, the bullet wouldn't have been coming at me in any event. So 50% calibre, 50% idiot.

Only real saving grace with LR that no doubt keeps those accident figures down, is it's limited range.

Do behave, that is an incredibly naïve, uninformed, tree hugger response, loads of calibres go clean through quarry and it is the shooters job to risk assess EVERY shot. There can be no blaming the ammo/calibre, the shooter pulls the trigger.

And as for the highlighted bit...... BULL, you are making a leap of uninformed assumption. But lets assume you are right, that means the .22lr ISN'T the most dangerous calibre then is it, as its energy keeps the accident figures down, you can't have it both ways!

• Like 1