Variation For A Foxing Riffle

Better? Better at the job you need it for you mean...

I shoot a .223 and love it and my mate shoots a .220 swift and he loves it.... Neither one is better than the other for the job we do... But I prefer the .223 because its quieter, has less recoil, the ammo is readily available and it is slightly cheaper to feed... He prefers his swift as it is slightly faster and flatter shooting and has slightly longer range before the bullet starts dropping rapidly...

Its horses for courses, but the vast majority of foxes are shot under a lamp, which is why the .223 is the perfect tool for me, as it is flat enough to 250 to make a clean kill...No doubt the swift and the 22/250 would allow you to shoot a bit further, but how much further can you positively ID a fox at night :hmm: ........ If you are going to shoot long range daytime foxes then thats where the .220swift and 22/250 would be a better tool for the job.... Just an opinion, everyone's got one :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I still get surprised with the knock Down power and accuracy of the .22-250

Out of curiosity, do you actually need to shoot out to 300 very often?   On the foxes I tend to find it is only the odd opportunist shot I have to take anything much past 200 yards, the vast majorit

A hornet is a bloody good fox round, mine (a cz 527) would group a ragged one hole group with homeloads, and that is the key to the hornet, however get yourself a .222 and you will have one of the mos

Posted Images

I'm putting in a variation for a foxing riffle just in two minds which to go for I was thinking cz 527 in 223 1 in 9 twist just fort I'd see what other people are using thanks das

i have a hornet for fox out to 200 yds max very good round imo,but if you want to shoot further i recently spoke to a proffessional fox controller and the best dedicated fox rifle he uses is a 204 cal , very little recoil, very flat and fast and he rekons affected less by wind than the .223..

I have Just put a variation in for one :thumbs:

LD

You won't be disapointed with the .204, if you plan to reload when you get the rifle pm me and i will give you the details of the best powder and loads to use. ;)

Cheers Buddy. If the .223 is a great deal less recoil that'll be the one for the wife as she hates and flinches at the .22-250.

Either of the Hornets or a .204 for her as all have markedly less recoil than .223. If she is flinching she won't be able to hit a cows arse with a banjo.

I'm putting in a variation for a foxing riffle just in two minds which to go for I was thinking cz 527 in 223 1 in 9 twist just fort I'd see what other people are using thanks das

i have a hornet for fox out to 200 yds max very good round imo,but if you want to shoot further i recently spoke to a proffessional fox controller and the best dedicated fox rifle he uses is a 204 cal , very little recoil, very flat and fast and he rekons affected less by wind than the .223..

I have Just put a variation in for one :thumbs:

LD

You won't be disapointed with the .204, if you plan to reload when you get the rifle pm me and i will give you the details of the best powder and loads to use. ;)

cheers mate, appreciated..

ld

I've been thinking of chopping my HMR for a .204 recently. My .17 is not getting the use that it should, mostly due to quarry availability/distance, but I still want to have something in the cabinet that would bridge the gap between my .22 LR and my .22-250. I even lent some thought to a .222, so this topic has proved quite valuable. Cheers lads.

I've been thinking of chopping my HMR for a .204 recently. My .17 is not getting the use that it should, mostly due to quarry availability/distance, but I still want to have something in the cabinet that would bridge the gap between my .22 LR and my .22-250. I even lent some thought to a .222, so this topic has proved quite valuable. Cheers lads.

Thing that would worry me about a .204 is the splash reports. Yep maybe not everyone has suffered it but many report they have and my view is can you afford to take the chance of having an unreliable rifle and then perhaps changing it as these things aren't cheap. Theres no doubting the impact of .204 when it expands as intended.

I'd go .222, .223 or .17 Hornet (.17 Hornet with Superperformance ammo has an identical ballistic curve to .223, just less energy - still has 300 ftlbs @ 200 yds though http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/ammunition/17-hornet-calibre-review)

not sure what the recommended max is for fox with .17H, but should be very light recoil as 20gr bullet and not a lot of powder).

Edited by Alsone

Thanks Alsone.

The .17 Hornet did come to mind at one point, but is always windy where I shoot. This pushed me towards the .222, plus I already handload for my .22-250, so I would have plenty of heads to select from. Hmm .... looks like that will be my way forward. Anyone looking out for an Annie 1517? :whistling: