Variation For A Foxing Riffle

I agree that safety comes from the shooter. However the less prone a round is to ricochet, the less potentially dangerous it is to bystanders (precautions to ensure a safe backstop are never 100% efficient).

So lets just settle for the fact that fragmenting rounds are less prone to ricochet. I think that's a fair comment, and of course .22LR isn't the most dangerous calibre, any shot from any CF is far more serious if it goes astray. :thumbs:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I still get surprised with the knock Down power and accuracy of the .22-250

Out of curiosity, do you actually need to shoot out to 300 very often?   On the foxes I tend to find it is only the odd opportunist shot I have to take anything much past 200 yards, the vast majorit

A hornet is a bloody good fox round, mine (a cz 527) would group a ragged one hole group with homeloads, and that is the key to the hornet, however get yourself a .222 and you will have one of the mos

Posted Images

Why would a centre fire round be anymore dangerous if it went astray?

When applying for my FAC I originally applied for a .17hmr because of what I had heard about .22lr ricocheting, he said to me,"rubbish!, It doesn't matter even if it does riccochet because you won't be shooting near/or toward anything that may be of concern anyway!"

Made sense to me....and I understand what your saying alsone, but it makes no difference, It's all on the shooter IMO.

If you had an accident and was being held accountable for your actions, you wouldnt say it's the fault of the calibre, there will have always been something at fault on the shooters behalf.

CF because it would be carrying more energy.

Yes I agree entirely you can't blame the calibre. However, with anything that richochets you have no control over the direction it goes. You could be shooting in a "safe" direction but if it ricochets out to the side, it may be unsafe.

BTW, I'm not in anyway saying .22LR isn't safe, just that it's not as safe as something that fragments, at least in my mind.

Most new rifles these days are going to be able to shoot better than the shooter,

Unless you're looking at a target rifle where millimetres matter then you're safe whatever you buy,

The Howa have been gaining in popularity over the last few years, they're cheap, reliable and accurate for field work,

One minor criticism is that they can be a tad heavy.

Don't know if this is of any concern but I think there has been a bit of a twist in the facts when it comes to the .22lr, think it was last year that I had a look at a chart which shows the varying calibre's and how many times used to a lethal effect, I dont know if this was a US based chart but I do remember that the .22 was leading considerably probably due to the age and ease of use in comparison to other calibre's.

I think this is where people make the assumtion that it is the most dangerous of calibre's...not the right description or choice of words.

Edited by celticrusader

Most new rifles these days are going to be able to shoot better than the shooter,

Unless you're looking at a target rifle where millimetres matter then you're safe whatever you buy,

The Howa have been gaining in popularity over the last few years, they're cheap, reliable and accurate for field work,

I've read great things about the Howa's, made in Japan to a very high standard. Only critisism I've heard is that the stocks need to be upgraded due to excessive 'flex'

Edited by Elliott

I've read great things about the Howa's, made in Japan to a very high standard. Only critisism I've heard is that the stocks need to be upgraded due to excessive 'flex'

Probably the cheapest which is the Hogue stock, personally I think they are the most 'orrible, and worst stock I have ever used...but some people love them!

Thanks just our kid has orderd one so has got me thinking they are cheaper than the cz 527 so may go down that rout thanks das

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Which Howa, is it really cheaper than this?

http://www.czub.cz/e..._SYNTHETIC.aspx

How much are these Deker? The Howa's can be had new for aa little as £495 :thumbs:

Howa are good rifles for the money, no argument, but they will all cost more than £495 if you get anything better than the terrible Hogue stock!

You will have to search and find the best deal for the CZ 527 Synthetic, but I would not be paying any more than £550, and you can use the stock it comes with, but it isn't the greatest in the world. :thumbs:

The howa's are a bit like Remingtons, in as much as you have to chuck half the rifle away and replace with custom stuff to end up with something worth having.

First to go has as been said is the hogue stock, nasty horrible thing. Second you will want a trigger. If you where unfortunate enough to have bought a blued version, it will need to be kept constantly oiled as it isn't the best finish at all. If you prefer a detachable magazine that is another "extra".

When my Tikka T3 supervarmint was on order and i had got to the nineth month and i thought it was never going to arrive i started to price alternatives. One was the Howa and it was going to cost more than the Tikka to get what i wanted. Thankfully the Tikka arrived a week later.

Have you considered the s/h Tikka route, i sold a very nice T3 lite to someone last year with a moderator for £450 in .223. My local rfd has a stainless T3 varmint in at £650 in .222 and i am sure you could chip it down a bit.

Or if it has to be new i think overall the cz are far better value.

Edited by ianm
  • Like 1