I remember something vaguely similar from someone before I put my variation in.

223 is my dedicated night time tool (well will be once i can find and afford a dedicated sight.

Every time i hear good stuff about something then others say it's a disappointment. (N750, N750A, LRF870, X-Sight, and Drone - although the DP is now being upgraded to a newer version due out soon.

The Photon XT is great but needs much more magnification but i'm not into trying to double something that should have been built right in the first place.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fixed that for you fella lol

The choice will probably be ultimately dictated by ammunition availability. Having owned both calibres i wouldn't hesitate in choosing the .204 imo far superior to the .223.   However, if you don't

Obviously a girlie calibre...........     .223 V-max, somewhere close to 200yards

Posted Images

Shot the .223 for many years .then shot the .204 ..i now have the .204 blows the .223 and the 22-250 away out to 600 yrds ...204 is better in the wind and is flater flying and on paper it states its better ,iv never had any runners no matter how big your foxs are....i have a hmr17 .204 and 25-06 and space on my ticket for a 22-250 that i was thinking about building for long range shooting.but not standed ammo 90grn bullets 1-8 twist etc

TBH your claims hold up for heavier ammo 40gr .204 vs 55gr .22-250 if you run it through gun data.

However, from memory several above were listing 32gr as the ammo of choice for the .204, and if you use the lighter ammo, then the energy is way less for the .204 at distance.

I would say therefore that the paper data suggests the splash issues some people have found are probably associated with the lighter ammo. Kind of hard without extended field testing or evidence from somewhere of bullets grains vs splash occurrence. Must admit though, the fact that it happens at all, doesn't inspire confidence in me, although .204 looks interesting on paper.

Well let me tell you i have done extended field testing with 32grn ammo, infact i am about to go and do some more, ie: hopefully kill another fox. :tongue2:

I have killed dozens of them out to 350yds with no issues at all. Folks want to stop reading clap trap on't tinterweb and get out and try things in the real world.

I am off out now with my .204 20" supervarmint and n750, and if there is a fox within 250yds i have every confidence it won't see tomorrow. I know that because i have done it plenty of times before, not read about it :bye: .

• Like 1

Hi guys, some good constructive points made on this topic, I have been keeping my ear to the ground and have narrowed in down to two contenders... My local rfd has a Howa in 204 cal it comes with removable mag, reloading dies and about 100 cases ( not sure how many fireings ) price to be negotiated !! The other is a .223 cz 1 in 9 twist, with T8 mod & a few rounds, wants about £450 for it... what you rekon 204 combo is worth ?? still got to make up my mind .

LD

Hmmm I'd personally go for the cz in .223 depending on the condition, don't feel comfortable buying 2nd hand unless I know where it comes from (not completely restricted to firearms) ...are they new or 2nd hand again?

Edited by celticrusader

This is one reason I'm not a fan of .204 myself.

The 2nd shot here - seen this before. There's no doubting the terminal damage, the fox has it's guts hanging out, so the round clearly fragmented. What's worrying though is how many foxes don't seem to die instantly despite the damage. Not seen this with larger calibers such as .223. It's almost as if you get the shock damage without the shock.You'd have tp say in this case the shot was a little far back. However, with that damage...

You can find quite a few videos like this and I've heard of shooters with experience of this as well:

YOU CAN NOT BLAME THE RIFLE FOR A BADLY PLACED SHOT ...you would need to use 64 gr Match Grade Buger bullet in your .223 to get the same BC as one of my .204 Blitzking 39grn bullets ..the 204 is a vg foxing round out to 500yrds past that buy another rifle or get a 204 with a 1-8 twist so you can shoot a 55 grn bullet with a BC 0.381 now thats high .you would need to shoot a 6mm using 88 gr Match Grade High BC FB Varmint to get a close with a BC 0.391 Buger Bullets ..

Hmmm I'd personally go for the cz in .223 depending on the condition, don't feel comfortable buying 2nd hand unless I know where it comes from (not completely restricted to firearms) ...are they new or 2nd hand again?

Hi mate, Both 2nd Hand....

Hi guys, some good constructive points made on this topic, I have been keeping my ear to the ground and have narrowed in down to two contenders... My local rfd has a Howa in 204 cal it comes with removable mag, reloading dies and about 100 cases ( not sure how many fireings ) price to be negotiated !! The other is a .223 cz 1 in 9 twist, with T8 mod & a few rounds, wants about £450 for it... what you rekon 204 combo is worth ?? still got to make up my mind .

LD

These..what shall I get.....threads are always a problem, nobody really knows what is in the mind of the OP, or their intentions, ability, land, etc.

Personally I have rifles/ammo to cover pretty much any eventuality I am likely to encounter, and I have no use/interest in a .204.

So for me the choice would be easy, the .223, ...(I already have one)......but others rate the .204 for their applications, so, as is so often the case with these things, one isn't better than the other, they are different, get what you think you want!

:thumbs:

• Like 1

The choice will probably be ultimately dictated by ammunition availability. Having owned both calibres i wouldn't hesitate in choosing the .204 imo far superior to the .223. :tongue2:

However, if you don't reload or there is a distinct lack of .204 ammo in your locality then it would be a pointless purchase, or at the very least awkward. Ammo for the .223 is generally more widely available with a much greater choice. :yes:

Have you considered .243 aswell, using 55grn or 58grn ammo it is as flat shooting as the .204 but with more energy ;) However you wouldn't want to do much paper punching with it using those loads due to barrel life.

In reality either the .204 or .223 will do you nicely for foxing or other vermin and a bit of target shooting. Good luck with your choice whichever way you decide. :thumbs:

• Like 3

This is one reason I'm not a fan of .204 myself.

The 2nd shot here - seen this before. There's no doubting the terminal damage, the fox has it's guts hanging out, so the round clearly fragmented. What's worrying though is how many foxes don't seem to die instantly despite the damage. Not seen this with larger calibers such as .223. It's almost as if you get the shock damage without the shock.You'd have tp say in this case the shot was a little far back. However, with that damage...

You can find quite a few videos like this and I've heard of shooters with experience of this as well:

YOU CAN NOT BLAME THE RIFLE FOR A BADLY PLACED SHOT ...you would need to use 64 gr Match Grade Buger bullet in your .223 to get the same BC as one of my .204 Blitzking 39grn bullets ..the 204 is a vg foxing round out to 500yrds past that buy another rifle or get a 204 with a 1-8 twist so you can shoot a 55 grn bullet with a BC 0.381 now thats high .you would need to shoot a 6mm using 88 gr Match Grade High BC FB Varmint to get a close with a BC 0.391 Buger Bullets ..

those .204 39grainers seem to have similar BC to the 223 53g vmax I load. the vmax expand very well and do not suffer from shoulder splash at all.

so in essence your loosing only a few hundred fps or a few clicks to the 204.

I think this thread is 6 of 1 and half a dozon of the other.

maybe the 204 Is a little flatter at 300yards. at 500 either cal needs to be dopped.

sounds like a nice exploding crow cal. tho.

Edited by riflehunter583