Virtually every fox i have shot has had no exit wound, simply a tiny hole in and the insides almost liquified, except head shots where if taken front on removes the rear of the skull. A shooting friend of mine had a hornet and after using mine got rid and bought a T3 stainless lite .204. The proprieter of my local gunshop who has used .222 for years on fox has ordered himself one after trying the calibre. What you experienced was probably due to defective ammo, it couldn't be anything else really. I wouldn't use Hornady vmax, the best by far are nosler varmagedons 32 grn hollow points, absolutely devastating.

Just read that article and he is using Hornady ammo, say's it all for me. My home loads are actually faster than the Hornady factory stuff over a real world chrono. To get the best out of this calibre you need to reload, but then again the same is true of a lot of others. I used a .223 for quite a long time and the only problem i had with it was Hornady ammo, however i will never go back to .223 after using .204.

Edited by ianm
  • Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fixed that for you fella lol

The choice will probably be ultimately dictated by ammunition availability. Having owned both calibres i wouldn't hesitate in choosing the .204 imo far superior to the .223.   However, if you don't

Obviously a girlie calibre...........     .223 V-max, somewhere close to 200yards

Posted Images

I have a 204 and i put 39grn blitzkings down it and i have hit 10" steel targets at 716 yrds with it..droped foxs with it at 384 mtrs dead on the spot ..i like it because you get to see the kill down the scope and its fast and cheap to build your own ammo ...rabbits shot with the 204 .

Obviously a girlie calibre........... :laugh:

post-10759-0-94593800-1420922807.jpg

.223 V-max, somewhere close to 200yards

:thumbs:

• Like 2

If you're going to go wildfire, then do it right, .30-378 Weatherby for the light walk around and .577 Tyrannosaur for rabbits (twice the energy of the .505 ;) ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-378_Weatherby_Magnum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Tyrannosaur

I reckon you could get the Weatherby under the radar of the FEO, if he didn't google it, for deer shooting as on the face of it it's a 30 calibre bullet. Not that I'm suggesting your try. Ammo costs would be horrendous and it would almost certainly pass through with every shot.

BTW, I said wildfire but it seems both the above are production cartridges, just very little known.

Edited by Alsone