• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

there were two different sticks one was a lot thinner than that, but neither had bark on very plain sticks really, a tool used to measure a stint, and tunnel width in hand filling days, or to assist i

This is not a dig at you mate,,,cos I bet your a young fella,,,,but it's a sad reflection of the "time" that somone from the north east doesn't know what a deputy stick is,,a once proud mining area,,,

spot on we called them checks but that's a regional thing, more commonly one was alloy,where we were, which went in when searched before going down, and brass on way out,

What's a deputy stick like mate?might be a daft question aidy

This is not a dig at you mate,,,cos I bet your a young fella,,,,but it's a sad reflection of the "time" that somone from the north east doesn't know what a deputy stick is,,a once proud mining area,,,, a sign of times I suppose ,,,

Growing up in a mining village,,they were a comon sight especially the old retired fellas,,,,seen a few with little metal badges all the way up

• Like 2

This is not a dig at you mate,,,cos I bet your a young fella,,,,but it's a sad reflection of the "time" that somone from the north east doesn't know what a deputy stick is,,a once proud mining area,,,, a sign of times I suppose ,,,

Growing up in a mining village,,they were a comon sight especially the old retired fellas,,,,seen a few with little metal badges all the way up

A lott of retired miners had their tallys fixed to them and for those that dont know wat tallys were they were two brass discs the size of a ten bob peice one shaped like a ten bob peice which you gave one to the onsetter as you got on the cage to go down the pit and the other one as you got off the cage after finishing your shift they then would be sent to the control room individualy to tell them you were down the pit or had come out.

• Like 1

A lott of retired miners had their tallys fixed to them and for those that dont know wat tallys were they were two brass discs the size of a ten bob peice one shaped like a ten bob peice which you gave one to the onsetter as you got on the cage to go down the pit and the other one as you got off the cage after finishing your shift they then would be sent to the control room individualy to tell them you were down the pit or had come out.
spot on we called them checks but that's a regional thing, more commonly one was alloy,where we were, which went in when searched before going down, and brass on way out,
  • Like 2

All over s Yorkshire where I live my old man was a minor him poaching was how me and my twin sis got fed during the strike and put the OD bob or two in the kitty

you and many more mate the old man stocked up on 2 and 3 inch 4-10 cartridges first week of the strike, and it fed us, it was the only way, the dogs had a hard year that year,
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing these memories and customs of being part of a mining community. Knew almost nothing about the way these things went. Now I understand a bit more about the effects of Mr. Thatcher's government policy closing down the mines in North England.

All over s Yorkshire where I live my old man was a minor him poaching was how me and my twin sis got fed during the strike and put the OD bob or two in the kitty

you and many more mate the old man stocked up on 2 and 3 inch 4-10 cartridges first week of the strike, and it fed us, it was the only way, the dogs had a hard year that year,
still can remember my mum coocking a roast chicken and I thought it doesn't taste like chicken it was pheasant lol we as a family ate well during the seasons lol like many others my old man still goes rabbiting with my dogs he tell me some stories about getting such a beating off keepers up North daft git say they was the days haha he loves being out on the lamp with me that who got me into lurchers I will post a thread later on the lurcher section I will call it poaching dogs of old

One of the reasons i dont eat pheasant much these days eat that meny in the strike lol.

still can remember my mum coocking a roast chicken and I thought it doesn't taste like chicken it was pheasant lol we as a family ate well during the seasons lol like many others my old man still goes rabbiting with my dogs he tell me some stories about getting such a beating off keepers up North daft git say they was the days haha he loves being out on the lamp with me that who got me into lurchers I will post a thread later on the lurcher section I will call it poaching dogs of old
that will be some thread mate, as far as I can remember a dog was a tool, and the old man turned everything into a worker, it was before my time, but the old man was given a chiwower x Russell called tiny, was my mothers as a pet, the old man said it was the best ferret he ever had,said it would enter a rabbit set and in seconds it was like a drugs bust, the term poaching dogs of old,could a huge subject, good luck with it,

Am in me 40 s tomo me dad was a ship builder I live a stones throw from the Tyne all me family were ship builders or steel workers cheers aidy

Am in me 40 s tomo me dad was a ship builder I live a stones throw from the Tyne all me family were ship builders or steel workers cheers aidy
Thats another trade that's suffered at the hands of modern times,fare play to you,
  • Like 1