• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We'd better not confuse the issue by mentioning that some folk believe that the black colour comes from Scottish terrier blood, the Chocolates come from a Springer spaniel accidental mating, the white

old time pit-dog old time borders, =patterdale/fells late 70s ... this is what i think was main blood in the mix .... should make for some interesting reading .......merry xmass everyone  

i think the bull blood was put in a long time before BN, maybe further back than J.bowmans this isn't a great photo but its about a hundred years ago, i think what is now called the patterdale may of

Posted Images

It only took one smooth coat progeny that was good and was bred from /to, more than the rest and a Pat type was born . Black being the most dominant colour gene I believe ,gotten from black pits of the era .The border jacket would have been around for decades until fashion kicked in .Interesting Glyn as I looked at a litter of border x pits today with a mate .All black ,border headed with the tight coat .If those old boys hadn't of messed about with the border then its history may of been a whole lot different .

Early 90's Seen some nuttalls straight from the man himself and they looked very "Bordery" :D .

I ran a lot of young dogs on for Brian around that time and never seen anything bordery in any of them,a lot of lads breed black fells and patts quoting them as being bred from him but most have never come from him, his stuff at that time was very typey and the right size for work, like most breeders he ran 2lines and depending who you were or knew depended on what pup he sold you, I have seen a few of his smaller stuff lately and they look like black pugs,in all the time we ran pups on we never had a jibber,some were a little too hard for a long life but looked very similar, WM
  • Like 2

Early 90's Seen some nuttalls straight from the man himself and they looked very "Bordery" :D .

I ran a lot of young dogs on for Brian around that time and never seen anything bordery in any of them,a lot of lads breed black fells and patts quoting them as being bred from him but most have never come from him, his stuff at that time was very typey and the right size for work, like most breeders he ran 2lines and depending who you were or knew depended on what pup he sold you, I have seen a few of his smaller stuff lately and they look like black pugs,in all the time we ran pups on we never had a jibber,some were a little too hard for a long life but looked very similar, WM

Ok mate i never. :laugh:

We'd better not confuse the issue by mentioning that some folk believe that the black colour comes from Scottish terrier blood, the Chocolates come from a Springer spaniel accidental mating, the white chests, feet and toes comes from a Sealyham outcross and that a very influential sire in the last few years had JRT blood in it from the great line of Mr Duggans.

OH, and then the fact that a lot of black terriers here in Ireland in the last 15 years or so had Sam in them, who was out of a pure border called Dandy. When a son of Sams was sent to stud in the states (for $2000) the seller forgot to tell his mate (the buyer ????) that he was buying a crossbred.

When that became known it changed half the pedigrees in the states. Pity that, with them after registering the Patterdale and all that.

And don't mention the Welsh blood and the White lakelands that some of the legends in the game have bred to better the breed in the last 30 years or so.

• Like 5

His early stuff I saw were miniature pits but slate grey . I saw some pics of rough coated stuff that he'd bred too earlier but it was the smooth black bully head that was his type .Wheeler took some of this and added more bull and it has to be said ,neglecting work he went this route

• Like 1

His early stuff I saw were miniature pits but slate grey . I saw some pics of rough coated stuff that he'd bred too earlier but it was the smooth black bully head that was his type .Wheeler took some of this and added more bull and it has to be said ,neglecting work he went this route

he got dog's of him and added a quarter staff