Fell Boots

Those of you, like me, who still hold Fell Boots in high regard may be interested to know there are two pair on ebay at the moment (i cant put a link up as i'm in my phone!).

They only have hours left and the reason they are worth looking at is that they were originally sold by Cecil 'tickle' Otway a bootmaker in Ambleside, who made fell boots for the greats of Fell Hunting.

I say sold and not made but you can bet your bottom dollar that if he sold em they would have been top draw as he handmade some of the best!

I was lucky enough to meet and talk to the old man in the early nineties when his 'making' days were long past but he showed me his books on making his fell boots alongside the men who ordered them from him...

Anyways, if your interested, have a bid, grab yourself a bargain and with a bit of T.L.C. you will get years of digging and hunting with these boots!

;)

Edited to add... They ain't mine or belong to anyone i know, just thought i'd rather them go to someone in the game rather than some rag~arsed student or one of those Nottinghill trendys that want to look 'interesting' this Christmas!!

IMO those boots would still have another good 10 years of hunting a few times a week in them.

But tell me, if you bought them where would you get them re-soled if needed.

I send my Hoggs Fell boots back to them when needed but one time a cobbler was boasting to me about how good he was but when I showed him my Fell boots he shit himself.

Even so, those advertised boots are bargains.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Any info on where to buy good fell boots would be much appreciated,i,ve just bought some hoggs ones and theyr,e rubbish,leather is crappy waxy stuff that will never polish up and the tongue is black SUEDE!,i,m gutted PS they cost £195.00

Any info on where to buy good fell boots would be much appreciated,i,ve just bought some hoggs ones and theyr,e rubbish,leather is crappy waxy stuff that will never polish up and the tongue is black SUEDE!,i,m gutted PS they cost £195.00

the leather wont polish up. Its tough old stuff that needs breaking in and dubbin applied. Its not like your normal soft leather, its built to take abuse. I wouldnt bother polishing any walking boots though, just dubbin.
  • Like 1

the leather wont polish up. Its tough old stuff that needs breaking in and dubbin applied. Its not like your normal soft leather, its built to take abuse. I wouldnt bother polishing any walking boots though, just dubbin.

Cheers Rob I had some years ago and I,m sure I used to polish them ,any way the leather is reverse kip apparently[inside out ]so I guess dubbin it is then ,ps been wearing them to walk the dog forgot how comfy they are.
  • 1 month later...

Mine are very rough on the outside, almost Brittle looking.

the inside though are smooth are pet, mine never needed breaking in, I've never had a blister.

I used Mars Oil to get them a bit softer, and also helped waterproofing the stitching and seams.

Then Bees Wax, now I just rub on Nil Wax on with my hands, and don't bother trying to get them shiny as after 2 mins out the house they are black.

Doing this, and a good pair of ex army Gaiters(the green non Goretex ones with wire straps, they are like a very heavy cotton ventile material)

I then use Fjallravens own Greenland wax to waterproof the Gaiters)

This wax is made by Fjallraven to proof their clothing and is excelkant, as it can be washed out over time if you want your clothes back to normal.

I've done this for a good few years now, and habbr had a wet foot or leg.

Excellant grip, safety type protection, very comfortable, dry and with a good pair of Thick Merino Wool Socks or Bridgedale your warm as well.

Even a pair of Proper Sealskinz Waterproof socks make all the difference.

• 1 month later...