Deerhound Greyhound Collie Greyhound

1 hour ago, Saltmoon said:

I'm not after one but maybe for the next one I really like the deerhound x's they look very workable over most types of ground. But I'm happy with the pup I've got he should make a real good bunny dog. What would a dog of 27-28tts be like on bunnys? In my mind if the dog was flat out it would over shoot quite alot? 

They have long old necks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here you go dinosaurs

Just some more snaps of my bitch that i posted above.. deer grey collie grey think shes 25 inch tall

The Deerhound/Greyhound/Collie combination is a real favorite of mine... I've bred and used them in the past,..never had a problem with them picking up rabbits... Obviously, you want them ou

Posted Images

The Deerhound/Greyhound/Collie combination is a real favorite of mine...:victory:

I've bred and used them in the past,..never had a problem with them picking up rabbits...

Obviously, you want them out early,.14 weeks or so,.wandering around the warrens and learning to negotiate ditches, woodland brash, etc,..and let them learn how to work their quarry,..use their gears,..and agility... If you allow big dogs to turn into stiff old straight liners,..they will do so...

Nice hybrids, .. it is all over for me now, but I've still got great memories of walking by night with them... :thumbs:

File0095.jpg.f4d4f2476f58ebc369f9f972ea832a43.jpg

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Phil Lloyd said:

The Deerhound/Greyhound/Collie combination is a real favorite of mine...:victory:

I've bred and used them in the past,..never had a problem with them picking up rabbits...

Obviously, you want them out early,.14 weeks or so,.wandering around the warrens and learning to negotiate ditches, woodland brash, etc,..and let them learn how to work their quarry,..use their gears,..and agility... If you allow big dogs to turn into stiff old straight liners,..they will do so...

Nice hybrids, .. it is all over for me now, but I've still got great memories of walking by night with them... :thumbs:

File0095.jpg.f4d4f2476f58ebc369f9f972ea832a43.jpg

Totally agree and also one of the worst things you can do with a big heavy dog is let it run only easy smooth ground like pastureland until a year or so old, then when it's big and keen, let it run something over rocks or woodland. Sure recipe for broken bones.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 3

One of my best mates has got a bitch whos 10 yr old now bred this way she's around 28-29" and if I'm honest she's probably one of the best Lurchers I've seen. Her forte was definitely hares considering her size she turns on a sixpence and has a great strike on her. Unfortunately my mates back is in a terrible state he's not far off being in a wheelchair sadly, he's been a lurcherman all his life to see him struggling to walk is a sad sight. I learned not just lurcher work from him but pretty much all I know about the countryside it's animals and flora and forna. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Gilbey said:

hearing about one breeders dogs doesn't affect your own experiences.

The fellas that had them were quick to call sals bulls etc so guessing the majority have gone the same way as the owners?

No but for the last 10 years or longer all that you hear about collie/greys is about hancock and what poeple say about them.