Recommendations ?

Hi all, I'm going to put in for my shotgun cert soon. I will just be using the gun for pidgeon shooting and a bit of clay as well. The thing is, I don't really know with what gun to start with so I would like a bit of feedback on what gun to begin with. I prefer the side by side 12 gauge, as I have shit them before and found I liked them. I wouldn't know what make of gun to get to start with, so please, any advice would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for another post and saw this i can't believe no one has offered advice so here goes. Even though myself and a lot of the older members on here probably started out with a side by side I would say try a under and over or semi auto apparently having one barrel to look down is easier to master than two. The most important thing though is the gun must fit you if you go to a good gun shop they should help you with this. Atb Roy

Yes - the most important thing is gun fit over make and model. However I would agree that an over and under is a better option than a side by side and I wouldn't get an auto, at least not yet.

Do you have access to an instructor or a knowledgeable friend who can help you assess fit? Most gun shops will be concentrating on making the sale rather than ensuring the gun is right for you.

• Like 1

You 1st need to establish what gun you like balance wise, as people tend to fall into 1 of 2 main camps, Browning or Beretta (these companies also make several lesser brands).

Personally, I'd start by doing some clay shooting at a ground with hired guns and find out which you like for balance, then take it from there.

Most people for clay shooting or pigeon shooting use a 28" or 30" O/U.

No reason why you couldn't use a S/S game gun as Charlie suggested though if that's what floated your boat, especially for the pigeon. However, it wouldn't be the usual choice.

Personally, I'd always buy a 30" Browning O/U, but that's my personal choice for length / balance / brand. You need to find out what suits you.

I'm a big Side by Side fan like Charlie,

However, I also have other guns that I would use for Pigeon, Clays and other things,

Personally, for a starting gun where clays and pigeons are involved I would be looking at an O/U. They are more suited to clays and will be a bit heavier than most side by sides to soak up a bit of recoil, which isn't a bad thing when you've shot 100 clays or pigeons.

If you find in a year or two when you've become used to shotgun shooting that you want something lighter for rough shooting, then at least you'll have the experience under your belt which makes it a bit easier.

But again, make sure whatever gun you choose fits!

CZ/Huglu makes good shotguns, you could get a 12 bore side by side. Anything Miroku makes seems to be technically well executed, although a little bit off the mark.

When only one shotgun was required bought a Remington 1100 back in the '70s in 12 bore. Wouldn't buy anything Remington now. My purchase this year was a Model 12 Winchester 16 bore pump, made in 1940. Well made and improved cylinder, not a full. The slide on the pump can help you redirect the shotgun for the next shot.

The cheapest and most versatile is a 12 gauge in 2 3/4".

Regards,

RiverRomper

Miroku and Winchester are owned by the Browning Group. ;)

Nothing wrong with Miroku unless they've changed since I last shot them, which admittedly was a few years ago now.

In my experience both Miroku and Winchester have a really nice balance and feel like a Browning. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either brand if I couldn't afford an actual Browning branded gun.

Edited by Alsone

Thanks for the replies. I have been shooting at a local clay shooting club but I haven't been for a while. When I was there I was using over and indeed but I'm not sure what make or size. All I can say is that I wasn't very comfortable and I wasn't hitting many. In the summer I like to go to a lot o game fairs and I always have a go on the clay shoot and I always use the side be side, using this type I am a much better shot and feel more comfortable so that is why I'm edging towards a side by side. I just thought I would try and get the advice of more experienced folk before I go ahead. Again, thanks for the advice.

Regards Chris.

Thanks for the replies. I have been shooting at a local clay shooting club but I haven't been for a while. When I was there I was using over and indeed but I'm not sure what make or size. All I can say is that I wasn't very comfortable and I wasn't hitting many. In the summer I like to go to a lot o game fairs and I always have a go on the clay shoot and I always use the side be side, using this type I am a much better shot and feel more comfortable so that is why I'm edging towards a side by side. I just thought I would try and get the advice of more experienced folk before I go ahead. Again, thanks for the advice.

Regards Chris.

was that always the same o/u and the same s/s? If so then I suspect differing gun fit is the reason you get on better with the s/s and not the barrel config.

Just to clear a possible point of confusion up, barrel length has nothing to do with fit. Fit is down to the stock dimensions / shape. Barrel length only really affects swing and accuracy (some might say balance but I've never noticed any real difference myself and I'm sure manufacturers would compensate for balance).

I like my SX 3 semi auto. I don't like the kick on non semis. They don't like them at the clay shoot cause you can't see if it's unloaded at a glance, not like you can with a broken barrel. The 3 shots is good for pigeons though.

Just take your time pick lots of shotguns up and don't rush into buying one ,I started clay shooting and looked around at different shotguns and ended up buying a silma sporter which is a budget clay gun ,and I realy struggled with it I found it to heavy and clumpy and it knocked my shoulder around a bit ,so I swapped it for a lincoln premier game gun which is a lot lighter and my scores have realy improved I shot 28 outta 5o the other week and the gun feels right for me,it's all about gun fit ,if you rush into it you will end up buying twice and loose money

Gun fit is so important, and generally that is much harder with a SBS.

Personally I hate the things, simply can't get on with them (or perhaps I have just never found the right one), O/U or Semi for me.

If you want SBS there will be little choice but to keep looking and trying until you find one that fits and you can afford.

ATB!