It would interest me to know what you lads think a keeper should be paid

I know keeping is more of a life choice than career choice and you only get out of it what you put into it as in any job but I think a lot of people on here took it as he'd jack and should be grateful that he can't afford to put food on the table and while working his arse off his employer treats him like shit.

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the days of beat/under keepers being treated like shit and living in a damp shit holes, should be behind us by now. I've worked for some arsehole headkeepers who never have a good word for you no matt

I had a friend who came into keepering at the age of 17,moved down from a shoot in derby,stayed at shoot 4yrs, but started to get the taste of life outside work, made more friends, started drinking wi

Best of luck in whatever you choose mate .Many on here and across the country will have endured the same but come through it .My gripe is that youngsters in general these days are quitters and i label

Gone are the days you need to doth your cap and pay for the privellage to work go these people.

It's about time the industry caught up with the times.

I wouldn't wish anyone to have to earn peanuts for their blood sweat and years then to make it worse get endless shit from their head keeper.

I travelled daily to my first job ,a round trip of 70 miles .No fuel paid for the princely sum of 87 quid a week .Petrol was 20 a week .No house ,complicated.Expected to be on rearing field for 0430 and some days had to stay on lamping as part of a rota .Tips were split 60-40. 60 to head keeper and 40 between 4 beats .We got roughly 300 a month tips which was considerably more than the neighbouring estate got .One suit a year ,cartridges on demand and days loading if you were good enough which more than doubled the weekly wage in a day .Tasks were laid out daily from keepers house after breakfast and you never went home till done .The bosses dogs were our resposibilty as were the heads ,cleaning walking ,feeding .Shoot days started at 0500 for us ,feeding in the dark on straw rides and we had to check all traps before 0730 when it was quick breaky at heads and brief on the day .Mid week to save time we would feed at night in the dark to save time

its a tough job no dout,i would nt do it personally,too long hours for the money.and i know some shooters are good lads but you allways get the cocks.run a syndicate now for basically free,but its for alot of friends,and we get the run of land.its a hobby so work aswell.

I couldn't be arsed to even reply on this anymore I get nothing but heat for wanting another chance I know I made a mistake but when your paying all bills except rent, my oil for heating was £300 for 500litres, everything adds up, £170 a week at 18 paying all bills including car to run and insure, dogs to feed, gear to buy because I wasn't supplied with anything, my parents paid for my food shopping and when they haven't got a lot themselves times a hard I had to give up the go, end off, I made my mistake and I learnt from it I should have found another job while I was in one.

If what your sayings true then fair play. Its 2015 and nobody should be on less then minimum wage for anything. And if you are your bills should have atleast been paid. If keeping is that shit then get yourself a trade do an apprenticeship or whatever and if take shooting up or whatever else as a hobby. When i first left school i played rugby full time. In the end you get no wage out of it untill you hit make the grade fully and even then the money isnt that great unless your the best of the best and you loose interest. Anyway i f****d it off and have now almost finished my apprenticship im earning good money and im finally enjoying my sport once again. Good luck to you with whatever you do but n°1 has always got to come first remember that.
  • Like 1

Give it up buddy, go get a trade. 3 years at college as truck mechanic then 40k for 4 nights a week. Run you own shoot on time off.

I go shooting and I help out at weekends ............ unless a paying job comes in ! Stroll around feeders on a sunny Saturday is nice, traipsing through knee deep sludge on a cold Jan morning isn't.

Minimum wage for 18 year old is £5.13 per hour I believe, going up in October

I remember at one job living in a caravan I would go in the field behind and dig volunteer potatoes to feed myself and when I started on a moor I would sometimes walk 20 miles....iv walked 7 miles over the tops , done a days hunting and walked home again.......

makes you feel good knowing you did that stuff and stuck it and it gives oldies a bit of meaning to our sad lives to look down on kids today...

BUT....6 days a week shooting and they couldnt pay a keeper enough to feed himself!!!!! feck that they should be prosecuted ......we pay a cleaner a better rate of pay....there is no excuse for it, no excuse for treating people like shiit at all, all it leads to is good lads leaving countryside jobs, getting a proper job and paying to enjoy their sport.

• Like 2