If I was grafting doing 12 hours + a day and couldn't put food on the table I'd be out of there in a blink. Plenty of money in shooting, but no one wants to pay a fair wage.

Mind, the head keeper gets looked after alright!

• Like 4

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the days of beat/under keepers being treated like shit and living in a damp shit holes, should be behind us by now. I've worked for some arsehole headkeepers who never have a good word for you no matt

I had a friend who came into keepering at the age of 17,moved down from a shoot in derby,stayed at shoot 4yrs, but started to get the taste of life outside work, made more friends, started drinking wi

Best of luck in whatever you choose mate .Many on here and across the country will have endured the same but come through it .My gripe is that youngsters in general these days are quitters and i label

It would interest me to know what you lads think a keeper should be paid

Enough to live ,feed yourself and a little bit left over for essentials . I don't know how much a gamekeeper gets paid it's not a profession that's ever interested me ,I want to work hard and have time to enjoy what I've earned but full respect to you lads that work that hard for very little .

• Like 1

the idea for me in the building trade is to train someone hard,push them,encourage them and have a laugh alone the way.pay a reasonable wage,then once thier trained id want them to stay with me.after all ive trained em .pointless them f...g off once trained cause ive treated them them like dog shite,and someone else benefits from my experiance.

• Like 1

The point is not treating someone like shit.....that can happen with any job. Just as much chance having a prick of a boss in the building trade as the keepeering world.

The point is being an underkeeper is tough, shit hours and for very little money. But stick at it and you can get a very good job, full control of your hours, a house and a chance to make some decent money.

I find it hard to believe in this day and age there are positions out there that you can't even feed yourself??

• Like 1

I couldn't be arsed to even reply on this anymore I get nothing but heat for wanting another chance I know I made a mistake but when your paying all bills except rent, my oil for heating was £300 for 500litres, everything adds up, £170 a week at 18 paying all bills including car to run and insure, dogs to feed, gear to buy because I wasn't supplied with anything, my parents paid for my food shopping and when they haven't got a lot themselves times a hard I had to give up the go, end off, I made my mistake and I learnt from it I should have found another job while I was in one.

I couldn't be arsed to even reply on this anymore I get nothing but heat for wanting another chance I know I made a mistake but when your paying all bills except rent, my oil for heating was £300 for 500litres, everything adds up, £170 a week at 18 paying all bills including car to run and insure, dogs to feed, gear to buy because I wasn't supplied with anything, my parents paid for my food shopping and when they haven't got a lot themselves times a hard I had to give up the go, end off, I made my mistake and I learnt from it I should have found another job while I was in one.

Wasn't getting at you mate........I was talking in general. Really in this day and age you should be making a bit of money at the end of the day.

Sounds like the place you were was chancing there luck......greedy maybe.

What was the accommodation like usually that's a good indication of the people you are working for,presumably on all those days shooting you saw a share of the tips?

• Like 1

House doesn't sound that good at all mate hope you didn't have to cover the council tax and water rates was the £170 take home or pre tax.

If anything take away the experience,you will I'm sure now take a better look at the package/shoot before committing to working there it is usually pretty obvious when you look round at interview just how you will be looked after

I was just desperate to get started in ganekeeping so I jamp at the chance, £170 before tax, no I didn't pay council tax, and water was on a spring but it was still hard trying to get new boots and clothing as we'll as stuff I actually needed, couldn't afford carpets so just put a rug in living room

I was just desperate to get started in ganekeeping so I jamp at the chance, £170 before tax, no I didn't pay council tax, and water was on a spring but it was still hard trying to get new boots and clothing as we'll as stuff I actually needed, couldn't afford carpets so just put a rug in living room

That's what these places prey on young lads desperate to get a job

I have landed on my feet in my current job, my headkeeper is top notch and will fight for everything me need whether its in the house or equipment. He doesn't think its right to expect someone to graft their tits off all day maybe in the pissing rain to come home to a cold damp house. he says he doesn't live in shit so why should he expect his lads too?

I think depending on the perks, a beatkeeper starting his first beatkeeping job should start on about 12,000 a year and for it to go up every other year depending on how well their doing their job.

if you go to a new job the number of years experience should be taken into account.

I started on less than this and was over the moon with just getting the job, at the end of the day keepering isn't about the money but just because your doing what you love doesn't mean you should have to degrade your standards of living more so when you have a family that depends on you.

all these miserable old has beens need to grow up and live in the present.