Fac For Deer Calibre Only

Just wondering how it would work, or if at all possible to apply for my first FAC for a centerfire calibre only? I only have a SGC at the moment and dont really have much need for a rimfire calibre, however have a growing interest in deer stalking. Can I apply for something like a .270 straight off providing all requirements are met? Im taking the pre-DSC1 in March, the full course shortly after, and do have a reasonable amount of experience using full bore rifles, although mainly abroad (worked clearing pigs and kangaroos on a Queensland fruit farm for a while).

Cheers

As long as you have good reason there should be no problems although, in the absence of experience the plod will probably state a mentor or dsc is required for expanding ammo and deer variation. Target shooting variation should be a formality.

I'm shocked they actually do a pre-DSC1 course - very ingenuitive way to squeeze every last quid out of you. The DSC isn't rocket science mate, you'll probably be fine just getting the pack and going straight to the main event.

My permissions are only cleared for .22 centerfire, so let say I wanted a .270 and only planned to use it on individual paid for stalks, and in the 100m range at the club....would they go for that?

The ACP would grant only on land that the calibre was approved for as you wouldnt be granted an open FAC to shoot anywhere else with it ( Initially until they consider you are competent through gaining experience) , also he may impose other conditions in respect to you being mentored however this is still a grey area, You would not however be granted permission to use a 270 with expanding ammunition for target practice on ranges you can only use a deer calibre rifle and expanding ammunition for shooting deer or other wildlife as permitted on the FAC but you may use expanding ammo for the purpose of zeroing only but certainly not for target competitions

Re Individual stalks

You will need to provide proof ( Which will be checked) of the dates you have booked in for to use this as a justifiable reason to have a deer calibre rifle.

Hope This Helps

Cap

Edited by Caprelous
  • Like 1

As long as you have good reason there should be no problems although, in the absence of experience the plod will probably state a mentor or dsc is required for expanding ammo and deer variation. Target shooting variation should be a formality.

I'm shocked they actually do a pre-DSC1 course - very ingenuitive way to squeeze every last quid out of you. The DSC isn't rocket science mate, you'll probably be fine just getting the pack and going straight to the main event.

My feelings entirely when I first heard about this.

Edited by Deker