410 Thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k off, nobody wants to know.......   Dan very kindly invited me down for a keepers day last January. Picking up a double 410 for one woodland drive he managed to shoot more birds in that single

i've shot a rat on the bird table from 5 yards with a 12 bore. feck all left of it. And that included the bird table. Effective though

I have a synthetic Baikal single-shot .410 magnum, as they call 'em over here (means it will chamber anything up to 3" cartridges). I put a sling on it, and tend to carry it when I'm out firkling abou

Like most, I started with a .410.

First was a little folder, then I had a Norica. Both put plenty of game on the table.

10 years ago I invested in a Hushpower single barrel (not the Baikal). It was a very useful tool on the bunnies, but I wanted something a bit 'more'.

I forked out a considerable amount of my 'hard earned' for a Stealth Mossburg 3 shot pump, which is quite awesome.

My advice to anyone looking to buy a silenced shotgun is to go for the Stealth rather than the Hushpower.

Now a .410 with a suppressor, that sounds interesting.

Compared to an air rifle how loud are they?

My Grandfather had a folding "poaching" 410, but they got lost over the years. I'm surprised they let you anywhere near an organised shoot with one though

If you actually work out the formula for the cartridge size/pellet count using the usual no 6 shot the optimum pattern for the .410 is achieved at a lot less range than most people assume. It actually works out at well under 20yards for a 2.5" cartridge and a heck of a lot less for a 2".

Most people use too big a shot size. Small shot gives more pellets, better patterns and has plenty of energy at .410 range. Use 8s if you can get them-no more squirrels skipping through the pattern.

I remember reading that the velocity of a pellet from a.410 is only about a tenth less than that of a pellet from a 12bore.Which is probably why the range can be stretched a bit if pellet size is matched to the quarry.

I s'pose it applies to any gun really but .410s more than any seem to be prone to quirks and it definitely pays to check the pattern before venturing out. If only because so many of the old folders seem to suffer " bent barrel syndrome".

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2

If you actually work out the formula for the cartridge size/pellet count using the usual no 6 shot the optimum pattern for the .410 is achieved at a lot less range than most people assume. It actually works out at well under 20yards for a 2.5" cartridge and a heck of a lot less for a 2".

Most people use too big a shot size. Small shot gives more pellets, better patterns and has plenty of energy at .410 range. Use 8s if you can get them-no more squirrels skipping through the pattern.

I remember reading that the velocity of a pellet from a.410 is only about a tenth less than that of a pellet from a 12bore.Which is probably why the range can be stretched a bit if pellet size is matched to the quarry.

I s'pose it applies to any gun really but .410s more than any seem to be prone to quirks and it definitely pays to check the pattern before venturing out. If only because so many of the old folders seem to suffer " bent barrel syndrome".

I use 18g of no 7 and it patterns well up to 30 yards, it is tightly chocked. Anything past I leave alone. Still a very handy gun.gun.

Tomburras-the silencer worked well. A lot of "The Old Boys" would've had little need of expensive Hushpowers.

The silencer works very well indeed. It has enabled me to shoot on lots of land where I couldn't shoot before. basicly its a godsend, as some of the best spots are near houses so I had some very fruitfultrips out with it as I can shoot runners/flyers with it unlike having to use an air rifle. "Old boys"? I don't know what you mean by that - I love my old Belgian folder and prefer that but the hushpower i can't use that in some places.

Without the hushpower shooting a standard shotgun Iv had complaints, some guy blowing an airhorn! Police where called by people who don't understand shooting. At 300 quid brand new (its built on a Baikal) its also the cheapest gun in my cabinate!

My Grandfather had a folding "poaching" 410, but they got lost over the years. I'm surprised they let you anywhere near an organised shoot with one though

A bit louder louder than a unmoderated spring air rifle, the sound is very different. I'd say they sound like a hammer hitting a chisel, not like a gun at all.

You can hear the pellets hit pigeons and rattle through stubble,

I have shot rats, squirrels and magpies off of the bird table from the bathroom window of my Bungalow. That's with 2 1/2'' Eley Fourlongs in a Hushpower Baikal. I wouldn't even dream of trying it with the 12g SX 3.

I have shot rats, squirrels and magpies off of the bird table from the bathroom window of my Bungalow. That's with 2 1/2'' Eley Fourlongs in a Hushpower Baikal. I wouldn't even dream of trying it with the 12g SX 3.

i've shot a rat on the bird table from 5 yards with a 12 bore. feck all left of it. And that included the bird table. Effective though

• Like 4

I think that is on par with hammering in nails with a truck.

I'm glad to hear you got him though