410 Thoughts?

Hi eveyone,

I'm new to the site and just poking my head around a bit.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts or memories of shooting 410's, if so what make/model.

Unfortunately I have only just got my licence in the last few years and as a young boy I would have had loads of fun with a 410 in the woods at my family home, but only having 12 bores in the cabinet.

My first experience of a mini was at a friends a few years back, he had one of the old, and very basic webley bolt action 410's.

This thing look some what knackered but also quite quirky in a way, you had to jiggle it lock the chamber forwards, the choke was tiny.

I think I got 2 pigeons on the wing, clean kills and was pleasantly surprised with the smaller bore. They are a nice light gun and almost feel silly going to a gun shop to purchase one for myself though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k off, nobody wants to know.......   Dan very kindly invited me down for a keepers day last January. Picking up a double 410 for one woodland drive he managed to shoot more birds in that single

i've shot a rat on the bird table from 5 yards with a 12 bore. feck all left of it. And that included the bird table. Effective though

I have a synthetic Baikal single-shot .410 magnum, as they call 'em over here (means it will chamber anything up to 3" cartridges). I put a sling on it, and tend to carry it when I'm out firkling abou

I've had my webley bolt action .410 for the last 30 years, a handy tool for pest control, whether ratting, pot shots at rabbits or pigeons, or despatch of trapped game. I have considered getting a silenced .410 with 3" chambers, but all bar one look clumbersome and unweildy.

The webley, you'll have to pry from my cold, dead fingers

Edited by trenchfoot
  • Like 3

Used to have a Mossberg 500E. Fun little gun for around the farm yard or pens. Paid 150 for it which was a steal.... had problems with cartridge extraction and the gun smith wasn't interested so I part chopped in for 200....

Wish the miserable sod had just fixed it for me but he reckoned "that's just what pump guns are like" so I sold the shop the problem. I'd love another...

f**k off, nobody wants to know....... :icon_redface::laugh::laugh:

Dan very kindly invited me down for a keepers day last January. Picking up a double 410 for one woodland drive he managed to shoot more birds in that single drive with a 410 than I did all day with my 12! Including a Woodcock..... however that alone wasn't enough, oh no..... he managed to drop the f***ing woodcock at my feet with a single shot!!!!

It was an excellent day all the same.

• Like 7

f**k off, nobody wants to know....... :icon_redface::laugh::laugh:

Dan very kindly invited me down for a keepers day last January. Picking up a double 410 for one woodland drive he managed to shoot more birds in that single drive with a 410 than I did all day with my 12! Including a Woodcock..... however that alone wasn't enough, oh no..... he managed to drop the f***ing woodcock at my feet with a single shot!!!!

It was an excellent day all the same.

What can I say mate as soon as I heard "you won't hit f**k all with that" it was game on lol

Hope you can get to us on the next keepers day mate

• Like 1

I got a Biakal Hushpower 410 and I wouldn't give it up for anything,a moderated 410 opens up areas and situations that would not normally be possible with other caliber weapons.

Well said I love mine too, its even quiet with standard 3 inch cartridges. Makes you more relaxed too in some places where that worry is in the back of your mind you might be disturbing someone.

The hushpower .410 is an amazing tool and is becoming the first gun I grab to take out, the .410 is perfectly caperble gauge and people underestimate it. Also have an old folding hammer .410 and that is superb too - get sourself a .410 they are so much fun.

I grew up using a 410,and will never be without one,I now have a side by side 1/2 and 1/2 choke and really enjoy using it,I started with a folding single barrel and honestly think it was the handiest gun I have had,the 410 has put food on our table countless times,and to sit around a building with a 2 inch cartridge waiting for rats,has helped me pass many a good hour, although my main shooting is with a 12 bore for vermin / ducks, and I use the side by side 20 for pheasants, I still love the 410 it takes me back to when I started,I do look for any chance to use it, I have a large number of jackdaws and crow coming to a sheep feeder to have a go at this week, and all at close range within 20 yds, in my mind no other gun fills that gap,as well as the 410.

• Like 3

I too have a Baikal Hushpower. The handiest tool in the cabinets, I've had more fun with this gun than any of the others put together. Shooting rabbits, rats, crows and pigeons. Use if day and night. My brother came out once with me shooting it, the following week he had bought one. I like them so much I have been considering a Mossberg Hushpower pump.

• Like 1

Very fond memories of an el cheapo "El Chimbo" folding single barrel hammer .410. Though the early memories were not quite so fond. After a few silly misses I patterned it only to find it shot high and was ridiculously tightly choked.

So I (er, had :whistling: )the barrel cut down to remove the choke.

It was brilliant for ferreting and when I was Keepering used it in preference to the 12bore on rough days as I could bump the bag up with a few low birds without blowing them to bits or anyone shaking their head at me.

I think the highlight of its career was two mallard with one shot,albeit at only 15 yards but I earned a round of applause.

I made the mistake of chopping it in when I inherited a couple of those old Belgian folders when a friend passed-away and stupidly thought I couldn't justify three four-tens in the cabinet. The Belgian things seem to have a bit of a cult following but though they look cute they are really pretty junky.

I also made a homemade silencer out of a combination of easily available house-hold items but I'd best not go into details :whistling:

Edited by comanche
  • Like 3