Hares In The Morning

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That makes sense sir, also the fact that in many areas, especially lamped, hares will and do run just as fast as in the day, use the same tactics or whatever to escape and know exactly where they are

I stick my neck on the line..   I caught double figures hares on the lamp often - more than once a week..   A lot ran double up but single as well..   The same dogs would blank or be lucky to

think if anything running for its life its going to go the best it can being being it morning noon or night lol

Posted Images

A hare run in daylight, will run the same no matter what is in its belly or if it's morning,afternoon, or early evening.

But a hare run at night is half the animal it is during the day, plenty of good Lamping dogs can take hare's on the lamp but really struggle daytime

and plenty of good day dogs really struggle on the lamp.

• Like 3

Off topic again but I think its just as unfair on the dog as it is the hare to run it in the lamp instead of daylight. Cos when the hare gets away its almost always through no fault of the dog. Always either outrun the beam, go over a brow or through a hedge. If you can keep them in the beam any half decent lurcher will stop a few without much bother. Its keeping them in the beams that's the hard part, not actually catching them. That's why my dogs got a better ratio in daylight

That makes sense sir, also the fact that in many areas, especially lamped, hares will and do run just as fast as in the day, use the same tactics or whatever to escape and know exactly where they are heading, whether they've not been feeding, are slightly peckish, or full as f**k! Plenty of areas where they are as hard to catch on the lamp as in the day. And to the peole who say different, they couldn't have ran frequently lamped hares.

Sorry pp, I know it wasn't originally a lamping question/post, but it bothers me somewhat when people say lamped hares are easy etc etc, most areas they certainly aint! :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 4

A good hare is a test for any decent dog in the daytime no matter when, ask anyone that beat at the waterloo cup, those hare's were corralled into holding fields overnight and brought through steadily all morning into the coursing field to be run by national class greyhounds, I've stood on the bank and watched good dogs being made a fool of and with over 120 competitive runs catch only 6 or 7, the only times there would be more caught was when the fields were heavy and wet, conditions can play a big part in what's caught more so than when, WM

• Like 2

Isn't it the case that prey animals such as hares, rabbits, deer, antelope, horses etc etc have evolved to enable themselves to run the same whether they have been feeding or not ? If this wasn't the case then I think the predators in the savanna would soon switch on to this fact wait until mid afternoon when the animals were well fed and have an easy time of picking them off ... I would think if that was the case lots of prey animals would be extinct and the predators would starve to death .......