• 3 weeks later...

A pan of Cawl ready for the game saturday. It should have fermented well by then. If there is any left.

Cawl002_zps2f833930.jpg

IMG_20131119_140443_zpsb3868350.jpg

TC

I apologise Tc i have only just noticed this. It looks delicious im certainly going to give cawl a try i have plenty of leeks left many thanks for the pics. :thumbs:

What's cawl?

Cawl is basically a meat and veg broth. Each area of Wales has it's own way of making it. Some use brisket bones. but I mentain that cawl is made with lamb.

When I make Cawl it is with Lamb bones neck, backbone, breast or even leg bones. When I make it it is a two part job, first I boil the bones or breast to make the stock, to the bones I add1 leek, 2 onions, salt & pepper, lamb stock cubes x 2 and a small grated parsnip. Boil that on a rolling boil for about 2 hours. Once the parsnip has disintergrated in to the stock I then take all the bones out and add the veg. I use carrot, swede, parsnip and potatoe.

I like them in big chunks and the wife likes them small. So of I make it I make the small dice and if she makes it it's the large chunks.

Boil the veg in the stock for about 2 hours, you will need to have a good boiling potato, Mafona or Nadine are good, as they stay whole no matter how small they are or how long you boil them. Once you think the broth is ready I knock the gas off then add the chopped parsley and two chopped leeks and leave it for at least half an hour, that way the leeks still have a bit of bite to them.

It is nice with french bread, but even better the next day. with fresh cut spring onions sprinkled on top.

TC ( Very kindly written and explained to me by Tiercel atb.)

Edited by darbo
  • Like 2

First attempt cooking cawl had a few tastes very nice, Does not look as appetising as tiercels im sure i will improve in time. :whistling:

ferretingpics822_zps6e614fa7.jpg

I could eat a couple of bowls of that right now. Some crusty bread, starting blocks on the elbows and away to go. :thumbs: :thumbs:

TC

• Like 1

First attempt cooking cawl had a few tastes very nice, Does not look as appetising as tiercels im sure i will improve in time. :whistling:

I could eat a couple of bowls of that right now. Some crusty bread, starting blocks on the elbows and away to go. :thumbs: :thumbs:

TC

IT was lovely thanks again TC :thumbs:

TC

IT was lovely thanks again TC :thumbs:

It will be even nicer today, in fact guess what's for tea today??? :hmm::D

TC

• Like 1