Just A Little Reminder..

The open season for Pheasants is now on, but I thought this may be a good opportunity to remind newer members that whilst it is perfectly legal to 'take' pheasants and other game with a catapult, you must make sure that you have the landowners permission, and that taking pheasants at night by any means is illegal.

Please make sure that any forum posts reflect that fact and refrain from posting about illegal activities like using a lamp to take pheasants off roost at night.

Thank you.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it amazes me why folk like to tell the world everthing they get up to .     some things are best just kept quiet

wallet and leg work lol, never had permission never seeked permission, never wanted permission, i shoot where and when i like and i get everything for nothing its called POACHING.

Some people never learn.

If its aimed at me I have permission and its daylight when I set off and get them .

It wasn't aimed at any particular member :thumbs:

Having said that, I have just removed one thread that was clearly about taking pheasants off roost at night :yes:

I thought it was just illegal to use artificial lighting to shoot birds with?

It's also illegal to 'take' certain birds at 'night'. Night is defined as one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise (Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981).

I thought it was just illegal to use artificial lighting to shoot birds with?

It's also illegal to 'take' certain birds at 'night'. Night is defined as one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise (Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981).

I'd like to see the exact legislation for this because I've looked at the various wildlife acts and the general licence and can't find anything to support this, in England anyway. All I can find is that its illegal to use artificial light to take birds unless they are feral pigeons. In which case using moon light when roosting is perfectly legal. Edited by youcanthide...BANG
  • Like 2

Do your own research if you don't believe me, but here is one quote for you:

Under the Night Poaching Act 1828 it is an offence at night to unlawfully take or destroy any game or rabbits on any land, open or enclosed, this includes public roads, paths and verges. Night is one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise.

It is an offence to enter or be on any land, with any gun, net engine (snare) or other instrument (lamp, slip lead) for the purpose of taking game. The use of a light to take game birds is an offence under section 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Anyone found committing night poaching may be arrested by the owner or occupier, their gamekeepers or servants or person assisting them, on the land or adjoining highway, road or path, and a police officer.

Ignorance is no defence in law.

Please remember that any posts relating to illegal activities will be removed with no explanation, and that posters will be warned using the forum warn system.

1828 Christ lol.

All my roosting is done in the first hour of sunset, obviously

No, not 'obviously'.

I posted this as a friendly reminder to everyone. I've removed several threads that were clearly about taking Pheasants off roost, and if any more need to be removed then the poster will also receive warning points.

This isn't up for discussion lads. Illegal is illegal and is not allowed on here.

So it must mean lamping rabbits too then ? What about lamping from a motor vehicle ?

My patience with you is wearing thin.

As I've already said, this isn't up for discussion; if you need legal advice ask a solicitor or do some research online.