Silken Windhound (Borzoi Whippet Line Bred)

I know for a fact this mans puppies are silkens, and I dont believe for a min that you know of every one of them in the country just because his name or dogs arent paraded around doesnt mean there not silkens. He had the bitch brought in from germany and took it back to be served.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how can you be sure do you know everyone with a Borzoi? and whippet?

get them out behind some long ears see how they perform should be done with in the law of course driving to birds or guns on permission

bonny looking dogs, but if you want to gamble, buy a lottery ticket. If you plan on a successful working dog, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole

Posted Images

how can you be sure do you know everyone with a Borzoi? and whippet?

There are only 55 in England, I brought in the first. They are not Whippet Borzoi crosses, they have some of both breeds in them but that is not all, I bed and showed

Borzoi for approx 36years and although I do see some Borzoi traits they are not much like them at all.

went on line to have a look, they look lovely puppies but look nothing like Silken Windhounds

Zoribo aren't these American bred from borzoi /whippet lines registered about 30 years ago? Your location says Boston so you are in the right place to test these for a few seasons to see what they can do on the big land.Think Americans mostly used for showing and chasing plastic bags dont they? could be wrong though

I know for a fact this mans puppies are silkens, and I dont believe for a min that you know of every one of them in the country just because his name or dogs arent paraded around doesnt mean there not silkens. He had the bitch brought in from germany and took it back to be served.

I take it that you have seen is regisration documents then, I did look them up he showed both parents neither were Silken Winhounds

Zoribo aren't these American bred from borzoi /whippet lines registered about 30 years ago? Your location says Boston so you are in the right place to test these for a few seasons to see what they can do on the big land.Think Americans mostly used for showing and chasing plastic bags dont they? could be wrong though

I think they chase Jack Rabbits as well, I would love to, I took mine up to Scotland to race but it's not the same I know.

I'd never heard of them before this thread so googled it. Interesting read at http://www.silkenwindhound.com/history.html by the person who created the breed. She makes it perfectly clear that what she was trying to create was an aesthetically pleasing medium sized long haired sighthound. It had to have a long coat and look pretty. There's absolutely no mention whatsoever of prey drive or hunting ability. Being sighthounds I'm sure they'd chase stuff with a bit of encouragement and some of them might be quite useful at it. But if I wanted a pup primarily for work this isn't something I'd touch with a bargepole.

But it's horses for courses, isn't it? If you want a medium sized aesthetically pleasing long haired running dog that may or may not prove to be any good in the field, and you're not fussed if it doesn't turn out to be anything special on the work front, then one of these will fit the bill perfectly. But if you want an out and out grafter I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

I should add that because I've never seen one my comments are of course purely speculation. Maybe zoribo can prove me wrong...

• Like 1

there pretty little dogs if you like that sort of thing, but as the man said they are not working dogs, just a novelty breed, an attempt to breed mini borzois. i would steer clear.

They are certainly not bred to be mini Borzoi. They can and do work.

http://www.silkenwindhound.com/history.html

this is the woman who created the breed, she says on her website that they were bred to be mini borzois!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i'm not saying they dont work, the point is they have never been selectively bred for work! do you honestly think that anybody breeding these dogs, which go to pet homes for big money, has culled poor workers/ or refused to breed from one of their champion showdogs because it couldnt put in a proper shift? dream on.

• Like 2

Yes hehas akc papers with the bitch from whom he bought it off in germany and he is a very well respected man who knows his stuff, pm me as I would love to see them flush to some guns we have

They cannot be Silken Windhounds as they do not have AKc papers, I think they are other Windsprites or long haired whippets. Not that it really matters if he loves them.

Francie bred Borzoi and yes she did just want a smaller version. They are all dna tested before you breed and were originally Sheltie Whippet Crosses which was then

selectively bred to small Borzoi, the difference is that the breed has been kept pure. Now, in the States they race and course them and believe me they do very well.

We have some racing for them here, they will chase rabbit or hare but you cannot chase hare round here, the farmers put up trip wires to stop it so, unfortunately it is

just plastic bags or furry skins.