Can you use these woods was walking today and spotted two nice forks. I've never made a catty before but i can put me hand to most things. I've just slipped a disc in me back and waiting on an Mri scan.I could be out of action for a bit so im thinking of things i can do .

If these arnt any good what's the best wood to look out for thanks.

Alder is a deciduous hard wood once dried would be suitable for a catapult. Birch is distantly related to Alder though not widely used because of it size it is still a strong hard wood so again would be suitable.

TC

Gnipper's right.

I wouldn't trust Alder, in fact I wouldn't trust any water grown stuff. Willows, Alder all grow fast and have large ring growth (not tight grained). I may be wrong but I wouldn't trust it.

They make Clogs out of Alder and Cricket bats out of Willow. The are both very light but are fairly soft.

I wouldn't use anything with a pithy core to it, a good rule for natural catties is, any fruit or nut tree will be good, cut them over length to allow for any splitting during the drying process mate, try to cut them with forks at around and inch in diameter. Good luck

Nice one lee green longers

I've seen people put them in oven to dry them out is this right.If so what heat time etc would you recommend.Dose it depend on the wood your using too.

cheers

Sorry to keep fireing questions all the time.Is there any sites or places that you can print/buy designs shapes of catapults etc .

it would just be handy for some like me to print the shape off and stencil it on to the wood then obviously cut and get to work on it.

when i used to make me own falconry hoods there was a handy site that you could print the size and shape you wanted.

or this could be an idea for one of you guys that already have the patterns to print and sell them i'd defiantly buy them.

cheers

Sorry to keep fireing questions all the time.Is there any sites or places that you can print/buy designs shapes of catapults etc .

it would just be handy for some like me to print the shape off and stencil it on to the wood then obviously cut and get to work on it.

when i used to make me own falconry hoods there was a handy site that you could print the size and shape you wanted.

or this could be an idea for one of you guys that already have the patterns to print and sell them i'd defiantly buy them.

cheers

you might find a few here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=slingshotforum.com+templates&espv=2&biw=1400&bih=949&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gfJUVPDHHcbLPczFgcgI&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=slingshotforu

m.com+pdf+templates

and here http://slingshotforum.com/forum/27-templates-support-topics/