Quickest I have skinned a gutted rabbit is 27 seconds. But that was with a 3/4 grown one with a nice soft skin that peeled like an orange. A normal winter rabbit takes about 35 seconds. And an old buck can take up to a minute.

I should add that, those times are for a warm rabbit, it does take a little longer for stone cold ones.

TC

Edited by tiercel

there is a big diffrence on how rabbits were prepared for sale in the 50s and nowdays, the head was always skinned and the bile gland removed from the liver, if the rabbit was being presented at a butchers the liver would be pushed to the front of the carcass with a skewer so to show the health of the animal.more care was taken on removing the pelt as this was worth money also. Mam was very quick but it took her a lot longer than a minute to achieve the standards required in those days :thumbs:

• Like 1

None of that these days Micky, get them done asap. It would take me a good 4 or 5 minutes to do them the old way.

TC

That would make a good video :yes:

Old V new? As the skin has no value these days, it is pointless trying to keep it whole.

TC

None of that these days Micky, get them done asap. It would take me a good 4 or 5 minutes to do them the old way.

TC

That would make a good video :yes:

Old V new? As the skin has no value these days, it is pointless trying to keep it whole.

TC

Old v new would perhaps interest some?

Whilst there is no financial value to skins these days, it would be nice to see the skills shared before they are lost.

Winchester do a lovely little black fixed blade skinning knife with a curved blade. Had mine for about four years and the blade is still in great shape, holds an edge really well and cleans easily. Great value at £12. Just wish it was a bright colour

Ive spent the last while trying to get the hang of skinning in one piece , and salting the skins. I have not decided what il use them for yet apart from a few for training dummys but i just want to use them, it seems such a waste to throw away so many good pelts that could be used for something

• Like 1