Did I Tell You About The Time....

smithie

as a rule i dont poach as i have than enough land to go out on but one day i was offered a trip out with somebody else and mr wilks wasn't playing out so i decide to take lee up on the offer. it was a trip along the motorway nearly in to hull. we was to long net a small spot what lee had permision on but it had rabbits in numbers. we went in my car and on getting close i was told to pull up by the land owners house and they knew we was turning up.

i had ferreted here before so i already knew where the net was to be going and off we set. if i remember correctly it was 150yds on net we ran out that night, taking our time and setting well it felt like all was going to plan. did it heckers like. we walked the field in with the ambiant light from the motorway lighting us up, showing our silouets to all the rabbits sat out. we had in mind this would work to our advantage but getting to the net we had 2 rabbits why there was so few out i dont know as there was only one direction the rabbit could run, towards our net. maybe something had been through not long before we did or maybe it was just bad timming.

with long netting you cant just net anywere anytime as you need the conditions to be correct and to do this one drop i had drove about 50 miles, it happens that you blank or do very poor from time to time so it was no biggy that it was not a big bag as its about working the nets asmuch as the catch, well for me it is anyway

after picking the net up and returning back to the car lee said " i got another drop on about 1 mile away if you want do it".. i ummeed and ared as i new lee had no more land this close to hull. but i went for it. the car was parked on a little lonley rd were i imagine only shaggers and hunters might park and this was next to the drop we was about to embark on. we started with the net in the corner of the field and began to run it out when lee decided to go to the other corner and begin to run a net up that edge ofthe field on the motorways edge.

on finishing with my net i went and stood behind what i remember to be an allY back off maybe a 7.5 ton vehicle as i could not see lee.. i began cursing him as i though he had gone two fields across to walk them in then i seen him. on the motorways edge peeping at me and pointing in what i thought was my direction. i began to walk towards him and he put his hand up for me to stop then began pointing agressively back to were i had been stood behind the waggon back that sat in the field. i turned my head and i very nearly emptied my arse in the back of my pants. the traffic police had parked up to the bumper of my car. it was a dead end and i could not get in the car and go if they entered the field.

with a lump in the back of mi pants and the heart beatin 10 to the dozen i went back to the wagon back and stood against it trying to be flat so it was hard for somebody to see me unless they came in the field. but i was dressed in dpm and jeans stood against a light coloured background ha ha. it seemed like an age before lee turned up and when he did he came from nowere startling me, yet again.. but he was adamant he was walking this fields in now the nets were up. he told me to wait on the net to kill what hit it while he went 2 fields away and began walking the fields in. time was stood still and i was anxious to get gone but after a while rabbit after rabbit came shooting through the hedge and in to the field were the nets were. unforunatly the net i ran did not go the full length of the bottom of the field and all but 2 rabbits made the way home to saftey this night.

lee and myself picked the nets up and made the way to the car and set of on the journey home. once on the motorway i could see the funnyside of the experiance but i had decided poaching is not for me.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another good read smithie. i

. Something happened similar to me a couple seasons ago. The plan was to net a rabbit, go to a woodland and have a get together with my mates, a few beers and smoke with the rabbit cooking on a spit.

we gets to this place I intend on netting. I was using trad nets with the help of two mates to run them out. My mates don't actually hunt but enjoy tagging along and were looking forward to the beer session afterwards more than the hunting. Anyway we get the two nets out on the first drop, walk in the field and get a rabbit. Then we tried a second drop which was infront of a house. The problem with this field is the light pollution coming from the road and it wouldn't be hard to see your silhouette. As we are about to run the net out, a light comes on from the house and then a lamp follows. I hit the deck and my mate follows. We creep closer to the hedge to hide ourselves and hear the footsteps walk to the hedge.

The lamp continues to light up the field over the top of the hedge, I try and control my breathing and my mate is shitting himself. We could have stood up and scared the shit out of this person but I rather leave the land and owner not knowing about us taking there rabbits. Luckily this person doesn't even see the green longnet laying in the grass. Eventually the foot steps walk away and gives us time to crawl back to the net. grab what we can and I stuff it into my inner pocket and we head out of there.

We hurry to the wood, crack our beers. Light up a blazing fire to cook from and to keep us warm and enjoy a few hours.

Same place lamping rabbits and we out run 3 police cars and shit load of police, crashing through hedge, through a farm yard, dogs getting caught in electric fencing. They drive up the lane lamping out of passenger window but we are stood drivers side, the car carries on and we head over a gate and run up the lane to get over another gate but the car is heading back. We manage to make the other side and the police are lamping the side we had come from. My lungs felt like they were about to burst. Now that one will never be forgotten.

You cant beat the feeling of escape when you get away.

Edited by REW
  • Like 3

Remember many years ago been on a local river at the salmon.The night in question i had taken a young lad out with me as my usual partner in crime was lets say on holiday,not by choice.The chap that was with me was from a real poaching family and i actually thought he would no the ins and outs of the game but he green as grass.We made our way towards where i knew salmon would be lying in the river and on the 1st attempt we came away with 2 nice sized fish and so carried on up along the bank hiding our catch in a near by hedge.I made my way to the next spot and the young lad rushed in on the river bank lighting up half the countryside for which he got a bollocking.In this spot we took 1 good cock fish of about 15lb and were about to call it a night when the field we were in lit up and the lights were coming at us from 2 sides.The young lad hit the panic button straight away and almost jumped into the river with fear.I then caught his arm and told him to be quiet and we quietly walked to the nearest hedge and got well in under the biggest bunch of briars i could fid and lay still.Within a couple of minutes a couple if not more fishery officers[as i could not see how many]were standing directly in the field about 5yds from where we lay,then the others who had come from the oppisite direction also arrived,i could hear the young lads heart beat but i just kept squeezing his arm and all we could hear was them saying they are around here somewhere.After what seemed like forever they moved away searching the river bank and also the hedge we was in but passed us by.It was the 1st and last time the young man ever came out on the river with me,i meet him now and again in the pub and although he laughs about it he reckons it put him of salmon for life,lol.I actually got caught myself shortly afterwards,my usual partner had got a release from his holiday resort and we decided to go on the river but this time they were waiting along the bank,as my mate was on bail i had to stand my ground to get him away and i ended up with a heavy fine +suspended 3 month prison sentence,but those were the days or should i say nights,all a bit of craic and something for the frezzer,i know of a scumbag that broke into an eldery couples home and tied up the wife and beat the husband until he got the savings they had,he got fined £200 and a warning,i got almost 5 times the fine and a suspended sentence and had no fish on the night.

• Like 5

Another good read smithie. i

. Something happened similar to me a couple seasons ago. The plan was to net a rabbit, go to a woodland and have a get together with my mates, a few beers and smoke with the rabbit cooking on a spit.

we gets to this place I intend on netting. I was using trad nets with the help of two mates to run them out. My mates don't actually hunt but enjoy tagging along and were looking forward to the beer session afterwards more than the hunting. Anyway we get the two nets out on the first drop, walk in the field and get a rabbit. Then we tried a second drop which was infront of a house. The problem with this field is the light pollution coming from the road and it wouldn't be hard to see your silhouette. As we are about to run the net out, a light comes on from the house and then a lamp follows. I hit the deck and my mate follows. We creep closer to the hedge to hide ourselves and hear the footsteps walk to the hedge.

The lamp continues to light up the field over the top of the hedge, I try and control my breathing and my mate is shitting himself. We could have stood up and scared the shit out of this person but I rather leave the land and owner not knowing about us taking there rabbits. Luckily this person doesn't even see the green longnet laying in the grass. Eventually the foot steps walk away and gives us time to crawl back to the net. grab what we can and I stuff it into my inner pocket and we head out of there.

We hurry to the wood, crack our beers. Light up a blazing fire to cook from and to keep us warm and enjoy a few hours.

Same place lamping rabbits and we out run 3 police cars and shit load of police, crashing through hedge, through a farm yard, dogs getting caught in electric fencing. They drive up the lane lamping out of passenger window but we are stood drivers side, the car carries on and we head over a gate and run up the lane to get over another gate but the car is heading back. We manage to make the other side and the police are lamping the side we had come from. My lungs felt like they were about to burst. Now that one will never be forgotten.

You cant beat the feeling of escape when you get away.

Remember many years ago been on a local river at the salmon.The night in question i had taken a young lad out with me as my usual partner in crime was lets say on holiday,not by choice.The chap that was with me was from a real poaching family and i actually thought he would no the ins and outs of the game but he green as grass.We made our way towards where i knew salmon would be lying in the river and on the 1st attempt we came away with 2 nice sized fish and so carried on up along the bank hiding our catch in a near by hedge.I made my way to the next spot and the young lad rushed in on the river bank lighting up half the countryside for which he got a bollocking.In this spot we took 1 good cock fish of about 15lb and were about to call it a night when the field we were in lit up and the lights were coming at us from 2 sides.The young lad hit the panic button straight away and almost jumped into the river with fear.I then caught his arm and told him to be quiet and we quietly walked to the nearest hedge and got well in under the biggest bunch of briars i could fid and lay still.Within a couple of minutes a couple if not more fishery officers[as i could not see how many]were standing directly in the field about 5yds from where we lay,then the others who had come from the oppisite direction also arrived,i could hear the young lads heart beat but i just kept squeezing his arm and all we could hear was them saying they are around here somewhere.After what seemed like forever they moved away searching the river bank and also the hedge we was in but passed us by.It was the 1st and last time the young man ever came out on the river with me,i meet him now and again in the pub and although he laughs about it he reckons it put him of salmon for life,lol.I actually got caught myself shortly afterwards,my usual partner had got a release from his holiday resort and we decided to go on the river but this time they were waiting along the bank,as my mate was on bail i had to stand my ground to get him away and i ended up with a heavy fine +suspended 3 month prison sentence,but those were the days or should i say nights,all a bit of craic and something for the frezzer,i know of a scumbag that broke into an eldery couples home and tied up the wife and beat the husband until he got the savings they had,he got fined £200 and a warning,i got almost 5 times the fine and a suspended sentence and had no fish on the night.

i think you should start your own theads and give the others something to read as many will miss your stories in the longnet section

• Like 3