Thl Remembrance Roll Of Honour ?

The uncle I never got to meet... eldest brother to my mother.Frederick John Boorman, Private 14517075, Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment. Died 5th January 1944 aged 19 years. Son of Frederick Hector and Francis Kathleen Boorman of Mottingham, Kent. Born South East London. Resided Kent. Buried Carbonara di Bari War Cemetery, Puglia, Italy. Grave reference VI.A.4. attachicon.gifFrederick John Boorman.jpg

My old man was with the RWK mate, he was POW 39-45.

• Like 1

The uncle I never got to meet... eldest brother to my mother.Frederick John Boorman, Private 14517075, Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment. Died 5th January 1944 aged 19 years. Son of Frederick Hector and Francis Kathleen Boorman of Mottingham, Kent. Born South East London. Resided Kent. Buried Carbonara di Bari War Cemetery, Puglia, Italy. Grave reference VI.A.4. attachicon.gifFrederick John Boorman.jpg

My old man was with the RWK mate, he was POW 39-45.

They all did their bit mate, heroes the lot of them.

Although I have tried, I can't seem to find any further info, other than his name is etched into a plaque at Hythe War Memorial in Kent, adjacent to the Royal Military Canal. Appears that in 1996 some thieving scrotes nicked the bronze angel on the memorial, now been replaced.

.post-84277-0-23860700-1416497179.jpg

• Like 1

It's hard to find stuff on the RWK, but if you search the net it's there.

Dover castle has a display with a fair bit about the West and East kents......they gradually morphed into what is today PWRR

• Like 1

The most decorated regiment in the Army mate ;)..........57 VCs in the history of all the regiment that came together to make up the modern version

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

April 25th marks the start of the anniversary of Gallipoli campaign1915 , gunner Harry Cadman born in Heath Hayes & joined the Australian army & was one of the first to land in Gallipoli , he is my great great uncle on my moms side

post-3174-0-45951900-1422485189_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

GreatUncleBilly002_zpsqwvadfpi.jpg

DSCF0871_zpseojn7rke.jpg

Gt Uncle Willy Amour. 11th Btn DLI

Went right through the war, most big battles, to the last big German Offensive in March 1918

• Like 2

post-8857-1131824453_zpsdtxnmnkr.jpg

DSCF0895_zps5a4zzdta.jpg

My Gt Grandad, who drowned on guard duty, on Newcastle Upon Tynes Swing Bridge, on a thick foggy night, 2nd May 1915, as the regiment was loading.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • IanB unpinned this topic