Thl Remembrance Roll Of Honour ?

As well as our usual input, to mark Remembrance Day, this year of course marks the centenary of the outbreak of the Great War.

Every single family will have lost a loved one in either or both of the World Wars, and combat operations finished in Afghanistan just today, so perhaps this year we could do something fitting ?

So, do we think there would be any interest in pinning a thread, where we could remember individuals by name, from great-grandparents to friends, who have died in the many conflicts down the years. Some may even be lucky enough to have old photo's they'd like to share.............

What do you all reckon ?

• Like 9

Exactly I'll stick a mention in for the Irish regiments north and south for they played a big part in the wars, bitterness or not they died fighting for us to be free. Respect to them all who fell. Fighting for good

• Like 5

My great-grandfather, William Widdowson, Private 11059 of the 2nd Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby).

Died at the Somme, 27th July 1916, son of William and Sarah Jane.

Also, my school friend Steward Mark Stephens, killed aboard HMS Antelope in San Carlos Water, Falklands, 23rd May, 1982

Edited by Blackbriar
  • Like 10

The proudest man I ever got to meet, my father in law SGT Jack Terry 11th scottish commado & 1st SAS.

The times I have sat in awe and listened to some of the operations he had undertaken, and these from a man who was just in his twenties.

Our country was built on the back of men like this, just a shame our present day politicians cannot show the shame strength and courage for the future of our country.

God bless them.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/veteran-commando-breaks-his-silence-over-bid-to-kill-rommel-1.370443

• Like 9

I'm not sure our Lions of the past would Fight for the Donkeys that have led us over the last 30 years or so and def not for the shower in office now.

They'd more than likely instigate a military coup to save their Nation ?

max I have to agree with you there, what's infecting the minds of modern Britons today?

This is Chris. Chris was my friends father in law, and a few times we sat with a Whisky and he told us of his life.

He never spoke much about what he did, but sometimes he would tell us stories that sounded like a movie.

He scaled cliffs to kidnap Nazi officers from Austrian castles, having to fight his way out.(Turns out one was way to noisy so they had to shoot him and make good their escape)

He was deaf for weeks, after being blown up on a ship in Monte Cassino harbour during the Battle of Monte Cassino. He said the floating dead filled the entire scene.

He was brought out of a Russian concentration camp under the deal with Churchill to supply Polish pilots, and ended up being trained to fight as a free Polish commando. Trained by (if I remember correctly) the original incarnation of the SAS.

A bone fide ,real life war hero. And a gentle nice man.

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2012/feb/09/christopher-wielgos-obituary

• Like 4

Great uncle Private 1783 William Martindale Royal Fusillers 11th Bn.

Son of charles Martindale husband of Jane Martindale of 24 Dorothy Street Thatto Heath St.Helens

Date of death 22.10.17 Monday

Age 27

Killed in action Flanders

Remembered on the St.John the Evangelist Ravenhead War Memorial St.Helens Merseyside.

From a newspaper cutting-In loving memory of Private William Martindale 11th Fusillers killed in action October 22nd 1917 Aged 27

He answered his countrys call

Thy will be done

He little thought his time so short in this world to remain

Though from home he went

Never to return again

No loved one stood near him

To bid a fond farewell

Not a loving word could he leave

To those who loved him so well

From his sorrowing father and mother

Sisters and brothers and brother joe in india.

Edited by darbo
  • Like 2

Mark Benson Armer, army service core, fatally wounded on horse back on the 2nd day of the somme, he was delivering ammunition to the guns, he returned to england and died of his wounds in a military hospital in essex , he was my great grandad and is remembered on the kendal war memorial R.I.P 2 other great grandads returned but both terribly wounded , grandad watson was gassed and had open wounds on his hands that never healed, and grandad nalias had half his face blown off,

ww2 hughie nalias was my great uncle and was captured in burma by the japanese, spent 4 years in captivity, lost his hair , his teeth , a lung and a kidney, and came home a walking skeleton, one of the nicest old boys you could meet

Edited by armdog
  • Like 2
  • IanB unpinned this topic