Hi there, I'm after some ideas for beaters soup . I make a soup every week for the beaters , I usually make a veg soup or one made with tinned tomatoes . I get the feeling they may fancy a change . Any ideas would be welcome , I make it for 16 - 18 nothing too complicated and no pumpkin recipes Tried that one and it didn't go down well . I would appreciate any pointers and fresh ideas , thanks

Cawl pys. Pea and ham every one loves that.

TC

that's the idea , sounds good , I'll google a recipe and give it a go . I'll let you know how it goes down .

Ill give you the Welsh recipe for Cawl Pys here and now.

Buy two gammon hocks. Place in a very large pan along with 4 chopped onions, bring to the boil and simmer till the meat is nearly falling of the bone about 2 hrs. Take the hocks out of the stock, add either soaked dried peas or frozen mushy peas about a kilo and a half add half a kilo of chopped carrots, and half a kilo of small diced potatoes. Take all the skin and fat off the hocks break all the meat up into shreds and add to the soup. Then taste for seasoning as it all depends how salty the hocks were as to how much seasoning it needs. Simmer for an hour and it's ready.

Total cost about £7 Can be made the day before and rewarmed when needed (It's always better on a second warming). Other veg can be added if so desired.

This is my cawl pot.

IMG_20131119_140458_zps4f8e32c7.jpg

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 6

Thanks tiercel that's just what I was hoping for . Price is important and £7 seems reasonable . And even for someone with basic culinary skills like me , it seems straight forward . Many thanks for your help

My pleasure.

TC

If cost is a major factor then they can be cut by using cooking bacon instead of hocks and Leo dried peas instead of frozen mushy peas. I state Leo peas as they come with a small muslin sack in the box, use these to cram the cooking bacon into, then when boiled it comes out as one lump of meat that can be shredded easily.

TC.